Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 10:11 AM

530 posts, read 359,006 times

Advertisements

Hi All:
Currently I am on a 30 year fixed at 4% mortgage on my house. I am very tempted to refinance my place place to take advantage of the amazingly low rates going on right now. The problem is, I quit my full time job in December 2015 and started my own consulting firm in Jan 2016. I have a steady income with my projects and all, but when I approach a couple of banks for refinancing they say I do not qualify since my company is only 6 months old. Is there a way out or am I SOL? Thanks for the read and your time.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 07:04 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Any equity in the property?

The easiest "fix" is a non occupant coborrower. However, that means mom, dad, whoever, would need to be added to title and could slightly increase recording charges. It would have to be someone you trust, obviously. Only you can determine if the hassle is a benefit.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:20 AM

174 posts, read 170,273 times
I had the same issue a few years back. Until I had 2 years under my belt (and 2 years of tax returns), I couldn't get anything. Up until that point I had great work history, credit, etc... When I bought out my car's lease & had to refinance the remaining amount, my boyfriend (now my husband) had to co-sign for me--felt like a teenager. Try talking to some more lenders--maybe a broker rather than a bank. No guarantees, but in my business (real estate) I know that not all lenders are created equal, so if it were me I would do a little more looking before giving up.

Good luck!

Old 07-11-2016, 11:37 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
First, 4% is a great rate. I have a closing on Friday where the buyer is getting 4.5%. No reason to refinance your 4% rate.

Second, no one is going to refinance you with a brand new company. You can't show any history of income and expenses. How do they know the company won't fold in 2 months and then you have no money? With 2 years of history, they feel more comfortable. There are loans where you can do a no asset loan where they don't care about your income, but you're not going to get anywhere near 4% as you're too much of a risk not letting them know any of your information.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:03 AM

530 posts, read 359,006 times
Thanks all! Just as an FYI- if you are in the same situation as me and looking to refinance then check your local banks if they do Porfolio Mortgage. It basically means the bank finances your mortgage and does not sell it. These kind are pretty flexible. Thanks to fellow member MikePRU for suggesting it to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages