Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:01 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Young people today have different attitudes than did earlier generations. They have not grown up with responsibility as a guideline. For the most part, they have not earned even basic expense money with part time jobs because most of those have gone to illegal aliens in the larger population areas. The result is they have had everything handed to them by their ever more impoverished middle class parents.

They simply don't know the meaning of sacrifice any longer, and expect the good life to continue indefinitely. Increasingly, they are less willing to live in the dumps of old and are demanding conditions as good as or better than they had in earlier years. It's a basic fact of life now, and due to elitist greed, and policies geared to benefit them, the rest of us are basically powerless to change it. All we can do is adapt and try to compensate as best we can. The super rich have figured out yet another way to benefit as they are building the new complexes to capitalize on the situation.

In Morgantown, that has been exclusively a private matter but there are some institutions that have so extended themselves financially in other areas that they are actually bringing the money guys into their dormatory system as "partners" in the money making methodology. Rather than ivy covered halls, they are allowing developers to construct modern (and less substantially built) dorms and leasing them back to the schools at inflated rates while shoving their new students into them at higher rents.

As with anything, there is usually a flip side and the developments are not entirely a bad thing. The accomodations are better than previously offered, and they are leading to the demise of some blighted areas in favor of more upscale buildings. The fact that students end up owing a house payment when they graduate these days doesn't phase folks who are used to having their government (at all levels) slap massive debt loads on their grandchildren to advance short sighted special interest projects that benefit mostly the very rich.

The key to making the most of the situation in Morgantown will be efforts to get the state to live up to its infrastructure responsibilities here. With an adequate local highway structure and improvements in mass transit, we can find some benefit to these developments. Make no mistake though... we very much need to start to elect populist oriented politicians to office or things will get a lot worse before they get better economically. That goes for both liberals and conservatives. We need to find a way to stop electing pompous, butt headed, inbred elitists to govern us.

I wouldnt call those new apartment complexes upscale. They are built as cheap as can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 12:36 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Most new construction is built cheap. Rather than real plywood these days, they use sawdust and glue and cover all the flaws with plastic siding. That's just the way it is. If the developments were built by The University itself, they would likely be more substantial. By "upscale" I mean the amenities... swimming pools, exercise rooms, party rooms, block parties for resdents, busses to take students to class, message services, roomate finding assistance, etc. In my day, we were left entirely to our own devices in all of these matters.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Most new construction is built cheap. Rather than real plywood these days, they use sawdust and glue and cover all the flaws with plastic siding. That's just the way it is. If the developments were built by The University itself, they would likely be more substantial. By "upscale" I mean the amenities... swimming pools, exercise rooms, party rooms, block parties for resdents, busses to take students to class, message services, roomate finding assistance, etc. In my day, we were left entirely to our own devices in all of these matters.
In my day we lived in terrible apartments and had a blast, which wasnt that long ago. Most college students are not clean so I dont see why they need these nice places to make a mess off.

When I went to WVU it was a real party school, and there was a sense of community.

I also worked in student accounts before. It would amaze you how many students are completely reliant on their parents to take care of everything including paying $20 bills that come up. A lot of students dont have a clue how to take care of themselves.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:14 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Truth is, we live in a society that has slowly evolved from promoting self reliance to a social engineering mess where they are attempting to make everyone a clone of what elitists consider the "perfect human" with an ever increasing array of rules, regulations, and restrictions, all for your own good, of course.

We are now told it is mandatory to wear helmuts on bicycles, seatbelts in vehicles, and when and where to smoke. Unlike the rest of the world, which has a 16 year old drinking age and seldom even enforces it, we have Gestapo running all over the place checking ID cards and putting people in jail. It is truly sad to see what they are doing to our great country.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:00 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,870 times
Quote:
Young people today have different attitudes than did earlier generations. They have not grown up with responsibility as a guideline. For the most part, they have not earned even basic expense money with part time jobs because most of those have gone to illegal aliens in the larger population areas. The result is they have had everything handed to them by their ever more impoverished middle class parents.

They simply don't know the meaning of sacrifice any longer, and expect the good life to continue indefinitely. Increasingly, they are less willing to live in the dumps of old and are demanding conditions as good as or better than they had in earlier years. It's a basic fact of life now, and due to elitist greed, and policies geared to benefit them, the rest of us are basically powerless to change it. All we can do is adapt and try to compensate as best we can. The super rich have figured out yet another way to benefit as they are building the new complexes to capitalize on the situation.

In Morgantown, that has been exclusively a private matter but there are some institutions that have so extended themselves financially in other areas that they are actually bringing the money guys into their dormatory system as "partners" in the money making methodology. Rather than ivy covered halls, they are allowing developers to construct modern (and less substantially built) dorms and leasing them back to the schools at inflated rates while shoving their new students into them at higher rents.

As with anything, there is usually a flip side and the developments are not entirely a bad thing. The accomodations are better than previously offered, and they are leading to the demise of some blighted areas in favor of more upscale buildings. The fact that students end up owing a house payment when they graduate these days doesn't phase folks who are used to having their government (at all levels) slap massive debt loads on their grandchildren to advance short sighted special interest projects that benefit mostly the very rich.

The key to making the most of the situation in Morgantown will be efforts to get the state to live up to its infrastructure responsibilities here. With an adequate local highway structure and improvements in mass transit, we can find some benefit to these developments. Make no mistake though... we very much need to start to elect populist oriented politicians to office or things will get a lot worse before they get better economically. That goes for both liberals and conservatives. We need to find a way to stop electing pompous, butt headed, inbred elitists to govern us.
Another stellar narrowminded rant from CT I see. Picking on the irresponsible youngins and the illegals today is it?

I wasn't aware that back in your day you couldn't get a job to support yourself with just a high school diploma. I also wasn't aware that college was just as expensive as it is today, and that upon graduating it was just as hard to find a job as in your time. I didn't know that it housing values were so expensive in the past either, to the point where you could barely afford to rent and actually buying a home was out of the question. I'll be sure to let my friends serving in Iraq and Afghanistan know that some pampered old white guy in Morgantown who grew up in a time where a person could support themselves with a highschool degree and a paycheck thinks that they need to accept more responsibility.

The illegals have taken over all of the minimum wage jobs huh? Interesting. So many illegals paying into your social security without collecting a tax refund and you're complaining? Honestly, what major population centers have you experienced this in? How do you know that they were illegals since CLEARLY (in your mind) its very easy to become a citizen of this country and no one should need to attempt to come here illegally to work.

I have to ask before I go, what did any of the crap that you posted have to do with the topic of this thread that you've started? Honestly?

Old 11-30-2011, 04:06 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
In my day we lived in terrible apartments and had a blast, which wasnt that long ago. Most college students are not clean so I dont see why they need these nice places to make a mess off.

When I went to WVU it was a real party school, and there was a sense of community.

I also worked in student accounts before. It would amaze you how many students are completely reliant on their parents to take care of everything including paying $20 bills that come up. A lot of students dont have a clue how to take care of themselves.
I imagine its quite hard to come up with that extra $20 when you're being gouged for text books, the inflated price of rent in a college town, and god knows what else. Working 20 hours a week at minimum wage is enough to barely come up with rent money, let alone the cash for arbitrary expenses that the school has deemed fit to lay on you. I suppose you could live in the dorms or have living expenses added onto my financial aide and accept tens of thousands of dollars added onto your student loan debt, but personally I think it was a better call on my part to ask the old man to hit me up with $20.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
I imagine its quite hard to come up with that extra $20 when you're being gouged for text books, the inflated price of rent in a college town, and god knows what else. Working 20 hours a week at minimum wage is enough to barely come up with rent money, let alone the cash for arbitrary expenses that the school has deemed fit to lay on you. I suppose you could live in the dorms or have living expenses added onto my financial aide and accept tens of thousands of dollars added onto your student loan debt, but personally I think it was a better call on my part to ask the old man to hit me up with $20.
No problem asking your folks for help. I was in state with the promise so the bill was never too much for me. Much cheaper than other state schools.

You can always save money by living in one of the older houses instead of the newer apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown