Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 03:07 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,025,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

Honorable stops where $6000 starts.
I'd say honorable STARTS where $6000 starts. ANyone can be honorable for $0.

to the OP.

Pay off the loan.

Give the guy $3k cash in a plain brown envelope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 04:45 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,861,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post

to the OP.

Pay off the loan.

Hell, that's what I offered, and it turns out I'm Jesse James.

When I was in business, 1% of something was better than 100% of nothing.

Oh well, try to create a "win-win" for all, and get labelled, here.

Besides the OP got a 30yr @3%, so that's where they are with it.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:52 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post

to the OP.

Pay off the loan.

Fortunately, the OP has received much better advice than this and will assuredly ignore the above.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:49 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,361,909 times
We spoke with our LO. She said we have to make 6 payments, spaced one month apart starting when first is due. She said it was fine to make a $400K payment up front but just have to continue making payments at the minimum of the payment amount due. So that’s what we will do.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:08 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We spoke with our LO. She said we have to make 6 payments, spaced one month apart starting when first is due. She said it was fine to make a $400K payment up front but just have to continue making payments at the minimum of the payment amount due. So that’s what we will do.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:54 PM

383 posts, read 385,143 times
Quote:
A man of his word = integrity!
Good for you, WorldKlas. Win, win.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:16 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,586,702 times
Good job OP.

Why a commission has to be reimbursed by the lender and loan officer within six months is an arbitrary rule that needs to be changed.
Why not 60 or 90 days?
Why not give back 25 or 50-percent of the commission?

What other professional service has a penalty of 100% refund if the actual service is cancelled or repaid within six months? I can't think of any.

Realtors sell a home and that same home can be sold again within 10 days by the same realtor or same office, and again flipped to another person in 10-30 days.

Why should the realtor keep their full commissions?

Should the Title insurance or Settlement closing agent refund their fee too if they sell the same house 2 times in 6 months?

I understand these are upfront fees and not given back but lender paid comp rules need a better outcome for early payoffs or some loan officers will go the borrower paid route.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:22 PM

790 posts, read 505,480 times
I refinanced twice this year. Neither broker mentioned anything about having to return their commissions if loan was terminated before 6 months. I did call the first broker when rates fell 2 months after closing to see if he could help with another refinance and he said not yet, go to another broker if you want to refinance again now.

Old 09-21-2020, 06:12 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,929,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Good job OP.

Why a commission has to be reimbursed by the lender and loan officer within six months is an arbitrary rule that needs to be changed.
Why not 60 or 90 days?
Why not give back 25 or 50-percent of the commission?

What other professional service has a penalty of 100% refund if the actual service is cancelled or repaid within six months? I can't think of any.

Realtors sell a home and that same home can be sold again within 10 days by the same realtor or same office, and again flipped to another person in 10-30 days.

Why should the realtor keep their full commissions?

Should the Title insurance or Settlement closing agent refund their fee too if they sell the same house 2 times in 6 months?

I understand these are upfront fees and not given back but lender paid comp rules need a better outcome for early payoffs or some loan officers will go the borrower paid route.
The value of the loan, what everyone is selling is the servicing on the loan. Whoever is collecting payments makes monthly income off of collecting those payments. The loan officer is compensated assuming the loan will be on the books for a minimum period (that is well over a year). Each loan costs the lender to close the loan - processing, UW, closers, shippers, other staff in addition to the LO. The break even point is tyically well beyond 6 months. That is one model.

The other is local broker shop originates and sells the loan to Wells Fargo. The broker was paid based on a loan that would be on the books for at least X years. So let's say the broker's office was paid 3 points for delivering a loan to another bank. It may actually be 36 months (or more) before the lender breaks even.

The 6 month commission payback penalty is not meant to fully compensate for an early payoff. But what it does do is alert originators and banks to not use mortgage loans as a bridge loan or other short term solution.

This is explanation simplified and there's long and complicated math equations involving the yield on each loan that make my eyes glaze over.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:15 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,414,285 times
Quote:
We don’t want to harm a person. We try to be honorable.
Pay it off in 10 years. That way you won't strip his commission off completely. Honorable thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages