Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:24 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,853,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Your information applies to regular mortgage loans NOT FHA.

If I wanted to give my borrower a free loan.....no fees...no YSP...no attorney fees....no escrows...no appraisal...and the rate is at 6%

The APR will still be 6.506%. (200,000 loan amount)

The ONLY 2 things I included in the APR is the monthly MIP...and the upfront MIP.

I have seen MANY FHA lenders do it your way..and it's wrong!

It's downright DECEIVING!

Edit* It's also against Federal Law TILA
For the record, I was not giving the OP any actual numbers, just random ones so he would know the difference between the note rate and APR. I appreciate that you are trying to get the correct information across, but you seem very argumentative and it also seems like you try to discredit many who try to help here (what I can tell from my short time here). So allow me to point out some of your shortcomings.

As you know, YSP is not an APR fee. Neither are the escrow reserves (with the exception of pre-paid interest) or the appraisal. Also, I ran the same scenario with just the up-front MIP and I got an APR of 6.139%. So how does the monthly MI bump that APR up by almost 40 basis points?

The fact is that I gave the OP good advice, regardless of the fact that my numbers may have been a bit skewed. I didn't think it was necessary to auto-generate an APR from Encompass or sit down and do the calculations by hand to be helpful. Please don't insinuate that I am operating illegally or purposefully deceiving my clients. There is absolutely no reason for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 12:52 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,599,712 times
hmmmmmm

I know about the 'shortcomings' lol...was just making a point.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:21 PM

"If the APR is 6.07% then the fees are minimal, and if the APR is 6.883% then the fees are exorbitant"
"Also, I ran the same scenario with just the up-front MIP and I got an APR of 6.139%"

How are the fees 'minimal' if you know right off the bat the APR will be a MINIMUM of 6.139%?

I only became 'passionate' with this thread as I dont like someone praising themselves (5.625%), and saying someone is making MAX YSP on their loan.

I wonder if the OP saw my response before he went to go yell at his loan officer for 'ripping him off' since he/she is making 'max ysp'.

"6.5% is probably the note rate and not the APR."
That's just wrong to tell any borrower this...especially when you dont know the whole loan scenario. If I didnt know any better...and I read this response from my question...I would be strangling my loan officer right now.

Many people come on this forum asking questions....but as a professional it is my job to 'probe' to see what's going on...
I have seen many ppl who make these statements to try to get the borrower to bring their business over.

I did exaggerate on the APR but you already knew that, but I wanted you to see for yourself that there's no way the APR can be at 6.07% with a rate of 6%. OP asked about fha loans...and not super jumbo products or any other type of product. Why give someone information on a topic that is totally irrevelant to what he/she is asking?

I just hope that the loan officer didn't get strangled.....

Old 02-12-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
"If the APR is 6.07% then the fees are minimal, and if the APR is 6.883% then the fees are exorbitant"
"Also, I ran the same scenario with just the up-front MIP and I got an APR of 6.139%"

How are the fees 'minimal' if you know right off the bat the APR will be a MINIMUM of 6.139%?

I only became 'passionate' with this thread as I dont like someone praising themselves (5.625%), and saying someone is making MAX YSP on their loan.

I wonder if the OP saw my response before he went to go yell at his loan officer for 'ripping him off' since he/she is making 'max ysp'.

"6.5% is probably the note rate and not the APR."
That's just wrong to tell any borrower this...especially when you dont know the whole loan scenario. If I didnt know any better...and I read this response from my question...I would be strangling my loan officer right now.

Many people come on this forum asking questions....but as a professional it is my job to 'probe' to see what's going on...
I have seen many ppl who make these statements to try to get the borrower to bring their business over.

I did exaggerate on the APR but you already knew that, but I wanted you to see for yourself that there's no way the APR can be at 6.07% with a rate of 6%. OP asked about fha loans...and not super jumbo products or any other type of product. Why give someone information on a topic that is totally irrevelant to what he/she is asking?

I just hope that the loan officer didn't get strangled.....
How is this, I should have been more specific and accurate when quoting APR numbers to him. I am certainly not trying to steal business. Perhaps I should not have quoted a rate to him, particularly pertaining to the deal I am working on now. I can see how you would make that assumption though. I truly did not mean to come off like that. I was just trying to convey that FHA pricing is much better than that. I priced it out myself yesterday, 6.5% is max YSP. As I said before, YSP is not an APR fee. I also was talking to him specifically about his FHA deal, no other program. Please understand, I was not trying to mislead, I was just giving a (rather poor, evidently) example of the difference of note rate and APR. I do, however, see your point in that if the rate is 6% and the APR is around 6.5% then there are no exorbitant fees. I will try to be more thorough and specific from here on out. As for you and I, I would say that we started off on the wrong foot. I hope we can move forward amicably.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:36 PM

it's ok....by the way are you licensed in IL?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
it's ok....by the way are you licensed in IL?
No I am not, but I know a couple of brokers out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages