Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 10:43 AM

5 posts, read 7,442 times

Advertisements

Im planning to go on exchange and spend a semester studying in the US and I am tossing up between WVU and Georgetown.
Is WVU a good allround college experience? Are people friendly/accepting of international students?
Is campus life fun/social?
Experiences living in Morgantown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 11:35 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy101 View Post
Im planning to go on exchange and spend a semester studying in the US and I am tossing up between WVU and Georgetown.
Is WVU a good allround college experience? Are people friendly/accepting of international students?
Is campus life fun/social?
Experiences living in Morgantown?
Where are you from?

Old 07-20-2012, 11:43 AM

Australia

Old 07-20-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Australia
People are friendly

Morgantown is smaller and cheaper than DC. WVU is also easier than Georgetown but a great school. WVU is a big party school. Do you prefer a city environment or something smaller? Is money a big issue?

Old 07-20-2012, 12:37 PM

Money isn't too much of an issue as I am getting a travel scholarship.
Just looking for a good college experience as well as travel and meet new people.
Im still living at home so want to do the whole living on-campus thing.
I'm not really fussed about city or smaller as long as there is things to do. I am a little worried about the safety of gtown being in DC

Old 07-20-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Money isn't too much of an issue as I am getting a travel scholarship.
Just looking for a good college experience as well as travel and meet new people.
Im still living at home so want to do the whole living on-campus thing.
I'm not really fussed about city or smaller as long as there is things to do. I am a little worried about the safety of gtown being in DC
Grown is a very safe area. Morgantown too. I can't give a recommendation unless I know what you want. Both schools can give a good college experience.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:51 PM

Do you know which has a better school of nursing?
Also better location to be able to travel on breaks etc.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Do you know which has a better school of nursing?
Also better location to be able to travel on breaks etc.
Where do you want to travel. DC closer to northeastern cities, public transit, and airports. Morgantoen is closer to good parks, skiing, rafting, etc.

Can't comment on nursing, although wv has a good program.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:56 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
People are friendly

Morgantown is smaller and cheaper than DC. WVU is also easier than Georgetown but a great school. WVU is a big party school. Do you prefer a city environment or something smaller? Is money a big issue?
Okay, let me chip in here. Morgantown is less expensive as a place to live than DC, no doubt about that. There is no way of knowing which school is "easier" since expensive schools are often more of an excuse for rich people to hang out together rather than any real measure of quality. Some of the programs at WVU are top notch in their fields. The same is true of Georgetown. It is possible to have a good time as a college student in Morgantown, but it is no more of a "party school" than many other prestigeous schools, contrary to some myths.

Morgantown is a much smaller town than DC which is an advantage, or a disadvantage depending on your personal preferences. We had a young lady from Austrailia here who just graduated last year. She played on our womens basketball team, and she said she loved it so much here she didn't want to go back home. Natalie Burton was very popular both on the team and on campus. One advantage of Morgantown over DC is the ready proximity to outstanding outdoor venues and activities.

Natalie Burton athletic career, photos, articles, and videos | Fanbase

Daisy, Morgantown is more of a typical college town while Georgetown is a religious oriented school (Jesuit Catholic) located in our nation's very large capital city. The atmospheres at the two schools are very different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown