Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 12:37 PM

10 posts, read 165,509 times

Advertisements

got an offer from a company in Morgantown WV. Does anyone give me any idea of the community safety, living cost, 2000 sqt house price and property tax, etc?
I checked the map of this town, it is very close to Penn. If the property tax is high in Morgantown, how about living in Penn side and working here?
Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 83,100 times
You have to remember that Morgantown is a college town, so yes, there are some robberies and such but I have never felt unsafe in Morgantown. Pricing for a 2000 sq ft house will probably range from 175,000 to 450,000 $, depending on what part of town you live in. Cheat Lake would be the most expensive area in Morgantown.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:32 PM

Thank you for your reply.
Any idea if live in PA side and commute to Morgantown?
Thanks a lot.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:25 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahB2 View Post
You have to remember that Morgantown is a college town, so yes, there are some robberies and such but I have never felt unsafe in Morgantown. Pricing for a 2000 sq ft house will probably range from 175,000 to 450,000 $, depending on what part of town you live in. Cheat Lake would be the most expensive area in Morgantown.

That is a ridiculous price! Perhaps you can live nearby and get a nice house for $100k and commute a little?

Old 10-30-2006, 06:16 AM

2 posts, read 14,425 times
Default Morgantown vs. PA town

Hello, I agree that cheat lake is the most expensive area of town. Downtown in South Park is a very nice historic area and prices are reasonable. PA is very close. Some of the cities that are commutable from Motown are not too desireable. Point Marion is very close but very depressed. Uniontown, PA has just had a big resurgence. Joe Hardy (84 Lumber owner) put millions of his own money into remaking the downtown. It is a 30 commute. I've heard that taxes in general in PA. are higher. In general Morgantown is a very nice place to live. Some people adjust to smaller city life and some never do. I would recommend Morgantown over any of the Penn. towns. Paul

Old 10-30-2006, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul valachovic View Post
Hello, I agree that cheat lake is the most expensive area of town. Downtown in South Park is a very nice historic area and prices are reasonable. PA is very close. Some of the cities that are commutable from Motown are not too desireable. Point Marion is very close but very depressed. Uniontown, PA has just had a big resurgence. Joe Hardy (84 Lumber owner) put millions of his own money into remaking the downtown. It is a 30 commute. I've heard that taxes in general in PA. are higher. In general Morgantown is a very nice place to live. Some people adjust to smaller city life and some never do. I would recommend Morgantown over any of the Penn. towns. Paul
Thank you for your helpful comments!

Old 11-11-2006, 11:55 AM

458 posts, read 2,290,515 times
Default What kind of college town is Morgantown?

Is it a typical college town? Great book shops, coffee shops, interesting cultural activities, fun stuff to do for families? Is it progressive or conservative? Is it multicultural or homogeneous? How does it take to newcomers?

Old 11-11-2006, 08:44 PM

74 posts, read 470,306 times
Ive done some looking on their site (Im moving nearby to fairmont) and it looks to be a pretty cool town. Its nice to know that I can move to the beauty of WV and have a place right around the way that I can snag a decent cup of coffee at. Im really looking forward to being able to stroll the town.
I have a feeling this town is where Ill be spending most of my time.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:03 PM

16 posts, read 102,613 times
Morgantown......low crime, good schools, pricey housing....not much for under 200,000. Cheat Lake is best area, really need to be choosy about your area, this is a big deal in this area. Resell very good on homes. Growing everywhere. Traffic is unreal for a small town. Plenty of options for all facets of entertainment and culture. Remember Pittsburgh PA is only about an hour away. This too is a bonus. PA options are not good, and taxes are higher anyway. Fairmont is next town south of Morgantown, housing is more affordable and only 30 min away, Fairmont is not a growing town, many old folks don't want change. Schools not as good either. Stick to Mo-town....best choice and really so much in terms of housing you will find something.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerkd View Post
Morgantown......low crime, good schools, pricey housing....not much for under 200,000. Cheat Lake is best area, really need to be choosy about your area, this is a big deal in this area. Resell very good on homes. Growing everywhere. Traffic is unreal for a small town. Plenty of options for all facets of entertainment and culture. Remember Pittsburgh PA is only about an hour away. This too is a bonus. PA options are not good, and taxes are higher anyway. Fairmont is next town south of Morgantown, housing is more affordable and only 30 min away, Fairmont is not a growing town, many old folks don't want change. Schools not as good either. Stick to Mo-town....best choice and really so much in terms of housing you will find something.
Really helpful! Much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown