Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 08:05 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,213,883 times

Advertisements

I'm not really sure how this works. Say Bernanke cuts the rate by .25. Does that mean the avg. mortgage rate will drop by .25 also? In other words, do lenders typically pass on 100% of the rate cut to the borrower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 03:13 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
I'm not really sure how this works. Say Bernanke cuts the rate by .25. Does that mean the avg. mortgage rate will drop by .25 also? In other words, do lenders typically pass on 100% of the rate cut to the borrower?
At this time all bets are off and nothing goes according to the historical logic and fundamentals. There are many analysts out there who honestly say their guesses are as good as mine and yours... I personally think the mortgage rates probably will go down, but not as much. They traditionally move along with the yield on the 10-year Treasury note, but now the mortgage rates go down by a lot less. There was an explanation on bankrate's site. The economists call it 'spread' and this spread is bigger when the risk is perceived to be higher.

Holden Lewis wrote about this not long ago on his blog: Mortgage Matters: A Web log on mortgages by Bankrate.com's Holden Lewis

You can find it in the archives.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:04 PM

85 posts, read 208,277 times
A .25 percent cut might not affect mortgage rates downward at all.

There are traditional relations between the 10 year yield curve and the 30 year fixed rate mortgages...but...

It is all a supply & demand PLUS yield spread issue now. You can throw out traditional indicators.

It is unlikely that any fed funds rate reduction will bring back subprime mortgages to any effective level.

I doubt Jumbo or Alt-A mortgage rates will fall much.

The most likely impact of a fed funds rate cut to mortgages will be in the conforming loans area. These are fully documented income loans less than 417,000 in loan amount with 5% or more down payment.

All bets are off for any other loan product...I would not be surprised to see mortgage rates rise even after a fed funds cut.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpsandHorns View Post
I would not be surprised to see mortgage rates rise even after a fed funds cut.
I've seen some opinions to that effect, too...

Old 08-28-2007, 09:15 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,591,041 times
the PRIME RATE may fall as it is tied to the fed funds rate. BUT Prime rate is tied to 2nd mortgages, student loans, credit cards, etc.

if you want to know if the rates dropped in a day....look at the stock market.

if the market dropped...like it did today...then the rates will drop.
if the market does very well then the rates will go up.

mortgages are tied to the 10yr bonds....

if the market is doing good...nobody will buy bonds..and put their money in the market.
if the market is doing bad or it crashes like in 09/11...then everyone will buy bonds.

i'm a mortgage broker..and i always look at the 10yr bond rates around 11am...to see if the rates are going to drop or go up.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:33 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,147,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post
the PRIME RATE may fall as it is tied to the fed funds rate. BUT Prime rate is tied to 2nd mortgages, student loans, credit cards, etc.

if you want to know if the rates dropped in a day....look at the stock market.

if the market dropped...like it did today...then the rates will drop.
if the market does very well then the rates will go up.

mortgages are tied to the 10yr bonds....

if the market is doing good...nobody will buy bonds..and put their money in the market.
if the market is doing bad or it crashes like in 09/11...then everyone will buy bonds.

i'm a mortgage broker..and i always look at the 10yr bond rates around 11am...to see if the rates are going to drop or go up.
Exactly how I remember it from my days as a mtg broker.

Prime rate really does not effect mortgage rates much at all. The main reason the fed raises or lowers the prime rate is to tame inflation. If they cut too soon and inflation gets out of control all the foreign currency flowing into the U.S. will stop (hence buying less U.S. mortgaged backed bonds) pushing rates higher.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post
You're generally right, of course, but lately that's not quite the case. Even if mortgage rates drop, it's not nearly by as much as they used to in the past.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,982 times
Default Lock now?

So, if I'm planning to re-fi, should I lock on Monday or wait until Wednesday?

Old 09-15-2007, 07:25 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
There is a school of thought that says if we cut rates while other countries are raising rates that will send more money overseas and only exacerbate the liquidity crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages