Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 05:35 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times

Advertisements

Seems I looked this up once and the answer was no, unless you rent a property yourself and have directly collected rent from them.

In my case I have a roommate (s) but I don't collect rent, we just pay the landlord.

Having 1 or 2 tenants willing to sign a lease would not help me secure a mortgage, correct?

My situation is single, very good credit, $5-10k down, lower $30's income. We each pay $550 rent now and if I could buy a house I'd be much better off. I'm living with roommates either way, ought to have them paying my mortgage if I could get into one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 05:45 PM

I know my income is killing me as far as a mortgage, but I'm single and don't know how I can double it or even more. It seems like unless I get married or double my income there is no possible way for me to get a mortgage.

In the Phoenix east valley area where anything halfway decent starts at about $225,000.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:20 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I know my income is killing me as far as a mortgage, but I'm single and don't know how I can double it or even more. It seems like unless I get married or double my income there is no possible way for me to get a mortgage.

In the Phoenix east valley area where anything halfway decent starts at about $225,000.
Unfortunately, you are correct.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:49 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
You would have to show a steady stream of rental income from a rental property that you own, not some finagling you do with roommates.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:54 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,554,854 times
Underwriters take into consideration rental income only if it is reported in your tax return for the previous 2 yrs. Just like you can't use expected rental income to buy a rental property.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:11 PM

That's what I thought.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:39 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
https://www.fanniemae.com/content/gu...g/b5/6/03.html

OP, look at the link above, look at boarder income. Please find a loan officer. Ask about HomeReady. I admit I did not read your roommate details. My point: posters not in the business need to be very careful about providing advice when the playing field is constantly changing.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:49 AM

357 posts, read 248,065 times
Sounds like you are not in a position to buy.

You are not a landlord right now, and if you were, they want two years of financial statements to prove that property can pay for itself without money coming out of your pocket that would jeopardize the new property’s loan repayment.

If you want to buy you would have to have them also on the mortgage. That’s for the long term, not a year or two to help pay bills. This isn’t the same as having a guarantor on your lease in college or getting some roommates to rent with.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:55 AM

357 posts, read 248,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post

OP, look at the link above, look at boarder income. Please find a loan officer. Ask about HomeReady. I admit I did not read your roommate details. My point: posters not in the business need to be very careful about providing advice when the playing field is constantly changing.
I don’t understand how that works. They are all renting from someone else. If the OP wants to purchase, they ALL have to move in with the OP and all possibly break the lease depending on timing. What if they don’t want to move? What if they do this and decide to leave? There is so much risk for the lender in this. And I’m guessing they are in a similar financial position as the OP if they are all living together in order to afford rent, so even with three of them, it may not be possible to get a loan at all.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:52 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post

Let us know when having roommates qualifies for a mortgage. While you are saying posters should be more qualified to give an answer. You might want to actually read the op’s post.
The op does not own any property. They are splitting rent with roommates and wanting to count the rent from the roommates as income to themselves to qualify for a loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages