Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 02:36 PM

11 posts, read 12,460 times

Advertisements

I'll be staying in Montreal for work from Middle of June until Early August. Fly in Monday and out Friday. I usually stay at IHG hotels. I know that theres a holiday inn by the airport, but I've heard that its an industrial area and not too many dining option. I see that there is a Candlewood Suites at "Centre-Ville" is that a good area of Montreal for restaurants and culture?

I've never been to Montreal before and I'm very excited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 02:52 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,074,704 times
Where will you be working? You'll want a hotel that's relatively close to work. If you're working downtown, there's no way that you'll want a hotel near the airport.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:03 PM

I'll be working in Saint-Laurent. According to google its a 20min drive or a 40 min train ride.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:01 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,074,704 times
Ah, okay, then a hotel in "centre ville" (downtown) isn't a great idea -- I wouldn't want that long of a commute.

Depending on where in Saint Laurent you'll be working (Bombardier?), then being near the airport isn't a bad idea. (I can't think of any hotels in Saint Laurent itself and, truthfully, the dining options there are slimmer than slim.) See how close the Holiday Inn near the airport is to Dollard des Ormeaux (town/city), specifically St. Jean Boulevard and Sources Boulevard, where they each intersect with Highway 40 (Trans Canadienne). Both streets are "restaurant rows" and you'll have plenty of choice there for food.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:50 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,179,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross11988 View Post
I'll be staying in Montreal for work from Middle of June until Early August. Fly in Monday and out Friday. I usually stay at IHG hotels. I know that theres a holiday inn by the airport, but I've heard that its an industrial area and not too many dining option. I see that there is a Candlewood Suites at "Centre-Ville" is that a good area of Montreal for restaurants and culture?

I've never been to Montreal before and I'm very excited.
Actually going to Montreal in a few days and will be staying there for about a week. I actually checked Airbnb and found that they have really good prices with amazing apartment options right in the center of the city. Not sure what your corporate travel policy is, but I think Airbnb may be a good option especially if you are staying for so long and want a more authentic local experience.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Actually going to Montreal in a few days and will be staying there for about a week. I actually checked Airbnb and found that they have really good prices with amazing apartment options right in the center of the city. Not sure what your corporate travel policy is, but I think Airbnb may be a good option especially if you are staying for so long and want a more authentic local experience.
Yeah our company typically rents out apartments for us only if the project is 3 months or more. Plus I like getting my IHG points lol

Old 05-09-2015, 07:09 AM

196 posts, read 217,250 times
Yes the Candlewood suites will have plenty of dinning options within walking distance, notably the Old Port and Chinatown. A quick metro/subway ride (like literally 1 or 2 stations) will give you access to core downtown and trendy St-Denis street restos. Nothing near the airport is remotely in the same ballpark. That Holiday Inn Express near the airport literally has nothing but concrete and infrastructure around it, and a 20-30 min wait for the bus during non-rush hours.

However, 20 min by car / 40 min by metro will not be sufficient to get you to Ville St-Laurent from downtown. I live in St-Laurent, grew up near the airport and commuted to downtown for school for 6 years. Part of your car commute is going to come under heavy traffic during rush hour. Driving can easily take double your estimate, though during those summer months, traffic should lessen slightly as part of the population is on vacation. I would play around with Google Maps (driving and public transit) and specify the exact time of departure to get better estimates. If you're ok with the commuting times, that Candlewood suites is a pretty nice location to sample the summer Montreal months.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
Yes the Candlewood suites will have plenty of dinning options within walking distance, notably the Old Port and Chinatown. A quick metro/subway ride (like literally 1 or 2 stations) will give you access to core downtown and trendy St-Denis street restos. Nothing near the airport is remotely in the same ballpark. That Holiday Inn Express near the airport literally has nothing but concrete and infrastructure around it, and a 20-30 min wait for the bus during non-rush hours.

However, 20 min by car / 40 min by metro will not be sufficient to get you to Ville St-Laurent from downtown. I live in St-Laurent, grew up near the airport and commuted to downtown for school for 6 years. Part of your car commute is going to come under heavy traffic during rush hour. Driving can easily take double your estimate, though during those summer months, traffic should lessen slightly as part of the population is on vacation. I would play around with Google Maps (driving and public transit) and specify the exact time of departure to get better estimates. If you're ok with the commuting times, that Candlewood suites is a pretty nice location to sample the summer Montreal months.
Thank you much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal