Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 10:53 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,327,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
My late Mom had a reverse mortgage. Hubby and I begged her not to do it.
I would never recommend a reverse mortgage to anyone.
Why? Give us your take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 06:46 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Why? Give us your take.

Yes, you still technically own your home, but there are all kinds of rules regarding residency, which can be problematic if the homeowner needs to be in a nursing home, etc.

Once you have a reverse mortgage than the mortgage company makes the rules. It was not a positive experience.

Interest rates are absurd. When the house is eventually sold the bulk of the sale will go to the reverse mortgage company

Old 07-11-2019, 08:11 PM

If the homeowner went to a nursing home, wouldn't they just sell their home?

Old 07-12-2019, 12:48 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,319,394 times
Quote:
Yes, you still technically own your home, but there are all kinds of rules regarding residency, which can be problematic if the homeowner needs to be in a nursing home, etc.

Mortgage servicers don't send people knocking on doors. How did this become known?

Once you have a reverse mortgage than the mortgage company makes the rules. It was not a positive experience.

Interest rates are absurd. When the house is eventually sold the bulk of the sale will go to the reverse mortgage company Well, yes, mortgage balances are usually paid somehow, via sale or refinance by heirs, when the owners pass away, unless there are no heirs and nobody liable. Was there an option to keep the property with a regular mortgage, and what would have resulted, stress-wise, if that route had been taken?
First I'm sorry for your situation. I am experiencing it with my parents and they are stubbornly demanding to remain in their two-story home, although my dad has fallen down 25 times in the past couple years. At least the times that they tell me about. The addition of a quasi-exotic mortgage to the intense stress of Parent Care had to be tough.

It sounds like you chose a Variable-Rate option, or your experience was prior to 2015. There are Fixed-Rate Reverse Mortgages now and that is what I recommend.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
First I'm sorry for your situation. I am experiencing it with my parents and they are stubbornly demanding to remain in their two-story home, although my dad has fallen down 25 times in the past couple years. At least the times that they tell me about. The addition of a quasi-exotic mortgage to the intense stress of Parent Care had to be tough.

It sounds like you chose a Variable-Rate option, or your experience was prior to 2015. There are Fixed-Rate Reverse Mortgages now and that is what I recommend.
Isn't true that with a fixed rate HECM the borrower will get less cash out?

Old 07-13-2019, 09:09 AM

276 posts, read 230,960 times
IMHO: when considering a reverse mortgage, deciding to go with a Fixed Rate or an ARM depends on the situation and need of the borrower.

The only way to have a credit line is to take an arm. So if you dont need all available proceeds right away you shouldn't take them. leave the equity in the home. you dont get charged interest on an unused credit line and the unused credit line has guaranteed growth for the life of the loan. More money available if/when you actually need it. The ARM also gives you the option of turning on or off a Tenure/Term payment at any time. Today's Annual ARM's are capped at 5% above the start rate and can not adjust more than 2%/year. The unused credit line grows by the note rate + ongoing MIP.

Fixed Rate HECM's are closed end loans. no credit lines, just lump sum payouts at close. You are also limited to 60% of what you qualify for (unless you need the additional 40% to pay off a mandatory obligation, like a mortgage). unless you need all available proceeds right away, IMO a fixed rate reverse mortgage makes little sense. Why cash out equity in your home to put into a bank or a risky investment, when you can preserve the equity and get guaranteed compound growth of 4-5%+ on the available credit line?

in today's marketplace the ARM's are also more attractive to investors, so loan officers/banks usually make more money on them. sometimes a LOT more. savvy consumers can leverage this into paying zero origination fees and/or receiving large credits towards closing costs.

Last edited by anicon; 07-13-2019 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: content, spelling

Old 07-13-2019, 09:53 AM

276 posts, read 230,960 times
Quote:
the home must continue to be the primary residence of at least one borrower or Eligible Non Borrowing Spouse. otherwise, the mortgage comes due. you need to live in the home a minimum of 6 months and 1 day out of the year for it to be considered your primary. The servicing company sends annual occupancy letters that need to be returned.

You bring up a very good point about nursing homes. If there is an eligible non borrowing spouse on the loan (meaning they are able to defer the mortgage payoff and stay in the home for life if the borrower passes away) they do not have this option to defer if the borrower moves into assisted living. Only if the borrower passes away.

Quote:
Everyone should read their loan documents. Carefully, before signing them. Responsibilities of the borrowers and triggering events that cause the loan to come due are all spelled out. The home must continue to be your primary residence, you need to pay your taxes and insurance, you need to maintain the property.

Quote:
Interest rates are absurd. When the house is eventually sold the bulk of the sale will go to the reverse mortgage company
interest rates vary based on market conditions and are negotiable at time of origination. I see ARM's margins today from 1% to 3% and Fixed Rates from the low 4's to 5%.

the home does not need to be sold at the end. Borrowers or the estate can refinance or pay off the mortgage and keep the home. sometimes for less than the mortgage balance if the home is upside down. You also only pay off what you owe, so if there is equity in the property when the home is sold it goes to the estate.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:49 PM

679 posts, read 811,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffandme View Post

Based on the numbers I found, my small soc sec ($720) is not adequate.

Question: Could I qualify without stbx if I request a set aside? I planned to do that anyway for taxes and insurance.

That way, he could be cashed out, title would be in my name, and it would be done and over.

Thank you.
You need to find a LOCAL reverse mortgage expert you like and trust. They can give you the expert level answers you seek. In general, you can request a LESA, life expectancy set aside, if you have sufficient equity and that could help you pass the financial assessment. Reducing other debt and obligations could help you qualify, but again, your situation is such that you really need to get in front a local expert in your area so you can get the help you need. Good luck with your loan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages