Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 05:45 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times

Advertisements

Low cost initial consultation with a lawyer through the city or county Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service in the state where property is located.

Getting your "name off" of a legal document isn't as simple as packing up your belongings and moving out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 582 times
A friend of mine bought some property years ago and there is a deed of trust on it and my name is on it. I had no idea that this was done, I didn't do it. So how do I get my name off of the deed of trust, so that my friend can sell it. As far as I know the property has been paid for.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:20 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debylk View Post
A friend of mine bought some property years ago and there is a deed of trust on it and my name is on it. I had no idea that this was done, I didn't do it. So how do I get my name off of the deed of trust, so that my friend can sell it. As far as I know the property has been paid for.

The Deed of Trust exists only to secure the mortgage.
If the property is paid off, your name on the Deed of Trust is a moot point.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:22 PM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisby View Post
What about the bank saying that I go down to the county clerk office to fill out a Warranty Deed for the house form in order to get my name off? Will this work, or will it just be a waste of time and gas? Really hope that refinancing isn't the only option.

Anyways I really appreciate the advice and help from you guys. Thanks a lot.

That might be the worst thing to do. You'd be giving away any interest in the property for nothing and still be liable for the mortgage, plus a warranty deed guarantees clear title, which you do not have.

The only way to get your name off is to have your girl friend refi the loan in her name. You cannot unilaterally relieve yourself of the debt. Otherwise, you will remain liable for the mortgage should she default.

You need to see a real estate attorney and discuss your rights and liabilities, and be sure to have copies of any documents you signed as those should answer all of your questions.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:38 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Me and my girlfriend bought a house together. Her name is on the Mortgage and Deed only. But my both our names are on the Deed of Trust. Now that we broke up, and I moved out of the house. She is going to keep it. But how do I remove my name off the Deed of Trust.

I went down to the county clerk office and they told me they couldn't do anything and that they only hold the records and said I needed to see a bank. So we went to the bank and they informed us that we may need to refinance the house and then told us to go to the title company. Which then told us that we need a lawyer. Basically getting nowhere and this is so frustrating. I just need my name removed from the Deed of Trust. What's the most easiest and quickest way to do this? We also went to the bank again and they told us to go back to the county clerk office and ask to fill out a Warranty Deed for a home form, sign it and have it them notarize it right there. But I'm not even sure if this will work as I would hate to drive all the way down there again for them to tell me they can't do anything. Sigh.

If anyone has any information or could point me in the right direction. I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.
The question is are you on the NOTE? i.e. Were your credit, income and assets used in qualifying for the loan? If the answer is 'yes', then your only option is a full blown refinance and your GF would have to qualify for the new loan on her own.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Cheaper than a lawyer

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...SABEgKrzfD_BwE

Old 09-11-2018, 04:42 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
But it's not the Deed though, its the Deed of Trust. My name isn't on the Deed, only hers.
Sorry, but the only one who can take your name off the deed of trust is the lender and that won't happen until the loan is paid off.

If you quitclaim your ownership interest you are still obligated on the deed of trust.

Never get into financial deals with girlfriends.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:06 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Folks, this newbie poster bumped a four year old thread, and has her answer already:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debylk View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages