Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 03:17 PM

523 posts, read 2,906,090 times

Advertisements

It's $50/month which is a decent amount, IMO. However, I went ahead and locked. I figure it's better than the 6.25% the market was at when I put a contract on the house and a lot better than the 6.75% that rates were at just a couple of months ago. I am still allowed to "unlock" first thing in the morning if I change my mind. I guess I can look at the futures market and see if there is a good indication that stocks may plummet again but I feel like they're set to rebound. I'm guessing if the economy gets far worse over the next few months, rates will go down a lot and I'll probably just need to refinance again, anyway. I really wish I didn't have to use the builder's lender!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post
Pretty good whether paying an origination or not.
Make sure to receive a good faith estimate spelling out your offer.

Lenders might say 'no points' as they dont consider origination fee a 'discount point'.

I would say rates may go down....but I would look at an amortization calculator and put 5.75....and subtract that by 5.5%...and see if it's worth the risk on a monthly basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 03:19 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
you dont have to use them....but this is something you have to negotiate before you sign any of their papers. Either way it sounds like a good deal.
A lot of ppl are getting 6%+ from the builder

You will need to wait till noon tomorrow to see if the rates went up or down.
Most lenders update around 11AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
It's $50/month which is a decent amount, IMO. However, I went ahead and locked. I figure it's better than the 6.25% the market was at when I put a contract on the house and a lot better than the 6.75% that rates were at just a couple of months ago. I am still allowed to "unlock" first thing in the morning if I change my mind. I guess I can look at the futures market and see if there is a good indication that stocks may plummet again but I feel like they're set to rebound. I'm guessing if the economy gets far worse over the next few months, rates will go down a lot and I'll probably just need to refinance again, anyway. I really wish I didn't have to use the builder's lender!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:55 PM

239 posts, read 938,960 times
Anu2

You did a good thing

Today I locked with friday price at 6.25% LPMI with 0.75% origination point for 95% loan 305K

Old 01-08-2008, 06:46 AM

Well, in this case, I think it benefited me by using the builder's lender too much. Not only did I get half price upgrades but I also got $5k towards closing and a year of HOA dues paid. In the end, I only have to come to closing with downpayment, prepaid interest, and taxes. So, not too bad!

Unfortunately, to "unlock" my loan, I have to do so before 9AM this morning so I can't wait to see what rates will be today. It looks like the bond market is down and stocks should be up so I'll just stick with what I have. I know it's impossible to time the market, anyway, so I'll just have to be happy with my payment terms.

Thanks for your comments!

Quote:
you dont have to use them....but this is something you have to negotiate before you sign any of their papers. Either way it sounds like a good deal.
A lot of ppl are getting 6%+ from the builder

You will need to wait till noon tomorrow to see if the rates went up or down.
Most lenders update around 11AM

Old 01-08-2008, 06:48 AM

Thanks for your words of support. I actually kept waking up last night because I was nervous about my decision to lock in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkblue View Post
Anu2

You did a good thing

Today I locked with friday price at 6.25% LPMI with 0.75% origination point for 95% loan 305K

Old 01-08-2008, 07:49 AM

You did good!

The rates seem to be heading in the upwards direction

Quote:
Thanks for your words of support. I actually kept waking up last night because I was nervous about my decision to lock in!

Old 01-08-2008, 11:48 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
You did good!

The rates seem to be heading in the upwards direction
Well, I might've been a day or two early, but better a little early than way too late! Me still happy.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:29 PM

I was just looking at CNN money and it says that the 10 year has gone up 4 1/32 today. I've never heard of such a big jump ever. Is this correct? Did mortgage rates get repriced a bunch today?

Old 01-11-2008, 02:32 PM

10 Yr Bond(%) 3.8100% -0.0770

they're in the red.....mortgage rates are usually updated daily around 11am.
If the market drops...then the wholesale lenders/direct lenders leave the rates alone and make more money.
If the market goes up...then they adjust the rates higher.

Quote:
I was just looking at CNN money and it says that the 10 year has gone up 4 1/32 today. I've never heard of such a big jump ever. Is this correct? Did mortgage rates get repriced a bunch today?

Old 01-12-2008, 12:40 PM

239 posts, read 938,960 times
10 yr bond yield is 3.78%
Mortgage rate 30 yr fixed - 5.52% This is the lowest I have heard i recent times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages