Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:53 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

This is from the Huntington board, but I think it's a good idea here too. Anybody interested in bringing a Trader Joes to Morgantown fill out the survey and indicate it here.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cfB...viewform?pli=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 11:16 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
CT, while Morgantown meets the criteria much better than Huntington at this moment it still falls short of what they want to build a TJ.

With Morgantown's growth a TJ might be feasible in 10 years, but right now it is not realistic.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:21 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
I would think their criteria would include much more than simply the size of the town. The type of people who live there would be more important. With the thousands of scientists, professionals, and University staff here that thing would take off immediately.

My wife used to shop at one in Danbury, CT for years, and the store was not that large. Danbury does have 80,000 permanent residents, but not the percentage of Trader Joes type people we have here. If they can support one, so can we.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:29 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
I'm not a big fan of Trader Joes. It just seems like over-priced and low-quality products that they repackage through their distributors. I much prefer Whole Foods and really miss Whole Foods every time I moved to an area that didn't have one.

Does anyone know if there is a Whole Foods in West Virginia? Contrary to what many people think, Whole Foods is actually quite a bit cheaper than other health food stores and has higher quality products than Trader Joes for similar or cheaper prices. Whole Foods also keeps other local health foods more competitive so they cannot gouge you for being the only store in town.

If WV doesn't have a Whole Foods, I would petition much harder for one of those than a Trader Joes. Where I live , there is Trader Joes everywhere and I haven't walked into one of their stores in over 5 years.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I would think their criteria would include much more than simply the size of the town. The type of people who live there would be more important. With the thousands of scientists, professionals, and University staff here that thing would take off immediately.

My wife used to shop at one in Danbury, CT for years, and the store was not that large. Danbury does have 80,000 permanent residents, but not the percentage of Trader Joes type people we have here. If they can support one, so can we.
Morgantown is the only city in WV that would meet their education requirements, along with the attitude of people they like. However, Morgantown doesnt have enough rich people. While it is very rich for WV compared to what TJ looks for it is solidly middle class. Huntington likewise is too lower middle class or lower class.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I'm not a big fan of Trader Joes. It just seems like over-priced and low-quality products that they repackage through their distributors. I much prefer Whole Foods and really miss Whole Foods every time I moved to an area that didn't have one.

Does anyone know if there is a Whole Foods in West Virginia? Contrary to what many people think, Whole Foods is actually quite a bit cheaper than other health food stores and has higher quality products than Trader Joes for similar or cheaper prices. Whole Foods also keeps other local health foods more competitive so they cannot gouge you for being the only store in town.

If WV doesn't have a Whole Foods, I would petition much harder for one of those than a Trader Joes. Where I live , there is Trader Joes everywhere and I haven't walked into one of their stores in over 5 years.
Pittsburgh does but not in WV.

I live near both in Maryland. TJ is of equal quality to whole foods and MUCH cheaper, but the selection is MUCH smaller.

A petition does not attract these stores. They strategically expand based on certain factors. Nowhere in WV meets the criteria they need to build a store. Morgantown would be the closest but it still doesnt meet them.

With Morgantown's growth these stores might be possible in the future, 10+ years, perhaps in the EP too. It is highly unlikely they would open anywhere else in WV.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:30 PM

32 posts, read 59,648 times
If you like Trader Joes just go to Aldi. They are owned by the same parent company and a lot of the items are the same just with different packaging (and a lot cheaper). The only reason I go to Trader Joes is for their unsalted crunchy peanut butter (for baking) and it used to be super cheap (under $2). It is now $2.79 a jar but is still the cheapest unsalted peanut butter I can find.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,532 times
I was unaware that TJ's owned Aldi stores. Aldi is located in a few places in WV. Dunbar has had one for at least a decade. I know thy are bigger in Ohio because I work on their Internet service to the stores.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
I was unaware that TJ's owned Aldi stores. Aldi is located in a few places in WV. Dunbar has had one for at least a decade. I know thy are bigger in Ohio because I work on their Internet service to the stores.
Yes, they are German.

They treat their employees very good. The opposite of the American walmart mentality of race to the bottom, keep people desperate and pay them so little they need to be on welfare. Workers at Trader Joe make good money, get benefits, 401k, etc.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:32 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,532 times
Sounds like a successful business model if they are in such high demand even with all of those benefit payouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown