Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 06:34 AM

75 posts, read 47,586 times

Advertisements

I've been reading about new modular home kits and the like, that many companies build them nowadays to withstand the storms of Florida. But I'm wondering if there are existing modular home parks in Florida or any on the trucks? Thanks from Tampa Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 08:31 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,778,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaHale View Post
I've been reading about new modular home kits and the like, that many companies build them nowadays to withstand the storms of Florida. But I'm wondering if there are existing modular home parks in Florida or any on the trucks? Thanks from Tampa Bay.
What's on the trucks?

Never buy a new modular or manufactured home on a park where you pay lot rent. It will make your home worthless. They can increase rents or sell the land off and after 12 years that you are still paying for the mortgage plus lot rent it may be too old to move to a new park, and you will have trouble selling it because you will owe more than it's worth. The only other option is to find a park where you own the land and pay a small HOA fee. Otherwise it's cheaper to buy a lot and put the modular home on it. Plus if it's your lot you don't have to follow any association rules.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:53 AM

What's on the trucks would be the "kit." All I know is some kits or modules are built in a warehouse and then transported disassembled, and then assembled on the lot in a day or two. This is as opposed to "on-site" building, which could take weeks or months, exposing the progress to weather, etc. I read that trailers have a bad rap for weather, but some modern modular or manufactured homes are better-built and up to better codes.

I did a little research; there does seem to be a difference between modular/manufactured, mobile home, trailer, tho I read somewhere the terms are used interchangeably.

Yes, you would have to have a lot for your manufactured home, and that's why I was wondering if there were any parks as you describe with the above-described better-built manufactured homes. In some cities, if a person owns a lot, the city code might not allow a "mobile home" to live on that lot. I guess it would depend on how the city classifies those homes.

Thank you for your reply.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
What's on the trucks would be the "kit." All I know is some kits or modules are built in a warehouse and then transported disassembled, and then assembled on the lot in a day or two. This is as opposed to "on-site" building, which could take weeks or months, exposing the progress to weather, etc. I read that trailers have a bad rap for weather, but some modern modular or manufactured homes are better-built and up to better codes.

I did a little research; there does seem to be a difference between modular/manufactured, mobile home, trailer, tho I read somewhere the terms are used interchangeably.

Yes, you would have to have a lot for your manufactured home, and that's why I was wondering if there were any parks as you describe with the above-described better-built manufactured homes. In some cities, if a person owns a lot, the city code might not allow a "mobile home" to live on that lot. I guess it would depend on how the city classifies those homes.

Thank you for your reply.
I could see this being allowed on your own land. If it's assembled there it's a modular home which is better built than a manufactured home which is a mobile home. I can't imagine a park allowing you to build it on site even if you own the lot if it's part of a community.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:20 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,130,830 times
You cannot move a modular home once it is built. A real foundation is created just like for a stick built home. Then the modules are installed...permanently. So, you will need to own the land. Sometimes a big tract is subdivided for new homes to be built and sometimes you are allowed to build either a modular home or a stick built one. Other times it is only stick built.

As for manufactured homes (also called mobile homes or trailers in the past), you bring up an interesting point. I have seen no new mobile home parks in my part of NC in the past 20 or so years. And almost no one brings a new manufactured home to an existing mobile home park, nor do people ever "move" their used mobile homes, unless they abandon them due to bankruptcy or something.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:24 AM

Good to know, thanks. If a trailer is abandoned and worthless, sooner or later the thing has to be removed but the lot is still wide open to suggestions.... I can imagine sitting in on one of those park meetings.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:23 AM

6,831 posts, read 11,563,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
As for manufactured homes (also called mobile homes or trailers in the past), you bring up an interesting point. I have seen no new mobile home parks in my part of NC in the past 20 or so years. And almost no one brings a new manufactured home to an existing mobile home park, nor do people ever "move" their used mobile homes, unless they abandon them due to bankruptcy or something.
There’s a park I often drive past where they have moved out an entire section of the oldest, crappy looking mobile homes and replaced them with nice looking double wides. It really improved the appearance, since they were in the very front of the park.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
There’s a park I often drive past where they have moved out an entire section of the oldest, crappy looking mobile homes and replaced them with nice looking double wides. It really improved the appearance, since they were in the very front of the park.
Who is "they"? Sounds like the park owns the new nice ones, and then are going to sell or rent them? I thought each trailer was privately owned. Or maybe the park only allowed nice new ones in and the new guy's rig had to be screened first or something.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Who is "they"? Sounds like the park owns the new nice ones, and then are going to sell or rent them? I thought each trailer was privately owned. Or maybe the park only allowed nice new ones in and the new guy's rig had to be screened first or something.
Some parks have a few new ones that they put up for sale. I guess the builder sets them there hoping they will sell. I doubt they sell easily, a 3/2 doublewide will cost about $60k. Since it's on a rented lot you can't get a regular mortgage since it will depreciate so much in 30 years plus on top of that the park will charge you $700 or more for lot rent.

If they do buy 10 years later they think the home is worth $50K because that's what they owe, but with the lost rents so high and going up each year it's better for them to pay a little more and buy a new one from the park owners, who will usually offer some incentive like a month or two free lot rent. Plus if you want to buy the used $50K one you would need to come up with cash and if you have the cash you are better off buying a small home or condo and using the money for a down payment.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:21 PM

6,831 posts, read 11,563,293 times
Quote:
Don’t know any of the details, I just drive past there a lot and noticed it looks a lot better now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages