Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:23 AM

624 posts, read 1,071,597 times

Advertisements

So, can I, as a buyer, call the Appraisal Management Company to expedite? The Appraisal report says to contact Loan Officer with any questions but it sounds that the LO is in the same boat as me. The are not in control. They don't know when the response will come but they are hoping it's not going to be more than 48 hours, which we have allocated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 10:35 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Lenders can't???

I need to turn in a bunch of my clients then I guess. I am an appraiser and I talk to lenders all the time.
Hope you're around.

I just had an Appraisal "Thrown Out" by an underwriter because they disagreed with the value. (They are not even in TX)

Never heard of this before, do you see on occasion ?

Old 06-19-2013, 11:50 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
This can happen but hopefully vary rarely. It's not so much that underwriter doesn't like the value. The underwriter can't throw out an appraisal because it didn't meet the sales price.

However, it can happen that the underwriter didn't feel the appraiser supported the value conclusion adequately. An appraisal is an opinion of value and the appraiser has to be able to support that value.

There could have been problems with the age/distance of the comparables, the number or size of the adjustments used, inconsistencies of the adjustments, the final net/ gross adjustments, the type of closed sales used. As in arm's length sales versus liquidated sales or other potential non arm's length sales. Or all of the above on one appraisal.

In other words, the appraiser did not convince the underwriter that the value opinion made sense. Must have been a really bad appraisal though to have to go back to square one and get another appraisal . Or---
Was this an unusual property ? Like a one of a kind in a rural area ? There are some properties that require a really experienced local appraisal to figure out the value and an underwriter who understands appraising an oddball property.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:29 AM

64 posts, read 183,114 times
The same thing happened to me yesterday. All conditions clear, appraisal question comes out of nowhere. Curious which bank/mtg company you had this come up with?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:12 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,908,228 times
If an underwriter sees signs of sloppy work, they'll throw out the appraisal in a heartbeat. I had one last week, the appraiser put the comp (new construction) next door as 10 miles away. She also had it as an REO (not).....the list just kept going, and at one point, the UW lost faith with the competence and kicked the report. It was so bad, we sent it to the owner of the AMC, who replaced it with another appraiser and report for no charge.

The errors do not need to be as glaring as my situation, but if the underwriter loses confidence in the appraiser's ability, then they MUST throw out the appraisal. The collateral for the loan is 50% of the credit decision. The problem that I see is the loan officer and/or the processor should have noticed it before it got to the underwriter. Because mine was glaring, by the time my file got to the UW, we already had the 2nd one in the works and was turned in 2 days after the UW kicked it. But good processors and LO's know how to review a report and spot trouble.

As for the OP, I can guarantee the builder's lender would not be waiting 1 week on an appraisal condition. The builder isn't hootin' and hollerin' because he has no pull with your lender. The attitude here is you chose them, it's your problem. And this is something every buyer needs to consider when going outside. If you lose your lock, this is going to be very expensive.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 AM

624 posts, read 1,071,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche060 View Post
The same thing happened to me yesterday. All conditions clear, appraisal question comes out of nowhere. Curious which bank/mtg company you had this come up with?
it was a small local lender. Thankfully, we closed on June 21st, the appraisal came back with an additional comp I guess.

Lesson learned - schedule the appraisal very early on in the process.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:27 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,319,394 times
More than likely, the lender's underwriter(s) were ok with the file, and it was Cleared to Close by them - - which mean, it then goes to their Compliance officer, and perhaps also the actual investor on the loan (Wells, Chase, etc.) - - and somewhere in those two additional lines of review, somebody saw a red flag.

Think in terms of a Forensic Attorney, ten years from now, poring over a file in an attempt to get the entire balance of a loan, with interest and penalties, paid to the borrower because a little "i" wasn't dotted. It happens, and it, as well as the prospect of a Buyback or UN-investable loan, has resulted in additional review steps.

So, you are not Cleared to Close until you are sitting at the Title company, and have signed docs, and the wire has been released. It ain't over til it's over.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:53 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
it was a small local lender. Thankfully, we closed on June 21st, the appraisal came back with an additional comp I guess.
If this is the case your appraisal may be invalid. Asking for an additional comp is in violation with Dodd Frank.

A lender can do 1 of 3 things: 1) accept the appraisal as-is; 2) Have a review done or 3) have a new appraisal done.

In my experience, the additional comp request has no bearing on the validity of the appraisal, but serves mostly to satisfy some issue within the UW own system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages