Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,894 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, I'm about to receive a BA in International Relations and desire to gain full fluency in French (I read/write it well, but never get the chance to speak it down here in Texas) by working in a French speaking country for 6 months or so, as I decide whether to go to graduate school or not.
I haven't been able to find many resources regarding jobs for foreigners in Quebec, and I'm mainly interested in learning about the best places to look, opportunity/job sector wise. I work for a non-profit, have good references, and teach ESL classes to refugees here in Texas, but I'm unsure if TEFL certification would be beneficial. That's just something I was going to do at some point anyway, but I'm interested to know what kinds of opportunities there are, as scarce as they may be, to get a job that pays decently enough to live and work in Quebec for a while. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 02:12 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,153,281 times
There is lots of demand for ESL teachers in Quebec. In fact, there is a shortage of teachers with good English skills who can teach English to kids in the province's French-language school system (which is 90% of the schools in Quebec). I am not sure of the details of how one could get authorization to teach in Quebec, but I will look into what I can find and post again.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:15 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,153,281 times
Didn't take too long. Here is some info:

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q...on-teacher.pdf

Of course, you have to apply to immigrate as well:

Immigration-Québec - Immigrate and settle in Québec

Though if a school board really wanted you they might be able to bring you in temporarily.

The boards are listed here:
Liste des commissions scolaires par région - Fédération des commissions scolaires du Québec (http://www.fcsq.qc.ca/repertoirecs/internet/liste.asp - broken link)

Most would normally post jobs on their Web sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal