Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 07:43 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,746,877 times

Advertisements

With the rates dropping, I am actively looking for lenders to refinance. I shot out a preliminary application through Lending Tree.

I received a contact from a broker "Nationwide Lending Corporation" based out of Chicago, IL and "North American Savings Bank" out of KS.

Here is an example of rates quoted:
Quote:
30 year 4.375%-1pt., 4.50% 1/2pt,4.625%-.158pts

15 year 4.25%-1pt,4.375%-1/2pt,4.50-no pts
I am also going to a couple of local branches in my town.

I have a couple of concerns:

How will I know that the appraisal will go through? If the house doesn't appraise for the 80% threshold, do I just pay the difference?

How should I judge a lender? Am I better off getting a lender locally, rather than going to the aforementioned businesses.?

Won't they just sell my mortgage off as a commodity, anyways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 08:29 PM

180 posts, read 694,847 times
Now more than ever, you need someone who is in tune with the market and what is going on with rates. Rates are extremely volatile right now as are guidelines and you need to make sure you have someone who knows what's going on.

I always recommend working with someone you can meet with face to face and get a feel for their competency.

A good broker will always beat a good credit union who will usually beat a good bank who will always beat a bad broker.

After an interview and a few conversations, a good broker will be easy to spot. Get referrals, read reviews, go on yelp.com, visit NAMB to see who is certified in your area.

Anyone can quote a rate, hell, I'll quote you 3.5% APR today if you want it. Let's see if it's there at closing and if the LO will be able to actually get the deal closed.

Lending Tree is simply a lead source for Brokers. It's a misnomer when it says, when banks compete, you win. It's actually just a bunch of brokers. You will usually get a lowball quote that has very little chance of being able to get locked on any normal timeframe.

A favorite trick is to quote a 15 day lock and in the fine print, tell the borrower that the rate is only good for approved loans already in the pipeline. That's not really a ratelock at all, is it.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:11 PM

I locked at 4.625 with no points or origination fee. My appraisal came back (only $6k less than what I paid in 2007 - whew!). I know someone whose appraiser knocked their appraisal $200k less than what they paid. We want our appraisal to be what we hope it would be (It was $50k to $100k more than what the various internet home values was saying).I realize that the appraisal is arbitrary but I felt good about it.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:47 PM

180 posts, read 694,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I locked at 4.625 with no points or origination fee. My appraisal came back (only $6k less than what I paid in 2007 - whew!). I know someone whose appraiser knocked their appraisal $200k less than what they paid. We want our appraisal to be what we hope it would be (It was $50k to $100k more than what the various internet home values was saying).I realize that the appraisal is arbitrary but I felt good about it.
Assuming the fees are good, that's a nice lock. That's the same as I'm quoting today for 740+ fico, under 80% LTV, and I know I quote really low compared to the market.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:24 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,159,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
With the rates dropping, I am actively looking for lenders to refinance. I shot out a preliminary application through Lending Tree.

I received a contact from a broker "Nationwide Lending Corporation" based out of Chicago, IL and "North American Savings Bank" out of KS.

Here is an example of rates quoted:

I am also going to a couple of local branches in my town.

I have a couple of concerns:

How will I know that the appraisal will go through? If the house doesn't appraise for the 80% threshold, do I just pay the difference?

How should I judge a lender? Am I better off getting a lender locally, rather than going to the aforementioned businesses.?

Won't they just sell my mortgage off as a commodity, anyways?
Personally I can't beleive people apply on Lending Tree and then do their mortgage with a complete unknow person and company.

You might save a couple bucks or you might end up with a big headached and multiple problems. This on what is likely the largest transactions in someone's life.

You all ready have concerns. Go with a reputable local bank, creidit union or broker.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:55 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,723,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Personally I can't beleive people apply on Lending Tree and then do their mortgage with a complete unknow person and company.

You might save a couple bucks or you might end up with a big headached and multiple problems. This on what is likely the largest transactions in someone's life.

You all ready have concerns. Go with a reputable local bank, creidit union or broker.
What's the difference between doing it online or using an institution you can walk into? If something goes wrong, you have an actual face to yell at? Do local institutions never have problems?

If the purpose of refinancing is to save money, go where the deal is imo. Why do I care who holds the mortgage as long as I can pay it and the terms are good?

Old 04-20-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post

Thanks. When I went to the banks, myself, it was not like the brokers were cutting me a break, the cost was actually more because of the 'processing fee' and origination fee.

I had those concerns so I went with a local bank.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewSoss View Post
Assuming the fees are good, that's a nice lock. That's the same as I'm quoting today for 740+ fico, under 80% LTV, and I know I quote really low compared to the market.
I have a score in the high 700s and the LTV was 73%.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:06 AM

2 posts, read 14,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewSoss View Post
What would you suggest for a 90% LTV with income to debt ratio of 60%?My request for modification was denied by Countrywide because I already have a low interest rate but it is interest only and will be an adjustable in 2 years and my loan is not Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. Interest rates are low now and Countrywide won't refinance me either because of my high interest to debt ratio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages