Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:31 AM

469 posts, read 576,520 times

Advertisements

I recently moved here from out of state and I was told that within 10 days of registering I had to get my vehicle inspected. I went on Saturday and my the technician told me my car was in great shape, but there was a missing stud on one of the wheels. He said although this probably wouldn't be a life or death issue by any means, he unfortunately couldn't pass my car because of it. The problem I'm having is that my vehicle isn't very common and I couldn't find a replacement stud/lug nut at any of the local parts stores. That leaves me with the option of either ordering it online, or driving to the nearest dealership which is outside of Pittsburgh or Charleston. I'd prefer to do the former because the dealer is more expensive and I'd like to avoid the trip/gas cost. I'm only worried because the estimated delivery date would be a day or two after the 10 day period given.

What would happen if I was a little late? Is there a fee? I've tried calling the DMV but the line is always busy. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 09:57 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
What brand is your car?

There is a fine imposed if you are caught driving without an inspection, but I would venture you would likely not get caught in the couple of days it would take to get the part online. Personally, I would do that instead of driving to Pittsburgh (MUCH closer than Charleston) to get it.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:22 AM

273 posts, read 382,070 times
Odds are that even if you are stopped for the inspection, the officer will be understanding. A lot of people don't accomplish registering and inspecting the car in 10 days.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:25 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Yep, order it online and print out the receipt and keep it with you. Odds are in the rare case you get pulled over at the most you will get is a citation that will become void if you show proof of inspection within a certain number of days.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:46 AM

708 posts, read 1,156,779 times
Did he put a rejection sticker on your window by at chance? If he didn't go to another inspection place. Straight up ask them would they reject it over the stud issue before you even let them attemtpt to inspect it. Don't let nobody inspect your car and then fail you, raise hell with them.

Not all inspection stations are the same, even though by law they are suppose to be. As long as your car isn't like something out of Mad Max or Kentucky it shouldn't be too hard to get a inspection sticker from someone.

Like CT asked, What brand is your car?

Old 07-27-2015, 12:44 PM

469 posts, read 576,520 times
Thank you all very much for your replies. I'm going to go ahead and order the parts online and just try and minimize driving until then. The car is a 10 year old Jaguar that the company no longer makes, parts for it can sometimes be pretty hard to come by. The guy that did the inspection didn't charge me anything for it, and he didn't put a sticker on it. He just said to order the pieces and then bring it back ASAP and he'd pass me.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:49 PM

890 posts, read 1,052,795 times
Not advocating driving illegally, but to ease your concerns, I can tell you that driving around Morgantown the police presence is very light. Follow traffic laws and you should be fine. Also make sure all your lights work at night, etc......although I will say Ive never lived somewhere before where so many people have a headlight or taillight out and can drive that way for seemingly ever.....other places Ive lived it seems an officer is pulling you over as soon as you leave your driveway if you have a missing light...so yea, police tend to not mess with you here, one of the very few things I actually like about living here.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:04 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
Thank you all very much for your replies. I'm going to go ahead and order the parts online and just try and minimize driving until then. The car is a 10 year old Jaguar that the company no longer makes, parts for it can sometimes be pretty hard to come by. The guy that did the inspection didn't charge me anything for it, and he didn't put a sticker on it. He just said to order the pieces and then bring it back ASAP and he'd pass me.
There is a dealership on the Mileground (happens to be owned by Biafora) that specializes in exotic foreign cars although I am not sure of the name of it. That might be worth checking into. Personally for car repairs I go to Riverside Auto on Don Knotts Blvd. and have never been disappointed in their service, attitude, integrity, or work. They even have a nice dog (Dallas) to keep you company while they do it. I think they have a relative living in Dallas who doesn't like it much there and wishes they could be here, but is stuck there for work. Like another poster here, I don't advocate driving illegally in any manner, but honestly I don't believe it would be a problem for a couple days. Police here are, in general, more relaxed than most places and very professional.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:31 PM

890 posts, read 1,052,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
There is a dealership on the Mileground (happens to be owned by Biafora) that specializes in exotic foreign cars although I am not sure of the name of it. That might be worth checking into. Personally for car repairs I go to Riverside Auto on Don Knotts Blvd. and have never been disappointed in their service, attitude, integrity, or work. They even have a nice dog (Dallas) to keep you company while they do it. I think they have a relative living in Dallas who doesn't like it much there and wishes they could be here, but is stuck there for work. Like another poster here, I don't advocate driving illegally in any manner, but honestly I don't believe it would be a problem for a couple days. Police here are, in general, more relaxed than most places and very professional.

lol nice try, you'll probably deny it, but that was clearly a jab at me.....its all good though, this town is chock full of people stuck here for work and would rather be wherever theyre from instead....very rarely does someone move to or aspire to remain in Morgantown permanently because they want to.....as for the topic of this thread, Monro on the Mileground is another good place, they get some bad reviews but I dont know why, theyve always done great by me....dont know about Riverside but when it was Meineke they botched a simple brake job so I wont go back to that building lol....and the NAPA store next to Riverside is the worst auto parts store Ive even been in....Also, if you know people from the area, like co-workers or whatever, chances are they'll know the places you can go where the mechanic will dismiss the silly stuff and pass you....

Old 07-27-2015, 07:24 PM

273 posts, read 382,070 times
One place to keep in mind for repairs is Cars, Inc. on University Avenue in Star City. They specialize in European cars, so they may have some experience with models similar to yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown