Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 07:04 PM

153 posts, read 675,538 times

Advertisements

I am putting an offer on a house tomorrow and I am going to use an FHA loan (provided the offer is accepted). How long is the closing process usually? I heard things have been taking longer with FHA loans since a lot of people have started using them. Has anyone closed on an FHA loan recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 07:26 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_woww View Post
I am putting an offer on a house tomorrow and I am going to use an FHA loan (provided the offer is accepted). How long is the closing process usually? I heard things have been taking longer with FHA loans since a lot of people have started using them. Has anyone closed on an FHA loan recently?
As long as you aren't with the big box banks, you should be able to get to closing within 3 to 4 weeks. Sooner, if you already have a current loan app on life.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:01 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,018,907 times
It will depend on who you work with. A friend of mine at one of the big banks, has to lock all loans for 90 days as it is taking them that long to close. Smaller lenders and brokers should be able to get you closed in under a month.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:19 AM

153 posts, read 675,538 times
We are probably going to use Bank of America since the company I work for has a contract with them where I wouldn't pay anything for the application. I am still going to shop around tho to see what else there is available, if our bid is accepted.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:46 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,018,907 times
Guess what bank my buddy works for? Be prepared for a long tough journey. Most places will not charge an application fee and if they do, move on to the next one. And you will find a much better deal elsewhere.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:27 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,652 times
We closed in about 5 weeks using Wells Fargo. Better have a 45 days close on contract just in case anything goes wrong.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 7,329 times
i paid my earnest money 2/13, turned in all the documentation requested and now the mortgage company tells me that the underwriter says 3 to 4 more months. now the mortgage company says it will be another house around the same subdivision. no one ever contacts me unless i call. i feel like so ignored. is this right.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:17 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallory2013 View Post
i paid my earnest money 2/13, turned in all the documentation requested and now the mortgage company tells me that the underwriter says 3 to 4 more months. now the mortgage company says it will be another house around the same subdivision. no one ever contacts me unless i call. i feel like so ignored. is this right.

With B of A, yes. With Chase, yes. With me, I'm closing in 30 days MAX.

What do you mean, the mortgage company said it will be another house???

Old 04-18-2013, 09:07 PM

217 posts, read 326,000 times
My FHA loan actually closes on Tuesday, which is within 30 days. My initial closing date was 45 days, but that was because the family moving out of my new home was still finalizing the deal on their new home. They were able to move up their closing and move out date and so that allowed me to close within those 30 days.

It's really all about how quickly you work with the mortgage broker, title company, and realtor to get all your documents, information, and paperwork signed and shared.

The standard FHA range I hear is about 45-60 days. Again though, if you communicate well with all parties, you can close quicker. It's obviously more paperwork than if it were a standard mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages