Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 12:30 PM

11 posts, read 27,436 times

Advertisements

This past fall my I qualified for a no-cost HARP refinance. During closing I was presented with a "Occupancy Ackwoledgement" section that had the language "I MUST OCCUPY THE PROPERTY WITHIN 60 DAYS OF THE CLOSING AND CONTINUE TO OCCUPY THE PROPERTY AS MY PRIMARY RESIDENCE FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR."

Now my family is considering moving. We would like to put our house on this market this Spring/Summer. Are we legally bound to not close on a new primary residence until 1 year (Fall 2011) after we signed the refinance? Or is this really just in there to prevent a rental cloaked as a primary residence? Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 02:37 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
The document you signed is a legal agreement that allows the lender to sell the loan as "owner occupied". Owner occupied is big deal becuase in aggregate such loaned are far less risky than investor loans.

If the lender were to find out you are not compliance they COULD force repayment in full.
An obvious violation of the terms of the loan, such as attempting to claim another property OAS a primary residence could similarly trigger a forced repayment.

If there is no way to avoid this you would be wise to understand the details of what the lender could force upon you...

Old 02-27-2011, 05:26 PM

Thanks the the reply.

I guess I don't understand why I should be concerned about "repayment in full" as that would be the goal of selling the residence. No concerns with being underwater either (likely LTV is around .6).

I was surprised at time with the "1 year" restriction, debated going forward with the the refi. Worst case scenario, we look to put our house on the market late summer/early fall, but I will probably give our lender a call.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:26 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
If you are selling the house, you won't need to occupy it for 1 year. That's just to keep you from leasing it out.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:18 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,184 times
why are you refinancing when you're planning on selling within a few months? aren't there costs involved with this??

as noted by others they are concerned you're not going to occupy the property and are going to rent it.

I actually had a real hard time getting my bank to allow me to puchase my second house b/c my first didn't sell. not b/c of debt or income limits, but b/c they didnt' beleive I was going to occupy the new house. finally had to write a 2 page letter explaining why I wanted the new house.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:06 PM

It was a no cost refinance, and the numbers made it a no brainer. (500$ less per month)

I'll follow this up once I hear back from the lender. Hopefully this refi doesn't hold us "hostage" through the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages