Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:42 AM

220 posts, read 1,028,489 times

Advertisements

My loan papers say there "MAY" be a penalty if I pay off the loan early. This seems rather gray to me since it does not state if there will be a penalty or how much? What is the usual penalty? Do lenders allow you to change this to "WILL NOT" easily? I have not signed the final loan papers yet and want to know if I should be concerned out this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 08:46 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,431,256 times
You need clarification. Different loan programs exist, some HAVE prepayment penalties, some do not. In "legal speak" the use of the term 'may' generally means THERE ARE GONNA BE PENALTIES. The lender must disclose what those are! If they eventually go away the lender should spell out EXACTLY when...

Old 05-29-2009, 02:11 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,685,739 times
If you are going a traditional fixed rate program then you should have no prepayment penalty whatsover. It might be something as simple as a computer error. Some of the mortgage software programs default certain things and I know on two of them they automatically assume every loan will have a prepay. That's what happens when people design software for an industry they know nothing about lol.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:26 AM

180 posts, read 694,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
If you are going a traditional fixed rate program then you should have no prepayment penalty whatsover. It might be something as simple as a computer error. Some of the mortgage software programs default certain things and I know on two of them they automatically assume every loan will have a prepay. That's what happens when people design software for an industry they know nothing about lol.
or it was designed circa 2004 when prepays were common.

Kath is right that if it's a regular fixed rate loan, there shouldn't be a prepay. However, everytime I've seen it say 'may', it means that there is one.

Clarify with your loan officer, this is a big deal.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:42 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,850,713 times
This may not be as big of an issue as it seems to be. If it is an FHA loan, there MAY be a prepayment penalty in that FHA requires a full month's worth of interest at payoff. What that means is that if you were to refinance and your closing was in the middle of the month, you would be charged interest for the whole month on your payoff per FHA guidelines as opposed to the per diem interest that would be included in the payoff of a conventional loan.

TIL's on FHA loans should always say that there MAY be a prepayment penalty.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:59 AM

180 posts, read 694,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
This may not be as big of an issue as it seems to be. If it is an FHA loan, there MAY be a prepayment penalty in that FHA requires a full month's worth of interest at payoff. What that means is that if you were to refinance and your closing was in the middle of the month, you would be charged interest for the whole month on your payoff per FHA guidelines as opposed to the per diem interest that would be included in the payoff of a conventional loan.

TIL's on FHA loans should always say that there MAY be a prepayment penalty.
didn't know that...thanks for the info.

I, literally, just got my Hud approval back this week so I'm still learning the ins and outs of FHA.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewSoss View Post
didn't know that...thanks for the info.

I, literally, just got my Hud approval back this week so I'm still learning the ins and outs of FHA.
Make sure you read the mortgagee letters. There was one sent out very recently that may interest you a great deal.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:24 PM

220 posts, read 1,028,489 times
This is a conventional non-FHA loan. I'll have to make sure they spell out what the penalty is if there is one. A partial month is not so bad, but I'd hate to get hit with a 5% penalty or something.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_1000 View Post
This is a conventional non-FHA loan. I'll have to make sure they spell out what the penalty is if there is one. A partial month is not so bad, but I'd hate to get hit with a 5% penalty or something.
If this is a conventional conforming mortgage then the MAY box should definitely not be checked. Perhaps it is an auto fill type error as was mentioned above. Follow the other advice and speak with your LO immediately. If it was an honest mistake make sure you sign and receive a new and accurate TIL. Get it on paper.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:27 PM

11 posts, read 16,865 times
It may also mean that you have a soft pre-payment penalty.
When everyone was refinancing in 04 and 05 - banks used this type of penalty to discourage the practice. With a soft prepay you can sell your house without a penalty but not refinance. So in your case-the "may" might depend on whether you are selling or refinancing
Here is some more info on prepays
Soft Prepayment Penalty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages