Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:22 AM

45,408 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Exactly.

For a person who is completely destitute or ruined by their housing experience, what difference
does it make if the forgiven principle is taxable or not? They aren't going to pay anything.

For the strategic defaulter, they get to pay the tax.
Yeah, anyone who knows anything about taxes knows that. So what?

I imagine that you realize that a flower shop gets to deduct the cost of pots when they sell them, right?
I imagine that you realize that a donut shop gets to deduct the cost of natural gas used to cook the donuts, right?
Why don't you imagine that any business owner who borrows money to run a business gets to deduct the interest?

Business interest expense is an expense that is related to earning an income.
It's the same as deducting the cost of goods or wages or equipment.

The HMID bears no relationship to interest deductions in the pursuit of income.

Yeah, I do. Apparently you do, too. Others don't appear to. So you are in favor of loopholes for business to avoid taxes while you favor eliminating a similar loophole for homeowners?

Anyone that buys a house with an eye towards the HMID probably should continue renting. For the rest of us it's one of the very small benefits. I notice (or I missed it) that no one is advocating eliminating the local property tax deduction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 12:45 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, I do. Apparently you do, too. Others don't appear to. So you are in favor of loopholes for business to avoid taxes while you favor eliminating a similar loophole for homeowners?
I don't think loophole means what you think it means.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I don't think loophole means what you think it means.

It doesn't, just using terminology I've noticed. Using set tax regulations, whether it's a deduction for interest paid, or for local property taxes isn't a loophole but accepted, legal, deductions.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:06 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,332 times
Right now would be the worst possible time to do something like this, with the housing market struggling badly to recover still. If they were to do it someday it would need to be phased out very slowly. Obviously the only people in favor of just doing away with it all at once don't own a home. I wouldn't be as concerned with losing the deduction as I would be with home prices plummeting. Again

Old 06-15-2012, 01:20 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
So you are in favor of loopholes for business to avoid taxes
while you favor eliminating a similar loophole for homeowners?
A cost of doing business is not a tax loophole. It is a legitimate business expense.

Business tax loopholes are deductions that other people or businesses cannot take advantage of because they are not the favored group.
Personal tax loopholes are pretty much the same. Deductions for charitable giving is another example.

Also, it is not necessary to quote my entire friggin' post if you are
only responding to the point that I directed at correcting your error.

You bolded my point about the flower pots and the natural gas yet,
amazingly, you completely missed the comparison with interest expenses.

Interest expenses deducted to buy a house are not for the purpose of making a living.
They are only for subsidising the real estate industry and to allow people to buy houses
that they otherwise could not afford ( similar to an automobile lease, but I digress .... ).

Last edited by mortimer; 06-15-2012 at 01:32 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
A cost of doing business is not a tax loophole. It is a legitimate business expense.

Business tax loopholes are deductions that other people or businesses cannot take advantage of because they are not the favored group.
Personal tax loopholes are pretty much the same. Deductions for charitable giving is another example.

Also, it is not necessary to quote my entire friggin' post if you are
only responding to the point that I directed at correcting your error.

You bolded my point about the flower pots and the natural gas yet,
amazingly, you completely missed the comparison with interest expenses.

Interest expenses deducted to buy a house are not for the purpose of making a living.
They are only for subsidising the real estate industry and to allow people to buy houses
that they otherwise could not afford ( similar to an automobile lease, but I digress .... ).
I didn't miss your point, likely understand it way more than you do. You, however, are missing mine.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:07 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
You, however, are missing mine.
OK then, what is your point - stated succinctly then?

Also, how is a legitimate business expense a tax loophole?

How is interest expense different than the natural gas or pot expense that I used as examples?

Old 06-15-2012, 07:10 PM

Here's the point:
Advocating eliminating the HMID is as ludicrous as advocating eliminating business operations deductions. And, while you may not know it, many people who frequent these forums have done just that, or seemed shocked that businesses can deduct things like wages.

There are limits on the HMID now for the upper end, especially on 2nd homes. Even eliminating that would send shock waves through the housing industry. Eliminating it totally, even in stages, would cripple the economy and would take decades to recover.

England was used as an example earlier. I would argue that even England is not a straight line comparison. People can claim all they want to that US home ownership is a new phenomenon and they would be wrong.

From the very first settlers the urge to own property was there. Poor people from England came here as indentured servants and as soon as their indenture was finished they became freeholders. George Washington was the largest landholder in the colonies, and later in the US, at one time. The expansion west after the Revolution was all about land as was the Homestead Act and the later immigration of Scandanavians to the Upper MidWest. What were they promised? Cheap, or in some cases, free land. Something they couldn't get in their home countries.

My ancestors came here from Northern Ireland in the 1740's, and from Bavaria in the 1850's, for land.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:28 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
The mortgage and forgiveness act must continue. Its the only way to deal with this tax problem, its not giving away anything.

When your lender agrees to a short sale, there is no tax on the difference between the selling price and the amount you owe. When your lender forecloses, there is no tax on the canceled debt.

Lets say the act ends, you bought a house for $250,000, you loose your job, bank forecloses and then sells the house for $200,000 that $50,000 will be considered income. If your combined federal and state marginal tax rate is 36%, you would owe $18,000 in taxes.

If you have someone who lost their job and eventually loosing their home to foreclosure, there is no money or assets to get from them. Food stamp use keeps going up and up, and up. Think these people loosing their homes and getting food stamps are going to able to pay the IRS $18,000? On money they never received? In their lifetime? No.

This act was just common sense.

Sure there are some people taking advantage of this, and can pay, but they are the small minority.
There are many ways to exclude that income and the vast majority would not be paying any tax even without the mortgage forgiveness act. Most doing a short sale or being foreclosed on will be able to use the insolvency exclusion. There are other ways to cancel out the phantom income of a short sale or foreclosure, the debt forgiveness act just makes it easier for some and made the politicians look like they were trying to help.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:54 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Sorry, but as much as some are rubbing their hands with glee the deduction may go away (kind of like that macabre attitude some have telling a pregnant woman about the things that can go wrong in delivery), I seriously doubt we will see such a deduction eliminated (unless there's a complete flat tax revamp), at least as long as the housing market is precariously teetering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages