Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:34 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times

Advertisements

He sounds like a doll. Not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 02:35 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
This is not a real estate issue but a divorce issue. The divorce laws will decide the outcome. Since you gave up any rights tot he property when you sold it to them, it will bean issue between them as husband and wife. Any desire you have to what it should be went right out the window the day you sold your piece of that pie. It could be split 50/50, it could go mostly to her with some small piece to him, it could go all to her, it could go mostly to hima nd she gets a small part of it, or it could go all to him. This is for a divorce lawyer to fight out with the court because its no longer has anything to do with real estate law. Hopefully you had it titled to protect your family interest, if not, it's out of your hands and into the hands of a judge.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:25 PM

11 posts, read 18,854 times
I am aware that this is a divorce issue. I am also aware that it can be decided in many ways depending upon the judge. I guess what I am searching for is as I said, an educated guess as to what the judge will do. I was hoping that someone knows case law well enough to offer me that guess.

Your assessment, Chicagojlo, is spot on. It is sad that someone who contributed so little emotionally or financially is now trying to capitalize on a situation that he helped create. He is angry and is not concerned with doing what is right, but what will bring the most hurt to my daughter. And I kinow the courts are not always "fair". Already in the custody battle it has been made clear that the court doesn't mind that he is a felon, has three dui's and no license. He is seen by the court as squeaky clean as, well, my daughter, whose record IS squeaky clean!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:49 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
How was the property titled? that's the main thing that will guide a judge or may handcuff them to a certain decission. If they titled it so it is owned by both, it's owned by both. If proper advice from a lawyer was not done, you and your daughter have to suck it up as a lesson learned the hard way. I hope she won't repeat the error and at least spring for a good lawyer in the divorce. If all of you were competent adults when the transactions occured, you just have to live with results of that decission, even if it wasn;t what anyone hoped for.

As for who's squeeky clean, if she married him knowing all that baggage on his record, lets be honest here, she may not be Ms Sweetie Pie squeeky clean as you think.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:18 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
As was previously mentioned, how the title was transferred could well become the determining factor. If both are on the deed, it is de facto "marital property" and will be treated as such.
On a personal level, that is an issue I narrowly escaped...

Old 06-02-2011, 07:23 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
PacificFlights has it right - she married the guy and had a child with him. At some level she had to have known he was a lowlife. Sadly she's learning the expensive way that no amount of love can change a person.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:10 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gram21 View Post
I am aware that this is a divorce issue. I am also aware that it can be decided in many ways depending upon the judge. I guess what I am searching for is as I said, an educated guess as to what the judge will do. I was hoping that someone knows case law well enough to offer me that guess.

Your assessment, Chicagojlo, is spot on. It is sad that someone who contributed so little emotionally or financially is now trying to capitalize on a situation that he helped create. He is angry and is not concerned with doing what is right, but what will bring the most hurt to my daughter. And I kinow the courts are not always "fair". Already in the custody battle it has been made clear that the court doesn't mind that he is a felon, has three dui's and no license. He is seen by the court as squeaky clean as, well, my daughter, whose record IS squeaky clean!
Divorce and custody law is highly state specific. I know "case law" for Maryland, but even if your daughter lives in Maryland, I would not wager an outcome without knowing more facts, the specific court and possibly, the judge assigned to hear the case.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Hmmm. On the squeaky clean issue, I must say in my daughter's defense that she has a "social worker" mentality. She wants to save the world. She sees a "lowlife" and instead of running she thinks "How can I help him?" She tends to see only good in people and thinks that if SHE is good enough she can help them. Not an excuse, just an explanation. As her mom, believe me, it is difficult to stand by and see those poor choices with no ability to control them. I appreciate her optimism, but I am much older and far more cynical.

Thanks, everyone! When and if there is ever a ruling on this (Illinois) I will post. Maybe someone can learn from our mistakes.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:35 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gram21 View Post
After living there for one year they got a mortgage and bought out my half of the property at far less than market value (my choice, wanted them to have a good start in life).
Question, since I'm seeing it all over the forums these days. You said they bought it from you at far less than market value (at that time). Is there still equity in the home at this time with current market values? That could easily effect the judge's decision as well. If the house is currently upside down, the person who ends up with it isn't really getting any favors from the judge, and shouldn't be ordered to sell the house or buy the other person out. But they also wouldn't be able to refinance to get the other person's name off the loan.

I'm assuming from what you said that there is likely still equity, but in today's market, you just never know.

Just thinking out loud.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:34 PM

Housing prices haven't changed much, so its value is about the same as it was when I sold my half. The house is worth about $190K. So, each half would have been worth about $95K. I sold my portion to them for $75K. So, yes, there is a lot of equity in the home. I am pretty sure my SIL is seeing at least half of $37K (half of the half they refinanced) or even $95K (half of total value of the home) as being due him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages