Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 10:34 PM

15 posts, read 71,398 times

Advertisements

Im in montreal. I would like to get some dim sum, vietnamese food... pho mostly chinese buffet and all you can eat sushi.

Does anyone here have any recommendations on where are good places to go for each of these options.

I checked online and it seems like for each of them these have good reviews but like your opinion

Dim Sum- La Maison Kam Fung. This seems to have the most reviews. Anyone been here can give me their insight? Is the price considered normal here or average?

Vietnamese Food- I would mostly order pho with beef. I checked online certain places are much more expensive than others. Is it worth it?

Chinese Buffet- Buffet Kalohin (Ka Lo Hin). This is one of the chinese buffets i read about. Price is very good it seems even for dinner. For lunchtime the price seems very generous. Thoughts on this or any other buffet you can recommend? I read they actually have sushi as well. How is it there?

Other one is Restaurant Ruby Rouge. Thoughts on this? Is one better than the other?

Sushi- Can anyone give me names of sushi places where there is all you can eat? Also does anyone know if there are any where the sushi is just there and we get to pick which sushi we want to eat similar to how a buffet is like or are all these all you can eat sushi places you just order from the menu and then they make it and of course that takes 20 minutes or so. I seen some reviews where some places are $25 and that its one of the most expensive places. Does anyone know a place where its a bit less and if so how much?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 06:18 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,254,074 times
Kam Fung is good - you can get authentic Chinese cuisine there (as well as westernized if you want). Don't know of any all-you-can-eat sushi, sorry.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:49 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,163,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryspring1 View Post
Sushi- Can anyone give me names of sushi places where there is all you can eat? Also does anyone know if there are any where the sushi is just there and we get to pick which sushi we want to eat similar to how a buffet is like or are all these all you can eat sushi places you just order from the menu and then they make it and of course that takes 20 minutes or so. I seen some reviews where some places are $25 and that its one of the most expensive places. Does anyone know a place where its a bit less and if so how much?
I don't think I would ever want to go to a place where "the sushi is just there.... like a buffet". I have very few criteria when it comes to sushi, fresh fish is the main one by far.

I don't know of an all you can eat sushi place either, and I doubt such a place exists, given the wide variety of prices for sushi.

Depending on your appetite, where you go and what you order, you can expect to pay anywhere between $10-15 and $40-50 per person for a sushi meal. At $10-15 you can have a "chef's selection" mix such as one or two 4-piece makis and a 6-piece hosomaki. You can find them ready-made in many low-end places such as Sushi Shop. I think they taste like crap but they're convenient. You can often ask them to make the same selection just for you, the taste will be better but you'll need to wait 15 minutes.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:28 PM

35,308 posts, read 52,568,364 times
For Dim Sum we usually go to a restaurant in China Town called Tong Sing at the northwest Corner of De La Gauchetierre and St Dominic, its upstairs on the second floor, I find the food very good with much variety,.
Heres some reviews of the place.
Tong Sing Restaurant Reviews, Montreal, Canada - TripAdvisor

Reading the reviews it seems the place might have changed names to Mon-Nan

Old 11-18-2013, 09:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,382,953 times
They have all-you-can-eat sushi at Chinese buffets, but it's crappy sushi.
For sushi, I like 5 Saisons on Sherbrooke near Girouard. The "Te Quiero" is to die for, although the name is not quite Oriental.
It's spicy tuna, crispy tempura, shrimp and avocado wrapped in soya bean leaf, with a killer sauce.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:35 PM

34 posts, read 80,714 times
Umm hands down Kazu, but you have to get there before it opens because there is always a line. I like the Sashimi Bowl, Shrimp Burger, Ramen (only served at lunch time), and a bunch of other stuff thats also damn good. You wont regret it!

Old 11-18-2013, 10:48 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,874,070 times
Kazu have limited menu, and they serve Ramen only at lunch hours.
Restaurant Kazu Montreal

Old 11-24-2013, 02:48 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,194,606 times
Some locations of Kanda -- the Queen Mary one for sure -- has all-you-can-eat sushi. Is it the greatest? No. But you can eat as much as you want.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:20 AM

7 posts, read 7,358 times
My favorites Pho are specially around jean talon station. There's that one call PhoTra vinh it is really good and cheap too.
Here's the adress: 7087 Rue Saint-Denis, Montréal, QC H2S 2S4

The other one is Pho Nam DO which is still a good alternative if there's too much people in Tra vinh( i prefer tra vinh).

These two are really close to each other.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,498 times
Default New York PHO BANG

Hands down best place for pho in town, and i been going back for their spring rolls alone for the past 15 years. Ive heard many things bout this place not sure if any is true but apparently they we're the most fined restaurant around 96-97 but they still we're always jammed packed in that old hole in the wall they used to serve from.

They got a much cleaner location now but what i'm saying has no impact whatsoever on the quality of food. Apperently their waiters used to be university grads with degrees but were making so much money serving there (virtually always full) they just served. Anyways Pho and spring rolls (cold ones) are a MUST...

st-laurent near viger street, east side of the street.

Amigos is on st-laurent just under gauchetiere and serve some famous fried pork chops, (chinese restaurant with spanish name...Old cook from Van roys went there with his famous chops, Van roys is another another old school famous spot that closed down)

Just make sure to check out clark street, just west of st-laurent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal