Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 PM

152 posts, read 567,211 times

Advertisements

I'm an american looking to relocate to canada for less than 6 months. I would like a studio. I'm from new york city. Mainly moving there so I could continue online poker. In the USA... its not allowed. I been told montreal is good because transportation is good though toronto is more nyc than montreal but the rent is very high like nyc.

I see some studios furnished on kijiji.com in montreal where its $600 and less. Could these be scams?? I found a few ads where the rent is that much and they mention FURNISHED and also ELECTRICITY, WATER, AND EVEN WIFI AND CABLE IS INCLUDED and one could rent these monthly... The price they mention is probably if you rent yearly but even if thats the case... monthly would probably be 700 total... but isn't that way too low for a furnished studio apartment with so many stuff included like electricity and internet???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 01:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Depending on what part of the city you are looking in that $6-700 range is in the ball park. After all its just one large room you are renting ..
Craigslist gives many pages of studio apt's with a wide range of prices..
montreal apts/housing for rent classifieds "studio" - craigslist

Old 11-16-2012, 02:13 PM

277 posts, read 786,057 times
I find that as long as you're on the island, it doesn't really matter where you live. Everything is super close and easily accessible by metro. I lived in the south west, and you can still find 4 1/2- 5 1/2's for around $600. So to answer your question, Montreal rent is very affordable.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:16 PM

152 posts, read 567,211 times
Hi. But is there really places that cost $550-$600 monthly FURNISHED WITH UTILITIES for a STUDIO??

What do you mean 4 1/2 - 5 1/2's for around $600. What does the 4.5 and 5.5 mean?

Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardblizzard03 View Post
Hi. But is there really places that cost $550-$600 monthly FURNISHED WITH UTILITIES for a STUDIO??

What do you mean 4 1/2 - 5 1/2's for around $600. What does the 4.5 and 5.5 mean?
It's Quebec nomenclature for apartments, the numbers indicating the number of rooms in an apartment. The half is the bathroom. So a 4 1/2 would typically be a bathroom, a kitchen room, a living room, and two bedrooms, and 5 1/2 would be that with three bedrooms. And yes, furnished with utilities that's an entirely reasonable price for a 1 1/2 (studio)

Old 12-04-2012, 10:25 PM

29 posts, read 50,560 times
Hi, for a studio, yes I think you can find for $600. Scam ads generally asks you money in advance. They even have the same template reply that they will show you the building from outside, you will pay them and they will get you the key after some time.. I have received such offers when I saw an extremely beautiful apartment at a premium location and its rent is almost half of average..

Here is my recommendation. You can find a temporary room. I used to stay at a temporary room with daily rate $16 (queen bed, furnished apartment, living with other foreigners). In the mean time you can look for a studio in your desired studio on foot. In Montreal, there is this mosaic of neighbourhoods.. sometimes within the same neighbourhood, one street is quite different than another one. The vibe is different, social class is different. one street looks sketchy and not worthy looking and the parallel street may seem like a great place to live.

Also depending on where you will be spending your time the most (work, school), I recommend you choose the area when you are here. You may not want to stuck behind the mont-royal mountain and have to travel to downtown everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal