Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:46 PM

41 posts, read 369,274 times

Advertisements

I have another question.

On GFE in Important Dates section I have the following
#1 12/23/2011
#2 11/23/2011

Don't these two dates have to match? If not, can this lender bump up origination charge (currently it's $0) after 11/23, even-though they have received all needed papers signed, w2s and pay stubs on 11/10. also they ordered title and appraisal which should be done this week and appraisal report completed by 11/22.

The other lender I spoke to today said these two have to match and my lender is not doing it right. I tried to do some research online and it seemed like charges can't change if the borrower expresses to proceed before #2 date, which I guess is my case.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,262 times
We are now entering the third month of a $100K refi to take out current loan on principal residence and pay off current loan on second home. We 'locked in' a 3.875% rate on a 30 year the first week of this month. However, the mortgage banker has increased our cost of the loan, presumably to compensate them for the low rate ('buy down' or lender's credit?). Our initial loan amount was $103K presuming rolling all costs and fees into the loan. On 11/1, I have an email from the banker indicating that he expected the loan balance to be closer to $102K since we would have reduced the principal on the two current loans (October, November and possibly even December!). And yet he contacted us by phone, indicating that the loan amount would be increasing resulting in a higher monthly payment (approximately $7 per month).
I would add that the borrower is my 91-year old recently widowed mother who, while lucid and intelligent, is confused (as am I) over the increased cost of the loan. Also, how can a lender lock in a rate for more than 30 days in light of an anticipated closing date of late December?
Needless to say, we are disappointed in the length of time that this process has taken. When I attempt to intervene (generally by email) on my mother's behalf, I am rebuked by the banking staff for my 'frequent emails.'

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:56 AM

41 posts, read 369,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
That said, do check with your lender. Not everyone does what's allowed and you must state this early on and not at the closing table - it changes the final figures.
Can you elaborate on this? What can be the gotchas in taking lender's credit?

Being able to refinance again is the reason I took this credit. One lender (not my lender) told me I can refinance as often as every 3 months if I wanted to. I didn't ask my lender for any restrictions on this and I didn't see any in the documents I was provided so far. Can my lender have restrictions on this ?
If so, where would they be specified? I should be closing early-mid december

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages