Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:16 PM

29 posts, read 138,113 times

Advertisements

Hi. I refinanced recently and I noticed that the line 810 states "Broker Discount to XXXBank by XXXBroker" (58.90 p.o.c) My total loan was 292k, how much was the commission to the broker from the bank ? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 12:22 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
The p.o.c. probably means in business terms - paid outside of closing.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:31 PM

29 posts, read 138,113 times
Based on the numbers I have given, is it possible to determine the commission dollar amount ?

Old 09-15-2011, 06:26 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,019,437 times
yes...based on what information you gave it is impossible to know how much the broker made. I am curious, why are you interested in what he/she made? if you go to the doctors office, are you also concerned how much the doctor made? O

Old 09-15-2011, 06:40 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
I am curious, why are you interested in what he/she made?
taking a stab at it...
I suspect that the interest is less about the specific number than in the lack of transparency about it.

Quote:
if you go to the doctors office, are you also concerned how much the doctor made?
since you ask... yes, very much so.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
taking a stab at it...
I suspect that the interest is less about the specific number than in the lack of transparency about it.

since you ask... yes, very much so.

So should Walmart let all shoppers know how much they are making when you buy a notebook or a jar or Ragu?

Old 09-18-2011, 07:29 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
I think Walmart's price structure is off subject as it is a retail establishment.
OP wants to know what he was charged for a refinance, not a roll of toilet paper.
VB, as a Certified Mortgage Planner, a direct reply to his inquiry would have been refreshing.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I think Walmart's price structure is off subject as it is a retail establishment.
OP wants to know what he was charged for a refinance, not a roll of toilet paper.
VB, as a Certified Mortgage Planner, a direct reply to his inquiry would have been refreshing.

Well Heidi, if you took the time to read each post, you should clearly see i answered his question. I then simply posed a question of why he would want to know.

But obviously, you didnt read any posts. You even say he wanted to know what he was charged...The poster wanted to know how much he made in commission, not charged.. All charges attached to a mortgage loan are outlined on the good faith estimate and the HUD statement at closing. So everyone knows exactly what was charged. As a commentor on posts, it would be refreshing if you read what you commented on.

I also disagree about walmart being off subject as it is a retail establishment. Now, this might be news to you, so sit down. All banks are retail establishments! Hope that didnt blow your mind. They sell a product, a loan, the borrower at one price, loan at a higher price and make a profit. Just like walmart on that toilet paper..

Old 11-16-2011, 04:26 PM

41 posts, read 369,274 times
I'd also like to know how much broker is making on a refinance. Having this info I'd know how much I can negotiate. Walmart prices are mostly the same throughout the country. If the cost of a loan at the same interest rate was the same, it'd be like walmart and I wouldn't care. However, when you shop for a loan you get different figures for things like fees, lender's credit, etc. Some brokers are more than willing to eat some or even all of the costs, others aren't so willing.

Just like with new cars, dealer gets holdback no matter what. I'd like to get some of it because it's my money.

As for how much doctor makes from my visit - I could care less if the insurance company pays for the bill 100%. But if my money is used (copay, hra, etc) then yes, I want to know and I'd love to know ahead of time. I and my wife went to two different doctors with the same insurance to have the same procedure done and one doctor got paid about 40% more then the other. I don't know what they billed, but the difference was quite a few dollars in copay.

Last edited by Nikon5400; 11-16-2011 at 04:41 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 01:33 PM

835 posts, read 3,978,634 times
Brokers have to disclose to the penny what they're fees are. If you don't know you are working with a lender and not a broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages