Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2019, 07:36 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,318,493 times

Advertisements

USDA only lends on new manufactured homes.

Learned that one the hard way today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 07:42 PM

289 posts, read 224,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post

Yep, generally only new manufactured homes on permanent foundations qualify for USDA loans but there are some exceptions. I thought you had been doing the mortgage lending gig for the past 20 years?

Old 10-08-2019, 09:15 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post

I think they also only lend in rural areas.

and unless the rules changed since 2017 they have to be 2006 or newer

https://www.rd.usda.gov/files/IA_hp_...ws-06-2017.pdf

Old 10-09-2019, 02:56 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
USDA has a lot of limitations and restrictions that don't make a whole lot of sense.

They want to loan money to rural people who are in the lower half of the income spectrum, but they won't allow any type of home-based farming activity that even looks like it MIGHT be commercial. They disqualify property with large barns or outbuildings. No egg or livestock business on the side, no large scale gardening or a farm stand. Nothing that might actually help make low income rural people more money. it makes no sense to me.

"Farm service buildings such as barns, silos, commercial greenhouses, or livestock facilities used primarily for the production of agricultural, farming or commercial enterprises are ineligible."

I find USDA to be more restrictive than helpful so far. Haven't had a client yet who didn't end up switching to an FHA instead.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:06 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,318,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post
Yep, generally only new manufactured homes on permanent foundations qualify for USDA loans but there are some exceptions. I thought you had been doing the mortgage lending gig for the past 20 years?
Ha Ha yes and in doing so I admit when I make mistakes and offer tips that might help others, as the Manufactured Home Buyer who needs a USDA loan often times has no other options. But good burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages