Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 05:02 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times

Advertisements

I'm driving to Morgantown tomorrow and staying the night. I will be leaving early and touring in the mountains around Seneca Rocks area before heading to Morgantown. Anyone have any suggestions on must see things around your town? Can be historical or just something you should see/visit while there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 07:51 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,422,137 times
If you're driving from Seneca Rocks, depending on your route, take a short stop by Arthurdale in Preston County. It's a New Deal-era planned community.

As for Morgantown proper, drive around and see WVU's campus. Better yet, park up near the hospital/stadium and take the PRT downtown and stroll through the downtown camps (especially Woodburn Circle). As for food/drinks, there's plenty of places in and around town. You may want to stay clear of most of the High Street bars, however.

My personal recs (far from the only good ones):
  • Sights: WVU campus, view from new ballpark at University Town Center, WVU art museum, Coopers Rock, Cheat Lake
  • Food: Tin202 (a little on the expensive side), Tailpipes (great burgers and shakes), Blue Moose (townie coffee shop with some vegetarian and vegan grub), Black Bear (wraps/burritos, Morgantown staple), Mountain State Brewing Co. (specialty pizzas, beer)
  • Drink: The Apothecary (fancy craft beer), Mountain State, Morgantown Brewing Co., Chestnut Brew Works (small tap room, but one of the state's best breweries), Mario's Fishbowl (one of Morgantown's most established traditions - go to the original on Richwood), Gene's (great neighborhood bar)

Old 01-24-2018, 09:10 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
As elewis said, the new WVU Art Museum is certainly worth a visit. It is on WV 705/Patteson Drive. It is free and open to the public. The relatively new Flour and Feed restaurant has great dinner options in the Wharf District, and Stefano's specializes in Italian seafood dishes on 705/Chestnut Ridge Road.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:58 PM

Thank you. I forgot to mention that I'm recovering from a torn Achilles Tendon so can't do a lot of walking. I want to see WVU and will get some pics. Believe it or not I also want to see Don Knotts statue. I loved him on Andy Griffith and I recently read Andy and Don: The making of a friendship and classic TV show. Or something like that. I'll look at the suggestions on here.

I will drive to Arthurdale though.

Last edited by Bigfoot424; 01-24-2018 at 02:06 PM..

Old 01-24-2018, 02:28 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,422,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Thank you. I forgot to mention that I'm recovering from a torn Achilles Tendon so can't do a lot of walking. I want to see WVU and will get some pics. Believe it or not I also want to see Don Knotts statue. I loved him on Andy Griffith and I recently read Andy and Don: The making of a friendship and classic TV show. Or something like that. I'll look at the suggestions on here.

I will drive to Arthurdale though.
Since you want to see the Don Knotts statue (in front of the Met Theatre), then I'll double down on my rec of Tailpipes or Black Bear for dinner (or any number of other places downtown). I'd still urge you to drive over to Mario's for the experience at least; though, if you do partake in a Fishbowl, obviously wait a while before venturing back.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:34 PM

250 posts, read 331,989 times
Suggestion - if you want to get a pretty cool view, head up to the new BW-3 in the University Town Center. Go towards the back of the building...It will give you a really awesome view of the entire city.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Since you want to see the Don Knotts statue (in front of the Met Theatre), then I'll double down on my rec of Tailpipes or Black Bear for dinner (or any number of other places downtown). I'd still urge you to drive over to Mario's for the experience at least; though, if you do partake in a Fishbowl, obviously wait a while before venturing back.
Tailpipes looks awesome. May have to try this.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:06 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Tailpipes looks awesome. May have to try this.
Their burgers are really good, but their fry sauce is delicious. The best thing they make though is their bottom of the cereal bowl milkshakes (essentially a milk shake with breakfast cereal blended in).

Old 01-26-2018, 05:28 AM

For those assisting me here. I left yesterday AM early and drove on Corridor H out of VA. There was snow everywhere but the roads were clear. The snow increased some near Moorefield and was coming down steady but no issues. But then I passed Bismarck and all of the sudden Corridor H disappeared. All 4 lanes were covered. It looked as though no snow removal was happening there at all. It was almost instant in how fast it happened. I have a 4W PU so I kept going for a few miles. I could not get Waze or Googlemaps to work as I lost all service so I could not check the roads ahead. I turned around and took 42 to Rt.50 and could see it was an issue as well. Rather than take a chance of getting stopped on a closed road I just turned around and drove back to VA. Was still a good drive. Will try the recommendations here in the near future.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:34 PM

255 posts, read 391,549 times
Sorry you didn’t make it. Those roads can be bad in winter and unfortunately WV road maintenance is not great at the best of times. I hope you can make the trip later; perhaps in the Spring or Fall; both great time for WV. If your foot is better, a walking tour around town and campus with a stop at the Don Knotts statue followed by a ride on the PRT and lunch at one of the recommended restaurants would be the way to go. If you are a nature lover I would also recommend Cooper’s Rock if the foot is healed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown