Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 01:03 PM

8 posts, read 6,065 times

Advertisements

I am trying to complete the required application to assume a VA mortgage loan from my parents. The loan assumption department for the mortgage company finally emailed me the paperwork to complete the assumption application. It took over a month to get this emailed. There is a phone number for the assumption department, but no one ever answers the phone or responds to voicemails. Since I am not experienced in real estate, I have dozens of questions about filling out the application and no agent or customer service representatives I can turn to. Does anyone have a suggestion of where I could turn to for help? Should I look into hiring an agent just to help me with this application (if that's even a thing)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 03:46 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmcreech View Post
I am trying to complete the required application to assume a VA mortgage loan from my parents. The loan assumption department for the mortgage company finally emailed me the paperwork to complete the assumption application. It took over a month to get this emailed. There is a phone number for the assumption department, but no one ever answers the phone or responds to voicemails. Since I am not experienced in real estate, I have dozens of questions about filling out the application and no agent or customer service representatives I can turn to. Does anyone have a suggestion of where I could turn to for help? Should I look into hiring an agent just to help me with this application (if that's even a thing)?
Find out what bank there loan is thru. the VA is not a direct lender, you need approval to assume the loan as far as I know. if it was before March 1 1988.
https://www.valoans.com/articles/va-loan-assumability/

If it's a bank that's local go there and talk to their mortgage department, if not call the headquarters and find out why no one answers and if you can email them questions.

You can call a local real estate office and ask if they offer such a service or know someone who does.

Does the VA itself have a number you can call?

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 05-29-2018 at 03:58 PM..

Old 05-29-2018, 03:55 PM

I know who the lender is. I have their assumption application. I just have no one to help me with it, and lots of questions.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I know who the lender is. I have their assumption application. I just have no one to help me with it, and lots of questions.
You can ask questions here. https://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...professionals/ You might get answers form regular posters, but if they are in real estate it will say so by their name.

You might be better off going to a real estate office an offering them $100 bucks if it doesn't take 5 hours or too long. Especially if it's compliacated with legaleeze.

Maybe go to a local VA center and ask if they offer help too. Tell them you are trying to help your parents,

Old 05-29-2018, 04:08 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
What state are you in?

I would suggest a real estate attorney or a title company.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:16 PM

I'm in NC

Old 05-29-2018, 06:25 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
I'm in NC
Get a local real estate attorney who specializes in closings.
It won't be expensive.

Get it right and get all your questions answered.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:04 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
More questions....do you know the month and year of the mortgage, when your dad got the loan? Are you also a veteran? Will you be substituting VA entitlement? Rules on assumptions changed thru the years. The date your dad's case # was opened determines which assumption process is followed. The case number is typically assigned 30-45 days prior to loan closing. Almost all current assumptions require the buyer to qualify. But without more info, it's hard to say, we can only guess.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:

If for any reason you can't do an assumption have you thought of any alternate solutions. Perhaps you can be added as an owner and you pay the mortgage off monthly? This would be of course if there is not a reason your parents have to take the house out of there name such as nursing home care needs that can affect their ownership.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
More questions....do you know the month and year of the mortgage, when your dad got the loan? Are you also a veteran? Will you be substituting VA entitlement? Rules on assumptions changed thru the years. The date your dad's case # was opened determines which assumption process is followed. The case number is typically assigned 30-45 days prior to loan closing. Almost all current assumptions require the buyer to qualify. But without more info, it's hard to say, we can only guess.

The loan is pretty new, December 2016. No, I am not a vet. The assumption package sent to me does indicate that I have to qualify, which I guess I'll be applying to do through the application package. I would love to ask all of these questions of the mortgage company's assumptions department, but no one returns my messages. I have so many questions about the application. I am not a mortgage broker, so it's like a foreign language to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages