Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 04:56 PM

671 posts, read 1,057,716 times

Advertisements

Madeleine's on High St has papered over their windows and are no longer answering their phones. Anybody heard anything definitive regarding whether or not they've shut down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 05:13 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,422,137 times
WHAT!?!?

Seriously, the independent restaurant scene is getting hit hard in town. Richwood Grill and the Golden Finch both close (owner's decision) and the owner of Maxwell's is apparently in litigation with the landlord and hasn't been open in a couple of months. Now Madeline's!?

Edit - I looked on their Facebook page and there's nothing regarding closing or renovations. Also, the last post was just a few days ago so I don't think they simply closed all of a sudden. I'll see what I can find.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:04 PM

20 posts, read 18,527 times
My girlfriend went there for Brunch last Sunday. They were told that it was closing permanently. There is seemingly an opportunity for some new places with all of these closings. Hopefully some folks will take that risk.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:52 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
I liked their food, but my impression was that their portions were just too small. There is a lot of competition for the food dollar, and if a business falls short they will not endure. The Richwood Grill guy said he'd be back in a year or so to open a new restaurant when he left.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:18 PM

250 posts, read 331,989 times
Man...another staple bites the dust. I'll be going to Cafe Bacchus as much as possible then. If they close, I won't have any reason to go down High Street...well except to get my Panera Pastry, Starbucks Coffee (Daniel's) and get my gas at Sheetz. Gotta support my locals you know.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph3000 View Post
Man...another staple bites the dust. I'll be going to Cafe Bacchus as much as possible then. If they close, I won't have any reason to go down High Street...well except to get my Panera Pastry, Starbucks Coffee (Daniel's) and get my gas at Sheetz. Gotta support my locals you know.
There will be no Sheetz on High Street. Bacchus is better than Madeline's ever thought to be, but somebody else will take their place soon enough. I believe Sargasso is better than Madeline's too, but that's on Don Knotts down the road from where Sheetz will be located.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:27 PM

250 posts, read 331,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
There will be no Sheetz on High Street. Bacchus is better than Madeline's ever thought to be, but somebody else will take their place soon enough. I believe Sargasso is better than Madeline's too, but that's on Don Knotts down the road from where Sheetz will be located.
Umm...Ok. A Sheetz on the corner of Foundry and Chestnut Street. HUGE different there. Sargasso's chefs are good but the wait staff has been quite questionable the last few times I've been there (as compared to Bacchus/Stefano's/Antonio's). We can only hope that something will take the place of Madeline's. I remember that restaurant starting in that little hole in the wall on Pleasant Street. Terrible, Terrible news.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph3000 View Post
Umm...Ok. A Sheetz on the corner of Foundry and Chestnut Street. HUGE different there. Sargasso's chefs are good but the wait staff has been quite questionable the last few times I've been there (as compared to Bacchus/Stefano's/Antonio's). We can only hope that something will take the place of Madeline's. I remember that restaurant starting in that little hole in the wall on Pleasant Street. Terrible, Terrible news.
Murph, the Sheetz will be on the corner of University Ave. and Foundry. The nearest neighbor will be the Salvation Army Thrift Store. It has nothing to do with High Street.

I'm sorry to see Madeline's close too. Whenever a business closes, that mean's somebody's dreams were dashed, but that is the nature of free enterprise. Businesses exist to meet the demands of the public. If there isn't sufficient demand, then the public wants something else. My own opinion is they would have made it if they had just increased the size of their portions. The food was just fine, but people do not like skimpy.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Murph, the Sheetz will be on the corner of University Ave. and Foundry. The nearest neighbor will be the Salvation Army Thrift Store. It has nothing to do with High Street.

I'm sorry to see Madeline's close too. Whenever a business closes, that mean's somebody's dreams were dashed, but that is the nature of free enterprise. Businesses exist to meet the demands of the public. If there isn't sufficient demand, then the public wants something else. My own opinion is they would have made it if they had just increased the size of their portions. The food was just fine, but people do not like skimpy.
Okay ... here's what is going on there now. The owners of Mountain State Brewery are taking over the former location of Madeline's, renovating it, and turning it into a high end gastro club with a whole new
motif. Those guys are going a great job with their Wharf location. I have a hunch this will work out just fine too.

Renovations Underway For New Morgantown Establishment - WBOY.com: Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather

Old 03-19-2014, 05:55 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,646 times
The brewery will be a good replacement in my opinion. Don't know nothing about "Madelines", but I know that a brewery is likely to be successful, esp. in Motown. I love hitting the micro/regional brewery places - - nothing like good brew!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown