Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 03:42 PM
ymd ymd started this thread

51 posts, read 145,111 times

Advertisements

I have signed up to build a house which will probably ready by September. One of our cars got totaled recently and we need another car.

I have enough savings to put down 20% on the house and with the insurance money we got for the totaled car as well as other savings we can buy a new replacement car paying cash. But, then we may not have enough for our furniture etc.

If we buy a car now, will it affect our mortgage rate for the house we will be getting? Is it OK if I take a loan for the car?

I have a credit score of over 805. I don't want it to get dinged when I actually get the mortgage for my house.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 03:50 PM

96 posts, read 152,756 times
Speak with your loan officer about this. Make sure your debt and income ratios don't fall out of line with the new payment. You need to make sure you have enough reserves required by the bank.

Your credit score will be affected by both, the purchase of the car and the house. However, you want to have the better credit score when buying the house rather than the car, because the loan amount is bigger for the house.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,632,070 times
My suggestion is to take the money that you got for the totaled car and buy a car using that amount maybe a thousand more out of pocket. I would NOT go purchasing a new car or take a loan
Your insurance rate will go up on a new car. Your DTI will change if you take a loan for a car which I turn may affect your loan fir the house. Your credit is great but it's not the end all to a loan qualification calculation

Old 05-12-2014, 04:03 PM

121 posts, read 165,185 times
If you can do both well within your means, it will have little impact on the loan. You can always check with the lender if you think it will have too large of an impact on your DTI or have too much effect on your reserves.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:18 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,956,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
My suggestion is to take the money that you got for the totaled car and buy a car using that amount maybe a thousand more out of pocket. I would NOT go purchasing a new car or take a loan
Your insurance rate will go up on a new car. Your DTI will change if you take a loan for a car which I turn may affect your loan fir the house. Your credit is great but it's not the end all to a loan qualification calculation
This is what I would recommend. The unknown in this equation is interest rate. Unless you have huge room in your back ratio, I do not recommend you add to your debt load. And if you do, be prepared to pay it off if necessary and finance the furniture after moving in.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:12 AM
ymd ymd started this thread

51 posts, read 145,111 times
Thank you all for your advice. I guess, we should simply get a cheap car for now till we move into our new house. Depending on the reliability of the cheap car, we can then sit back, look at our finances and maybe decide on exchanging for a new car then.

It was really helpful to solve our dilemma, posting here. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
This is what I would recommend. The unknown in this equation is interest rate. Unless you have huge room in your back ratio, I do not recommend you add to your debt load. And if you do, be prepared to pay it off if necessary and finance the furniture after moving in.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,224 times
I think it depends on various factors, including your income. But in my opinion, most cases, there won’t be a significant impact. Contacting a mortgage broker may help you know better. A few years back, my friend had a similar situation, where he had to buy a new car before getting a home mortgage. He talked with his mortgage broker at The Financial Forum in Toronto and in the end, he still got mortgage at a good rate. I have to say, both him and his wife are employed and they have a pretty good income, which might have helped them.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:59 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,812,597 times
There won’t be a significant impact !!!

If you buy a new vehicle while under contract with this home, you'll wont qualify.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:07 PM

18,551 posts, read 15,629,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymd View Post
Thank you all for your advice. I guess, we should simply get a cheap car for now till we move into our new house. Depending on the reliability of the cheap car, we can then sit back, look at our finances and maybe decide on exchanging for a new car then.

It was really helpful to solve our dilemma, posting here. Thanks again.
Yeah. Cheap car to buy time until closing is good.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:55 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,511,618 times
This thread is a year old. I'm sure OP made a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages