Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,096 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am new to the site,but have found some very valuable information on here. Long story short,my wife and I are looking to buy our first home. We are looking at Usda as the loans through them are really good compared to fha. Here is were the problem starts. First,we were originally told that our student loans that are on ibr payment plan would not count as they are 0,and they would add 1% of the total of all student loans as a factor in dti. The only way around that is to get our ibr higher. Fine,not an issue. New jobs and more income now.

Today I get a call from Usda saying they have changed the direct loan to 1.5% of the total lump sum of our loans together. My wife's and mine. Takes our dti way over in back end. I was then told that if our ibr is 0,and the garunteed program would work as it states. If you have an ibr under 100 they would add 100 to your dti, which is much better than 1 or 1.5% total loans. I called our mortgage guy back and said,Hey! I finally got some head way. He then goes on to say with the automated underwriting he is worried it will charge 100 per each line that is on the credit report. If they did 100 per line that would add up above the 1 or 1.5% for the lump sum. They(usda) nor the government make things easy.

To add: we have an income of 44,000

car is 364 month
cc-are 80 a month for all of them, could close a couple out,but was told not too.

Those are the only 2 reacquiring debts we have. We are pre approved, but nobody seems to be able to figure out these new automated underwriting laws,or how the usda calculates the student loans for the guarantee program. The student loans and how they are calculated are a hurdle we are trying to over come. Thanks all for any and all help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 07:14 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
What's ibr?

Contact US-Guranted

Old 01-27-2014, 07:40 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
ibr = income based repayment ( for student loans)

Old 01-28-2014, 05:25 AM

279 posts, read 544,700 times
I just closed on a USDA guaranteed loan last week. I did not use my regualr bank for the loan, I went with someone that specializes in USDA loans. The lender does not have to use GUS. Ask them to write the loan manually.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 5,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower--girl View Post
I just closed on a USDA guaranteed loan last week. I did not use my regualr bank for the loan, I went with someone that specializes in USDA loans. The lender does not have to use GUS. Ask them to write the loan manually.

We are trying to use fifth third for the usda grantee loan. My wife works there and has special discounts for having the mortgage through them. I have even called around to mortgage brokers and other loan offices,but they are all saying they have the automated under writing,and no way to get into gus. I guess the only option left is to just have the mortgage lender at fifth third do it and see what happens when usda gets it. Doesn't hurt to try I assume. I have been back and forth past 2 weeks trying to get all the information we need so there are no potential hick-ups along the way. But,I guess that is for a more perfect world scenario. Just discouraging.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
You cannot request a Manual Underwrite. GUS must be executed every time. Certain factors may trigger a Manual Underwrite, but it's not an option that a borrower can preemptively choose.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:47 AM

GUS can kick you into a manual underwrite.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
GUS can kick you into a manual underwrite.
no ****, that's what I just said. You said to "request" a manual underwrite, which cannot be done.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:37 AM

Wow. Cranky much? Have a great day!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Wow. Cranky much? Have a great day!
Yes I am "cranky much." Fifteen years in Mortgage will do that - I'm just trying to provide clear and accurate information here, instead of hearsay and BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages