Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2020, 08:18 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,233 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of trying to refinance my house. I currently have an interest rate of 4% and owe about $240k on the loan. The home is valued now at $350k and my credit score is over 800.

I'm getting bombarded with lenders calling me and just trying to get through all the noise. I wanted to ask if it would be better overall to get a loan with a slightly higher interest rate but with low or no closing cost or would it be better to get a lower interest rate and take the hit with the additional points or fees.

For example, I was quoted a rate of 2.99% with a credit of $602 so in that scenario it would be "no cost" other than taxes, insurance, and interest etc.

Versus one with a rate of 2.5% but the cost out of pocket with be $3,000 plus taxes, insurance, and interest. This would be added to my principal loan amount.

I plan on staying in the home for at least five years or so. I think either way it is better as I'm dropping my interest rate but wanted to know which would make more sense and if there was something I was leaving out or missing. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 09:52 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,642,764 times
Search for an amortization schedule online and plug in the numbers. Look for where the break-even point is. If you plan to stay in the home for at least that long, then the lower rate, higher closing cost option is the way to go.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:27 PM

54 posts, read 55,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I'm in the process of trying to refinance my house. I currently have an interest rate of 4% and owe about $240k on the loan. The home is valued now at $350k and my credit score is over 800.

I'm getting bombarded with lenders calling me and just trying to get through all the noise. I wanted to ask if it would be better overall to get a loan with a slightly higher interest rate but with low or no closing cost or would it be better to get a lower interest rate and take the hit with the additional points or fees.

For example, I was quoted a rate of 2.99% with a credit of $602 so in that scenario it would be "no cost" other than taxes, insurance, and interest etc.

Versus one with a rate of 2.5% but the cost out of pocket with be $3,000 plus taxes, insurance, and interest. This would be added to my principal loan amount.

I plan on staying in the home for at least five years or so. I think either way it is better as I'm dropping my interest rate but wanted to know which would make more sense and if there was something I was leaving out or missing. Thanks in advance.
Calculate how much you are saving comparing how long it would take you to pay the difference. Then see if it is within 2 years, considering that you plan to sell in about 5 years, seem still beneficial. If it takes more than 2 years to justify your closing costs, then go for higher interest.

Keep in mind, that in addition to rate cost (discount points), there is also a loan cost that includes origination fee. Always check all those numbers and compare LE from each lender to see the best value. Good luck!

Old 12-12-2020, 09:09 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I think either way it is better as I'm dropping my interest rate but wanted to know which would make more sense and if there was something I was leaving out or missing. Thanks in advance.

You can do the math with this mortgage calculator.

Mortgage/Loan Calculator with Amortization Schedule

Then you'll be in a better position to make a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages