Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 12:45 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times

Advertisements

Interesting. So what is the point of the safe third party country agreement then. Pretty useless by the sounds of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2023, 01:14 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Lying in bed on my phone so cannot post links but every article I see says people crossing at Roxham are not being sent back to the US.

Two thirds are accepted by Canada ultimately and one third are rejected. Sent back to their home countries, not the US.
Do you mean two thirds are accepted to apply for refugee status, and one third turned away? Or are you saying two thirds of all Roxham Road crossers have their application for refugee status approved?

I'm trying to find stats. Can you link where you got them?

Old 02-04-2023, 01:18 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Interesting. So what is the point of the safe third party country agreement then. Pretty useless by the sounds of it.
It's weird to me as well.

Found this.

https://macdonaldlaurier.ca/the-roxh...usion-is-back/

Old 02-04-2023, 02:48 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,661,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Do you mean two thirds are accepted to apply for refugee status, and one third turned away? Or are you saying two thirds of all Roxham Road crossers have their application for refugee status approved?

I'm trying to find stats. Can you link where you got them?
I don't have a link, but from an internal memo I was privy to in 2017-18 (and not released to the public) when I was working for gov't stated 70% stayed in Canada (about 60% within Quebec) and others got deported back.

Most who stayed were families, women or women with children. Majority, if not all, deported were single men. Those who had families here or a spouse were permitted to stay and claim refugee status.

I'm pretty sure the numbers are still the same percentage wise, but back then it was 4-6K people crossing a year and not 50,000+.

Old 02-04-2023, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's weird to me as well.

Found this.

https://macdonaldlaurier.ca/the-roxh...usion-is-back/
Very interesting article. Thanks for it. Seems like keeping Roxham allows for a rather ambiguous loophole. Heck if I wanted to come to Canada via the U.S as a refugee claimaint i'd ditch coming via a legal border crossing and head to Roxham too based on the stats. I prefer the way Europe handles it with the Dublin Regulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post

I'm pretty sure the numbers are still the same percentage wise, but back then it was 4-6K people crossing a year and not 50,000+.
This is the thing - certain events could transpire whereby we have 100K or 200K or more. Interesting to see how they would handle Roxham at that point. Based on what i'm seeing though, I can see the CAQ's point. Quebec should not have to deal with this disproportionately.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-04-2023 at 04:30 PM..

Old 02-06-2023, 07:02 AM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
This article comes from the NY Post, so may not be completely reliable:

Migrants abandon NYC for Canada with taxpayer-funded bus tickets

Quote:
Disgruntled migrants fed up with the Big Apple’s crime and grime are taking off to the Great White North — on bus rides paid for by New York taxpayers, The Post has learned. National Guard soldiers have been helping distribute tickets at the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan to migrants who want to head upstate before crossing into Canada, several migrants said.

Old 02-06-2023, 07:46 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Very interesting article. Thanks for it. Seems like keeping Roxham allows for a rather ambiguous loophole. Heck if I wanted to come to Canada via the U.S as a refugee claimaint i'd ditch coming via a legal border crossing and head to Roxham too based on the stats. I prefer the way Europe handles it with the Dublin Regulation.

This is the thing - certain events could transpire whereby we have 100K or 200K or more. Interesting to see how they would handle Roxham at that point. Based on what i'm seeing though, I can see the CAQ's point. Quebec should not have to deal with this disproportionately.
And then there was this tweet a couple of years ago. Our Prime Minister seemingly wanting to one-up Donald Trump, and look like the "good guy"...

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/st...-travel-ban%2F

Old 02-06-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And then there was this tweet a couple of years ago. Our Prime Minister seemingly wanting to one-up Donald Trump, and look like the "good guy"...

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/st...-travel-ban%2F
Yup I remember that! Problem is you can and often do reap what you sow and this type of stuff could lead us inundated. At the very least we need to sharpen the claws of this safe third party agreement but let's see what happens. By the 'signaling' going on from the Federal Government, looks unlikely. As CXT said, it's one thing if its 5K a year - quite another when its in the 10's or 100's of thousands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
This article comes from the NY Post, so may not be completely reliable:

Migrants abandon NYC for Canada with taxpayer-funded bus tickets

Well - why not cheaper to fund a bus ticket and send them to Canada than manage them regardless of any 'agreements' - I noticed same in the Toronto Sun and Daily Mail out of the UK so yeah - probably needs to be validated by more sources but seems to make sense given what we are seeing.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-06-2023 at 11:15 AM..

Old 02-06-2023, 11:28 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
I don't think it's sustainable as some are suggesting to open the floodgates to anyone who wants to come here for whatever reason. Some of the people are legitimately in danger of persecution but it's been demonstrated time and time again everywhere in the world that a significant percentage are economic migrants, which are not covered by international conventions and obligations.

It's also unfair to let all of these people in who have jumped the queue via Roxham whereas other people attempt to enter Canada legitimately and legally either as asylum seekers or simply as fully qualified immigrants that go through the real process with considerable effort and money.

Overall, the international "system" is also unsustainable and instead of displacing millions of people from troubled countries to non-troubled countries, should focus on making troubled countries less troubled and better places to live.

In addition to being more sustainable in the long term, it would also be fairer to the people left behind these countries who for a variety of reasons can't move and have little hope.

Old 02-06-2023, 11:51 AM

^^^

Good points all around!! I agree 100 percent with this. Actually it is absolutely ridiculous if you think of it even entertaining the idea of 'unofficial' and illegal crossings one and all including Roxham Road.

btw my rep to you just brought you over 11000 :P congrats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal