Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 02:31 PM

8 posts, read 23,228 times

Advertisements

Question for you all:

My husband and I are looking to buy our first home. We are planning to go with a FHA loan and put down 3.5%.

We are currently trying to determine what the Harris County property tax rate is, how PMI is determined, and what the monthly premium for homeowner's insurance would be, so that we can determine exactly how much house we can afford.

Anyone know anything about these things?

Edit: OH, and this is for Houston, Texas residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:25 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times
Can you give a specific area? In the Houston market it varies but I'll give you rough estimates.

Property Taxes = 2.1-4.2%

Don't know about the other stuff.

My property tax rate is 3.1% and got a 15yr loan putting down 3.5% (164K home) and I pay 1,780/month and I live in Dickinson. But my payment includes Wind Insurance of 600/yr due to living in Galveston County. PMI is really low on a 15yr loan. I think I pay around 25 bucks a month. On a 30yr loan it would've been over 120/month.

Good luck.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:19 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AESS86 View Post
Question for you all:

My husband and I are looking to buy our first home. We are planning to go with a FHA loan and put down 3.5%.

We are currently trying to determine what the Harris County property tax rate is, how PMI is determined, and what the monthly premium for homeowner's insurance would be, so that we can determine exactly how much house we can afford.

Anyone know anything about these things?

Edit: OH, and this is for Houston, Texas residents.
Figure 3-4% and you'll be in a safe range for insurance and taxes. Can vary though if you will be in Clear Lake or the bay area, you will need additional wind insurance. Flood insurance is always a good idea. The taxing entities will be: MUD/City taxes, school taxes, county taxes and several smallish district taxes (i.e. hospital district).

Old 06-15-2011, 02:56 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,916,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AESS86 View Post
.....our first home. We are planning to go with a FHA loan and put down 3.5%....determine what the Harris County property tax rate is, how PMI is determined, and what the monthly premium for homeowner's insurance would be, so that we can determine exactly how much house we can afford.

Anyone know anything about these things? Edit: OH, and this is for Houston, Texas residents.

Welcome to the site. Congrats on buying your first home.

For the taxes -Search by Property Address at Harris County Block Book Search

FHA loans are the right type of loan for first time home buyers. Noting FHA loans are the worst type of loan for loan modifications.

Be advised - FHA insures loans with Mortgage Insurance Premium (MIP), compared to a Lender charging Principle Mortgage Insurance (PMI)...

I could get technical - keeping things simple. This is how your can calculate it. Multiply your Loan Amount by 1.15% (rate charged for FHA loans). Divide that by 12 months to see your payment.

Concerning your home owners insurance - talk to the people where you have your cars insured with, asking about a blanket policy for both your cars and home together. Most times you can get a discount...

One more piece of advice - plan on sending extra into payment. Take one payment and divide by 12 and add that 1/12th into your normal payment. That will reduce your term by 7.5 years, it lowers your net effective interest rate by 2%, the best is you can really manipulate your credit score higher...

Good Luck...

[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages