Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 11:39 PM

4 posts, read 4,368 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I currently live in Edmonton but am from Winnipeg.

I moved out west but am not liking it, I've always loved Montreal and I do know french (not fully fluent but I keep up with it)

Now I'm wondering, for having a job in trades; roofing in particular. Would I have trouble finding a job without a vehicle? and also without speaking French fully fluent.

I have yet to find information on how the trades work for being bilingual. What makes sense to me is that as long as I can get my job done and am learning and speaking French when I can respond in it, I shouldn't have a problem, right?

Anyways please let me know, as I can see Montreal seems to have a great system for public transportation.

Thanks all and hope my post wasn't too long and dragging on haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 02:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
You may want to look into what provincial (Quebec)certification requirements you may need to acquire to be eligible to work in the construction industry here in Quebec as the government can get quite anal about compliance..

Old 01-19-2012, 02:42 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
Public transit in Montreal is good. It can be a pain sometimes to get to places in the 'burbs, but if you give yourself enough time you can get to almost any suburban house with buses and walking. Within the actual city, transit's very solid. I'm sorry I can't give you practical advice about the industry you're interested in, I've never worked in it, hopefully another poster will have something useful to say about it.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:05 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,460,804 times
Trades are moving in the direction of inter-provincial certification, called Red Seal. If you have a Red Seal license, you can work in any province in Canada, in that trade. While it is still possible to come to a province one day and hop on a roof the next day with no experience or license, it is getting harder to do. Instead of learning a trade through a college though, there is another path of becoming an apprentice, that is, earning while learning (note that roofers are carpenters in the following links):

Red Seal

Red Seal Home / Red Seal

Ellis Chart - apprenticeship training programs across Canada:

Ellis Chart Home / Ellis Chart

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplace...ip/index.shtml

Old 01-19-2012, 04:20 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,864,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You may want to look into what provincial (Quebec)certification requirements you may need to acquire to be eligible to work in the construction industry here in Quebec as the government can get quite anal about compliance..
Good lord! I clicked on the website of Quebec's "Centre administratif de la qualification professionnelle", it is in French only.
Provincial and Territorial Contacts / Red Seal

Alberta is the place to be right now for construction project leads.
Quote:
Commercial Projects (total value)
Pre-Tender Phase:$131,782,088,190
Tender Phase:$257,499,450
Post-Bid Phase:$8,556,664,204

Civil Projects (total value)
Pre-Tender Phase:$51,110,053,284
Tender Phase:$19,925,000
Post-Bid Phase:$12,971,445,170
Quebec's project leads

Quote:
Commercial Projects (total value)
Pre-Tender Phase: $30,659,866,786
Tender Phase: $242,081,539
Post-Bid Phase: $14,242,687,066

Civil Projects (total value)
Pre-Tender Phase: $21,670,270,933
Tender Phase: $245,725,000
Post-Bid Phase: $13,254,535,811

Old 01-19-2012, 04:31 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,460,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
Good lord! I clicked on the website of Quebec's "Centre administratif de la qualification professionnelle", it is in French only.
If you are using Google Chrome, RIGHT-click your mouse on that French page, and choose "Translate to English." Might work with IE, too.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I posted my thread very late last night.

Now to clear up a few things, I've been roofing already for 4 years (Im 22). That I am not worried about as I know my skills are quite and have been valued greatly in Winnipeg and Edmonton. I'm very proud of my working ability.

I'm just wondering whether I can say save $4000 here, fly out to Montreal, find a place to rent on Kijiji, have a job within a week to 2 weeks. Is that a type of city that this can be done in is more or less what I'm going for here. I did that when I came to Edmonton, and well Edmonton sucks. Montreal there is almost 4 million people, I'm sure a lot of people need new roofs reshingled, let alone new constructiong areas.

I have been researching Montreal a lot on public transit but also on cost of a vehicle, if say I can find a job at $20/hour budgetting myself I should be able to own a vehicle without much difficulty as I'd find a very fuel efficient car.

Thanks again all for the replies, any insight on things I should know before moving would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:32 AM

1,264 posts, read 3,864,071 times
Jambo101 gave some good advice above that one cannot ignore.

Quote:
The Interprovincial Standards Red Seal (also called the Red Seal Program) was created over 50 years to allow greater mobility of skilled workers across Canada. Today, it represents a standard of excellence for the industry. Through the program, tradespeople can get a mention "Red Seal" on their certificate of competence provincial or territorial when they pass the exam interprovincial Red Seal. The Interprovincial Standards Red Seal provides recognition of their skills and their certificate of competence across Canada that they should no more tests.
Red seal for Roofer
dewyn, click on this link to read the content: Tableau des métiers / Sceau Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewyn View Post
Now to clear up a few things, I've been roofing already for 4 years (Im 22). That I am not worried about as I know my skills are quite and have been valued greatly in Winnipeg and Edmonton. I'm very proud of my working ability.

I'm just wondering whether I can say save $4000 here, fly out to Montreal, find a place to rent on Kijiji, have a job within a week to 2 weeks. Is that a type of city that this can be done in is more or less what I'm going for here. I did that when I came to Edmonton, and well Edmonton sucks. Montreal there is almost 4 million people, I'm sure a lot of people need new roofs reshingled, let alone new constructiong areas.
It is risky to move to Montreal without a job in place.
Assuming that you get a job within a week or two, without the right certification someone may lodge a complaint to the union, no?

Anyways, I've some time before going out for super. So I dug out some info to satisfy my own curiosity.

Roofer | Shingler Salary Canada

Roofing companies in Montreal
Find Local Roofers in Montreal QC | YellowPages.ca™

Old 01-20-2012, 01:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
If you dont have a car or truck how do you plan on moving all your roofing necessities from place to place?

Old 01-20-2012, 07:56 AM

Now i wouldnt be running a business. Id work for someone. Id bring my toolbelt. Now ive been looking at roofing jobs in mtl and not one says about being a certified roofer. Prior to being on this board i have not once heard you need red seal for roofing... Nor do i know anyone that is certified or has heard of it themselves. Including my boss that i currently work for.

As far as ive been told by many veterans of the industry its never been brought up or an issue.

I believe my best bet would be contact roofing companies and inquire first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal