Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:08 AM

632 posts, read 832,882 times

Advertisements

I know that's a dirty word in Morgantown but why hasn't this happened? Morgantown seems to be missing a lot of potential tax revenue due to a good portion of the actual city limits being occupied by WVU which is not taxable and students who don't work. Potential areas I would think to expand the city limits to would include Suncrest Town Center, Pineview Drive/Mon General area, Star City, Granville, Pierpont, and the Mileground. What's the reasoning behind not expanding the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 11:27 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,716 times
It's not feasible. For example, I'm not sure I'd be willing for Westover to give up certain aspects of its autonomy and it's lower tax-rate, just to be a part of Morgantown where my tax base would contribute to paving streets on the other end of the county. People like to know that if they are paying more for taxes, it will be redistributed back into their own neighborhood. In the future, it's only likely that annexation occurs in situations such as what we witnessed in 2014: a neighborhood on the periphery of Suncrest was having drainage issues that they couldn't afford to replace, so they basically had to ask MUB for assistance. The only means of exchange was becoming part of the city.

Business districts will never want annexed, as it would be pointless, from their perspective, to give an extra 1-2% in b&o taxes to their new municipal authorities. In short, annexation won't happen because, those who won't currently pay tax don't see how they are draining the resources without paying into the system.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
It's not feasible. For example, I'm not sure I'd be willing for Westover to give up certain aspects of its autonomy and it's lower tax-rate, just to be a part of Morgantown where my tax base would contribute to paving streets on the other end of the county. People like to know that if they are paying more for taxes, it will be redistributed back into their own neighborhood. In the future, it's only likely that annexation occurs in situations such as what we witnessed in 2014: a neighborhood on the periphery of Suncrest was having drainage issues that they couldn't afford to replace, so they basically had to ask MUB for assistance. The only means of exchange was becoming part of the city.

Business districts will never want annexed, as it would be pointless, from their perspective, to give an extra 1-2% in b&o taxes to their new municipal authorities. In short, annexation won't happen because, those who won't currently pay tax don't see how they are draining the resources without paying into the system.

Great answer, thanks. One more question....I live technically outside of Morgantown (in the Pineview Dr. area). Who maintains my area of town?

Last edited by 304eer; 03-13-2015 at 11:42 AM..

Old 03-13-2015, 12:27 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,422,137 times
I lived off Pineview on Northwest. For us, no one maintained it! I think some of the property owners around us came together to pay for a plow in the winter, but other than that there wasn't much. In terms of emergency services, it would be county.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:54 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
I happen to live within the city limits in a residential neighborhood. There really are few benefits for such areas to be with the limits due to increased taxes and more regulation. It doesn't bother me personally, but I can understand who some would get their panties up in a wad over it. Probably 80% of what is really Morgantown is outside the city limits.

That really isn't unique to our city. Most cities aren't officially expanding except in unusual circumstances.
The county must provide services for unincorporated areas in West Virginia, and they get most of the benefits of being incorporated without the negatives of added taxes and more control. Water... garbage... sewage, Mon County residents can get all of that without paying city taxes, and the Sheriff provides a service similar to the city police while the Volunteer Fire companies are usually adequate to the needs.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:10 AM

870 posts, read 1,570,060 times
Westover annexed the Morgantown Mall and parts of the surrounding area not too long ago and I remember it took a long time for that to happen. There are a lot of holes of unincorporated areas in the Morgantown area. I don't see already incorporated areas joining with the city of Morgantown. It would be a challenge to get areas such as Pierpont to join the city because of tax purposes. But imagine the revenue for the city if that happened.

Eastpointe down in Clarksburg were already annexed into the city before the development was built. Bridgeport was growing rapidly with retail development at the time with the Meadowbrook Mall being built and Bridgeport would have gladly gobbled up that land if Clarksburg didn't annex it first.

In Pennsylvania it is virtually impossible for cities to annex. Thus all of the major retail development in Washington County is right outside the city of Washington. Greensburg in Westmoreland County is the same way.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:13 AM

273 posts, read 382,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
Westover annexed the Morgantown Mall and parts of the surrounding area not too long ago and I remember it took a long time for that to happen. There are a lot of holes of unincorporated areas in the Morgantown area. I don't see already incorporated areas joining with the city of Morgantown. It would be a challenge to get areas such as Pierpont to join the city because of tax purposes. But imagine the revenue for the city if that happened.

Eastpointe down in Clarksburg were already annexed into the city before the development was built. Bridgeport was growing rapidly with retail development at the time with the Meadowbrook Mall being built and Bridgeport would have gladly gobbled up that land if Clarksburg didn't annex it first.

In Pennsylvania it is virtually impossible for cities to annex. Thus all of the major retail development in Washington County is right outside the city of Washington. Greensburg in Westmoreland County is the same way.
The reason it's so difficult that n Pennsylvania is that every square inch of the state is already incorporated. Outside of cities and boroughs (cities and towns in WV) there are townships. In west virginia, those areas are unincorporated. Of course, that means you pay 3 different property taxes, 3 different income taxes, and so on.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:56 AM

491 posts, read 610,633 times
The roads around those areas are a disaster. If the City can't afford to maintain what they have already, how can they keep up with more?

Old 03-16-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
The roads around those areas are a disaster. If the City can't afford to maintain what they have already, how can they keep up with more?

That was why I made the thread.....those areas have a lot of commercial and residential development and therefore a bigger tax base that the city can access to maintain roads. Like I said in the OP, a good portion of "actual" Morgantown consists of WVU which cannot be taxed and student housing

Old 03-19-2015, 09:18 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
You can't really compare the Westover annexation of the Morgantown Mall area with the areas around Morgantown. A political change took place on the County Commission that enabled Westover to pull that off against the wishes of the people in the area affected, but the Mall area does not have nearly the resources to fight such a move as do the Biafora dominated areas surrounding Morgantown. My hunch is that, if faced with an annexation attempt, Biafora would go beyond roadblock phase and entertain an aggressive resistance with lots of money behind it. The city doesn't have the money to fight with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown