Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:48 AM

995 posts, read 3,928,913 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]Seller's attorney argues that the Seller cannot deliver good title (her paying off her mortgage is a title defect) and therefore, she is not in default under the contract, if she doesn't close.

Is this true?

[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 11:53 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
Well if the mortgage isn't paid off, then the title isn't clean. What does YOUR attorney say?

Old 04-24-2008, 11:59 AM

My attorney says I need to get a litigation attorney.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:08 PM

When I closed on a house years ago, the horrible attorney the builder used did not do his paperwork. He processed the papers in one lump sum with a whole bunch of other sales by the builder. When I went to sell my house, the title was not clean and I could not sell it until it was fixed. The builder was still listed on the title. Since this was just an error and the builder really did pay off the loan, I got the title cleared and was able to sell. I can only imagine what would have happened had he not paid off the mortgage.

If the title is clear when you close, but the mortgage doesn't get paid off, your seller would still be on the title...your title. I don't think she can close without paying it off. Really sounds like you are getting into a nightmare.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
If the title is clear when you close, but the mortgage doesn't get paid off, your seller would still be on the title...your title. I don't think she can close without paying it off. Really sounds like you are getting into a nightmare.
Well, it's actually much better than it sounds. At least the seller says she is willing to work out with me. I'm also glad that the seller hired her own attorney.

If not paying off mortgage is a title defect, then this gives a free pass to any seller who has mortgage to breach the contract. My attorney thinks it's a weak argument.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:21 PM

Well like I said on the other thread...you have your work cut out for you. I don't know why you want to hang on to this. Move on and live in peace.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
[SIZE=2]Seller's attorney argues that the Seller cannot deliver good title (her paying off her mortgage is a title defect) and therefore, she is not in default under the contract, if she doesn't close.

Is this true?

[/SIZE]
Well, here in AZ, the seller would be in breach of the contract and you would have legal recourse. Of course, as the saying goes, you can't get blood out of a turnip.

Actually, this would put the house into a short sale situation. How much of a deficeit is there? I hate to say this, but if it's not too much, perhaps all parties involved could make it work. Can realtors/attorneys lower their fees? Does the seller have some funds they can bring to closing? And can you contribute? If there's only a few thousand $$$, this will sometimes work.

If the deficeit is significant, then it's a short sale situation that would be subject to the lender agreeing to accept the shortfall on the mortgage balance. You'll be looking at another 30 to 60 days and a ton of paperwork (on the seller's side) to get it through.

Can your attorney at least advise you about whether or not the seller is in breach? If the seller can't close, I can't imagine that it's just a matter of, "Oh well". There should be some sort of compensation for your time and expenses. You went into this deal in good faith, and the seller should have been expected to do the same.

Last edited by Gretchen B; 04-24-2008 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: punc

Old 04-24-2008, 12:59 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,354 times
If the seller can not pay off the mortgage then it must sell via a short sale. The lender will not release the lien on the home until they are paid something. Try to negotiate a short with the lender. Did the seller just realize he/she didn't have enough to pay off the loan?

Old 04-24-2008, 01:14 PM

Read this posters other thread below and you will get the whole story. The seller already applied for mitigation. The buyer (the OP) wants to bring her to litigation because he thinks she does have the money. Now they are playing a cat and mouse game. There is more to the story below.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:42 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
In Oregon our contracts state that the seller is able to clear title in the purchase and sale agreement unless otherwise documented (we have a short sale addendum that gets attached for those situations). If nothing it attached the seller is making the representation that they can indeed provide a good clean title.

It is a defect in title, and I think it is weak because the seller TOLD the real estate agent that she COULD clear title. She made a representation about her ability to clear title and entered into a contract accordingly.

You must really like this house to be putting up with all of this nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages