Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,133 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I applied for a mortgage with my wife last week and received a "fees worksheet" back. The mortgage guy said we were pre-approved for 200k FHA loan but it's not the maximum amount. We were told that we need to figure out what monthly payment we were comfortable with, then we could determine a price point. We were told that the interest rate is not set in stone. Also was told that we can only lock your interest rate in once you have a contract on a home with a defined sales price and closing date. Is this correct? If so, what is the point of the fees worksheet and the hard inquiry on our credit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS I attached the fees worksheet we received. Any input on that would be be helpful. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
First Time Buyer, Questions-fees2.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 07:59 PM

71 posts, read 219,758 times
You need to sign a contract to lock in your rate.

It does seem a bit odd they wouldnt tell you your max preapproval. Are you looking to borrow more than 200k?

I do agree with your lender. You should determine how much you can afford to pay per month, and make sure to include property taxes and insurance in that ammount. That will let you know about how much you can afford.

The fees worksheet and the credit inquiry is to get your preapproval and give you a rough idea what everything costs. That way get an idea where you stand, and once you buy a house they can give you the good faith estimate and lock in your rate

Did

Old 06-24-2014, 08:07 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,891 times
I think your lender is being honest with you. The "Fees Worksheet" is just an estimate to let you know what the costs will be and how much cash you will need. With regard to the maximum purchase amount, the loan officer is likely looking at your DTI and thinking that this amount would meet their guidelines for approval. He is probably leaving a "fudge factor" in case you see a house that is a little higher priced. Keep in mind there could be changes in interest rates, fees (depending on the loan program), PMI, etc. that could affect your payment.

In order to give you an accurate GFE, he will have to know the exact terms of your agreement (contract). Locking interest rates before you even know how much you are borrowing is unrealistic. Also most banks will not lock interest rates for extended periods of time (20+ days) without additional charges.

Of course, you are welcome to shop around with other lenders to see if you can get a better deal. Unless your credit scores are marginal I would not be concerned about the credit inquiries.

I would be more worried about a loan officer that is pushing you to borrow more than you are comfortable with than one who is being conservative.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam69rs View Post
Hello,
I applied for a mortgage with my wife last week and received a "fees worksheet" back. The mortgage guy said we were pre-approved for 200k FHA loan but it's not the maximum amount. We were told that we need to figure out what monthly payment we were comfortable with, then we could determine a price point. We were told that the interest rate is not set in stone. Also was told that we can only lock your interest rate in once you have a contract on a home with a defined sales price and closing date. Is this correct? If so, what is the point of the fees worksheet and the hard inquiry on our credit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS I attached the fees worksheet we received. Any input on that would be be helpful. Thanks!
Everything they said is true, and the taxes and insurance even look accurate. The credit pull is the first step in pre-qualification. That, and examination of your income, result in pre-approval, which is required to go to contract, which then opens up the door to specific fees calculation and a Rate Lock.

P.S.: Wow, their website SUCKS. 8-/

Old 06-25-2014, 08:50 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
May I suggest that you look for another broker who will help you understand this stuff properly? It's complicated and important stuff. It's the biggest investment and biggest debt you're likely to incur in your lifetime.

First time buyers need to find a realtor and a mortgage broker who will hold their hand through the process. Don't hesitate to ask for that help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages