Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 11:47 AM

4 posts, read 2,835 times

Advertisements

I am about to come into a large amount of cash due to an accident. I want to use part of it to buy a home. I have bad credit, which I plan on taking care of before I buy the house, but I know it will show. I also won't have an income since I won't be able to work. I keep hearing that I should still apply for a loan, since I can get great deals. I feel I should pay for the house up front. I'm not sure I would qualify for a loan with my situation. Can anyone give me advise on what I should be looking into doing? Thank you.

Last edited by Bubsmama; 06-19-2016 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 11:59 AM

347 posts, read 427,037 times
I'm sure that other more experienced people will comment, but will you have some other source of income? SSDI? Social Security?

Without a verifiable income, I don't imagine any lender would loan you money no matter your credit score. Could you buy a house in cash instead?

Old 06-19-2016, 12:36 PM

For a time I will be out of work, but will go back, to a part time education position. I will be able to buy the house with cash, which I think is my best option. I want to make sure if I buy cash it's the best option out there for me. At this point I think it is. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything, or if when buying cash if there is something I need to make sure is taken care of so I don't have any surprises down the road.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:00 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,271,606 times
I think cash is your best option and probably your only one. I've never heard of any lender that will give a mortgage to someone with poor credit and is currently not working. Regardless, you do what you need to in order to get the house if you want it. On the positive side, you won't have that nagging monthly mortgage payment, just insurance and taxes. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:08 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,772 times
No job, bad credit, mortgage standards in 2016...

Yeah, you'd better be looking at cash-only purchases.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:02 PM

That's what I pretty much figured. Thank you all for your advise.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:07 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,343,862 times
Definitely pay cash. I have great credit and I still usually buy with cash. In a buyer's market its great leverage for negotiating a better price. In a seller's market its a great advantage if competing in a muti-offer situation.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:34 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,403,094 times
You could pay cash and refinance the house later on when your credit is better and you're working...but why have a mortgage over your head unless you have definitive investment plans which will yield more than the interest you'd be paying on the mortgage?

Just because you'll be coming into some cash, don't go overboard on the house you buy. Higher property taxes and higher maintenance costs can quickly eat into any windfall you might receive.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:30 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsmama View Post
I am about to come into a large amount of cash due to an accident. I want to use part of it to buy a home. I have bad credit, which I plan on taking care of before I buy the house, but I know it will show. I also won't have an income since I won't be able to work. I keep hearing that I should still apply for a loan, since I can get great deals. I feel I should pay for the house up front. I'm not sure I would qualify for a loan with my situation. Can anyone give me advise on what I should be looking into doing? Thank you.
As long as it's only part of the money go for it. It's cheaper to buy it in cash, less closing costs, you should still get an inspection and an appraisal if you are not sure the home is worth what they are asking.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:27 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,594 times
There are factors here no one has seemed to discuss. Buying a house is just one part. The upkeep and additional costs can be substantial if you are unable to do basic fixes yourself. So whatever you plan on buying in cash I hope you are leaving yourself a lot of money left over to pay for all the other things that come along with owning a home since you mentioned possibly not having an additional income. If that is the case you should have at minimum 5 years worth of expenses cash. If you got $500k don't buy a $500k house. I wouldn't even buy a $400k house to be honest with you. $350k max, just as an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages