Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2007, 08:26 AM

8 posts, read 72,324 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I’m 23 and looking to buy my first condo next month. I have already been approved for a mortgage, seen the model, and talked to the real estate agent. My next move is to put the $$ down to hold the unit the let my lawyer take a look at the contract.

I know people that pay property taxes annually, but I don’t know really how that works, or where to find information or how much that would be.

On the estimate from the mortgage company, there is a cost for "taxes" in my mortgage payment a month. Is that all the taxes I pay, or is there a tax I pay annually as well?

My first time buying, and i want to be well informed before I get in over my head.

Any information is helpful.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 09:02 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Its probably in your morgage payment, and thats all you pay in taxes. The best way to figure it out is its 2% of the sale of your place. And If you qualify for Homestead exception you get 25k off the sale price, and then 2% of that number is your tax cost. So for instance a $200,000 home that doesn't qualify for Homestead exemption will pay around $4,000 in taxes. If they qualify for homestead excemption, it will be around $3,500.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:16 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
I would advise you not to sign anything at all until you receive some objective analysis not only of taxes, but of the real estate market in Miami/Dade in general - and not from a real estate agent, lawyer, the seller, some journalist, or some mainstream economist, Moderator cut: insults are not nessesary

But, to answer your question, in Florida the rule of thumb is that your annual property tax is around 2% of the purchase price. So if you are paying $300k for the condo, your annual tax bill will be in the neighborhood of $6,000. Now, how that is calculated into your monthly mortgage bill is another question.

More specifically, the county property tax assessor sets the taxable value of your property each year, supposedly in line with market prices, minus a $25k homestead exemption if you are a full-time Florida resident and declare a homestead, and then your tax is will be a certain percentage of that assessed value. The percentage, known as millage rate, in Florida can vary from like 1.6% (expressed as 16 I believe) and up to 2.5%. I believe that the Dade millage rate is on the high end, so around 2.25%-2.50%.

If you have homestead protection, your assessed value cannot increase by more than 3% in any one year. However, millage rates can be changed.

Good luck!

Last edited by mbmouse; 11-04-2007 at 07:12 AM..

Old 10-31-2007, 12:49 PM

8 posts, read 72,324 times
Wow, good feedback. (And I’m a woman by the way : )

I have another question. Any suggestions on how to use a condo; or should I say the equity in a condo; to get rid of a high interest a student loan?

Old 11-01-2007, 05:08 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23yr_home_buyer View Post
[color=black]Wow, good feedback.
I have another question. Any suggestions on how to use a condo; or should I say the equity in a condo; to get rid of a high interest a student loan?
In theory, you could take out a home equity loan at an interest rate of around 7% which would be convenient assuming that your student loan rate is higher.

In practice, it really depends on the financial details of the condo purchase: is the purchase price below current comparables, what percentage of down payment, your monthly expenses compared to income?, etc.

The best thing would be to go into your own, economically productive, business. In that case, you can explore the tax code for ways to optimize your financial situation.

In any case, good luck!

Old 11-03-2007, 04:38 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
If you have homestead protection, your assessed value cannot increase by more than 3% in any one year. However, millage rates can be changed.
Which makes "homestead" worthless in real terms. Since the tax is value X rate, if you can change the rate to be anything you want limiting value doesn't limit your taxes at all.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:17 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Hello,
Seeing as this question is really more about how a mortgage and escrows work, You will get better answers in the mortgage forum, so moving it there for you.
Good luck on your move.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:48 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
Make sure to take in account the monthly HOA fees for the Condo.
They range from 150-300 per month.

I would talk to the tax rep before trying to refinance for student loans.

student loans are tax deductible....so there may not be a great advantage of consolidating EXCEPT that you will turn a 5-10yr plan to a 30yr fixed plan.

you maybe paying more for that student loan if you decided to roll it in to your mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages