Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:40 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,050,416 times

Advertisements

Like all non-commuter oriented schools, WVU initially suffered a decrease in freshman applications earlier this year. They're coming in now. Apparently, the economy isn't having the expected adverse impact.

Article - WVU sees more frosh applications (http://olive.dominionpost.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=RFBvc3QvMjAxMC8wMS8xMSNBcjAwMjAw&Mode=G if&Locale=english-skin-custom - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:56 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,074,480 times
72% are are expected to be out of state students as well.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:06 PM

404 posts, read 1,095,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Like all non-commuter oriented schools, WVU initially suffered a decrease in freshman applications earlier this year. They're coming in now. Apparently, the economy isn't having the expected adverse impact.

Article - WVU sees more frosh applications (http://olive.dominionpost.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=RFBvc3QvMjAxMC8wMS8xMSNBcjAwMjAw&Mode=G if&Locale=english-skin-custom - broken link)

I know this will be unpopular, but it would be nice if the school became more selective thanks to the large number of applicants. Setting new enrollment records every year is great and all.. but WVU needs to become serious about elevating itself to the next level.

But good news regardless!

Old 01-11-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
I know this will be unpopular, but it would be nice if the school became more selective thanks to the large number of applicants. Setting new enrollment records every year is great and all.. but WVU needs to become serious about elevating itself to the next level.

But good news regardless!
They're involved with doing that, and have started the process
by working to hire 100 more faculty members for the next academic
year in order to reduce the student-faculty ratio. They've also
increased the math and language requirements in recent years.

I believe they feel they are about at the optimum size now, and
new increases in applicants will result in greater selectivity in the
future. That's the sense I get from people associated with The
University.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
They're involved with doing that, and have started the process
by working to hire 100 more faculty members for the next academic
year in order to reduce the student-faculty ratio. They've also
increased the math and language requirements in recent years.

I believe they feel they are about at the optimum size now, and
new increases in applicants will result in greater selectivity in the
future. That's the sense I get from people associated with The
University.
That would be great news for my degree! It's funny talking to middle-aged VT grads who compare VT to UVA these days. I've never had the heart to ask what its academic reputation was when they graduated in '78. Maybe I'll be able to pretend I went to an elite institution when I'm older too!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:44 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,617,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
That would be great news for my degree! It's funny talking to middle-aged VT grads who compare VT to UVA these days. I've never had the heart to ask what its academic reputation was when they graduated in '78. Maybe I'll be able to pretend I went to an elite institution when I'm older too!
Haha this comment made me laugh. As someone who also lives in the DC area I am constantly amused when Tech grads (and increasingly JMU grads) try to compare their school academically to UVA or William and Mary. Sorry suckers! I wouldn't say anything if they didn't always try to belittle my WVU degree... but since they do I enjoy jabs at the Hokies anytime I can.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Haha this comment made me laugh. As someone who also lives in the DC area I am constantly amused when Tech grads (and increasingly JMU grads) try to compare their school academically to UVA or William and Mary. Sorry suckers! I wouldn't say anything if they didn't always try to belittle my WVU degree... but since they do I enjoy jabs at the Hokies anytime I can.
Same deal here.. in the Tysons area. Probably stumbled past you at the crab fest sometime in the last few years. At least WVU grads are pretty common around here.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:12 PM

All this "tier" crap is bogus anyway. It basically reflects the
number of faculty members who are involved with research
as opposed to those who teach. VTech was "Third Tier"
until about 10 years ago when they got a spike in enrollment
applications due to success in football. WVU is starting to
experience the same results. Athletic success helps with
the rest of it.

My brother-in-law is a uVa grad, and that is overated too.
They do have a lot of money, though. It's a carry over
from the old English planter class folks who initially funded
the place.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
All this "tier" crap is bogus anyway. It basically reflects the
number of faculty members who are involved with research
as opposed to those who teach. VTech was "Third Tier"
until about 10 years ago when they got a spike in enrollment
applications due to success in football. WVU is starting to
experience the same results. Athletic success helps with
the rest of it.

My brother-in-law is a uVa grad, and that is overated too.
They do have a lot of money, though. It's a carry over
from the old English planter class folks who initially funded
the place.
I used to attribute their recent Academic success to increased popularity due to athletics, however I've realized in the last few years that a lot of it has to two with the substantial growth of Northern Virginia. The influx of high paying jobs have helped to create some of the best public and private schools in the nation. The result is a percentage of qualified students much higher than many states. Until around 1980, there were only a few decent schools that became in huge demand. Even with throwing money at JMU, GMU, Radford, VCU, etc, there's still too many qualified students for the amount of colleges. Hence the requirements have shot up (at all schools, even Radford), and the different areas of the state even have strict quotas. It's sort of been the perfect storm, and the state has managed to capitalize. Perhaps North Central & the Eastern panhandle's continued economic success will do the same for WVU. Of course, increased national popularity due to athletics is great too!

Old 01-12-2010, 06:45 PM

36 posts, read 81,782 times
What percentage of the !5.9K will actually enroll?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown