Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 09:07 PM

226 posts, read 148,210 times

Advertisements

what percent of houses for sale are on apps like zillow and redfin?

WOndering if there is more out there than what I am seeing on the apps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 10:22 AM

679 posts, read 812,531 times
I don't know the percentage, but in my area, many RE Brokers don't publish their listing to Zillow. I've heard as much as 40% of the listing don't show up on Zillow.

Zillow has made statements that they intend to replace the MLS system and therefore are competition to local RE agents and Brokers. Trulia has been owned by Zillow for the last few years, so not much difference between the two in my opinion.

I believe Realtor.com gets its listing off the MLS data, so it might have more than Zillow.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:16 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
I don't know the percentage, but in my area, many RE Brokers don't publish their listing to Zillow. I've heard as much as 40% of the listing don't show up on Zillow.

Zillow has made statements that they intend to replace the MLS system and therefore are competition to local RE agents and Brokers. Trulia has been owned by Zillow for the last few years, so not much difference between the two in my opinion.

I believe Realtor.com gets its listing off the MLS data, so it might have more than Zillow.
Just my personal observation. Realtor.com listed properties that is "pending" whereas Zillow only updates the same properties after it closed escrow.

I am in SoCal so I believe most listing show up on Zillow/Redfin/Realtor as I suspect the listing agent wants to have many home-buyers to see the listing as possible. But I too was in a different city in another state and the MLS has its own website and do not share listing with Zillow. In that case, we go to the MLS website for info instead.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:30 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
In addition to realtor.com and trulia.com, I'd suggest you look for your local MLS online site. What that site is and what it includes will depend on your area.

If you want to find FSBO's you're going to have to dig more via a number of FSBO sites in addition to Zillow. Not all FSBOs are knowledgeable enough to know they can put a listing on Zillow.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:15 AM

512 posts, read 352,266 times
In my area, Realtor.com is very accurate, Zillow, Trulia, etc. are not. I get automatic emails from my agent when a house gets listed on the MLS that meets my criteria. I see the same on Realtor.com shortly thereafter. Realtor.com also lists contingent properties. The only homes I am missing on there would be FSBO.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:25 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Just my personal observation. Realtor.com listed properties that is "pending" whereas Zillow only updates the same properties after it closed escrow.

I am in SoCal so I believe most listing show up on Zillow/Redfin/Realtor as I suspect the listing agent wants to have many home-buyers to see the listing as possible. But I too was in a different city in another state and the MLS has its own website and do not share listing with Zillow. In that case, we go to the MLS website for info instead.
We're also in SoCal and for my searches, I haven't noticed much of a difference between Zillow and CRMLS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown202020 View Post
WOndering if there is more out there than what I am seeing on the apps.

I've bought pocket listings and even sold one of our own properties off-market, so there are some out there. Where we are, I believe those listings often go out on a few mailing lists, so you'd want to have an agent that's well-networked.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:28 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,213,408 times
In our area, Zillow has everything. Our agent sent us emails that hit our qualifications and I always had seen the house first on Zillow.

The main thing I don't like about Zillow is that it doesn't show Under Contract homes in our area (whereas Realtor app does). Zillow only shows when it's hit Pending status.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:26 AM

3 posts, read 1,803 times
Interesting thread.

My house is under contract. Zillow, Redfin, and Trulia have all reflected the status of my home through the short process of "going live" and "Pending offer"

Realtor never showed my home as being on the market let alone show the updated photos and 3D walkthrough.

------

I'm editing to add that we listed through Redfin so I would expect them to be very up to date on our home sale progress.

Last edited by RKDee; 09-03-2020 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 09-28-2020, 01:39 PM

275 posts, read 421,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
We're also in SoCal and for my searches, I haven't noticed much of a difference between Zillow and CRMLS.
I am here in Southern California too. I am not an agent and have only a few months of experience of just looking at listings. I do not know much.

I see many listings in the GEMLS and some in the AVMLS and I think there are others too but CRMLS, GEMLS and AVMLS are the major ones. For the Los Angeles area the CRMLS will have most I think. There are currently four condominiums in Santa Clarita and they are all listed in CRISNet, whatever that is. So depending on what you want, you might miss a lot if you only look in the CRMLS.

I assume that the major real estate sites get their data from the various MLSs. That is the purpose of a MLS, correct? I use Redfin and I do not see anything anywhere else that is not in Redfin except maybe mobile homes being sold within the park by the owner.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:16 PM

661 posts, read 833,927 times
Have an agent put you on a direct MLS auto email, forget Zillow and Redfin. Often You see the homes after they are sold if you depend on those 3rd party apps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages