Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 11:26 AM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
It has been my experience over the years that if I deal directly with a BANK that handles their own loans (not just a mortgage broker), then I can eliminate all the unnecessary bulls**t costs and pay only what is really necessary. You'll eliminate the escrow costs (taxes and insurance), mortgage fees, loan origination fees, and just about everything else except a title search, recording fees, and title insurance (and even that might be optional).
I forgot to mention in my last post that that ^^^ is exactly what I did. I refinanced with the same bank that held my mortgage, so they had 8 years of history with me. Their customer service is pretty wonderful.

=====

Wish the OP would come back and update us on his numbers, since they made no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 04:22 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Lowest rate often comes with higher fees.

Lower fees often won't get that brag-worthy rate.
^^^^^^ this

Like the car leases that show $99 a month.........gets everyone excited until they realize the fine print says 10K down!

Old 08-24-2021, 06:05 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
^^^^^^ this

Like the car leases that show $99 a month.........gets everyone excited until they realize the fine print says 10K down!

And 25,000 miles over 3 years.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:06 AM

661 posts, read 833,425 times
To see your real closing costs look at recurring and non recurring costs.

Recurring costs are prepaid interest, insurance and property taxes you have to pay over and over. They may ask for a few months reserves on the property taxes, etc to build up the impound account.

Ever notice you get a new loan the payment might be differed a month or two after close, well the bank is not giving you anything free. Interest is charged from the day they fund the loan, the deferment is because you prepaid those months upfront in the "closing costs", they might read as prepaid interest.

Non Recurring are one time costs like escrow, title, Appraisal and underwriting fees. No so much as a rip off as the appraiser likes to be paid for his/her work, the title company for insuring you are getting clean title, underwriters and escrow companies also like to get paid for their work too.

If you don't like coming out of pocket to pay these fees ask them to raise the rate a little (like a quarter of a point etc) and give you a lender credit to help cover those non-recurring costs.

Old 09-22-2021, 02:14 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
This is absurd. Please tell me how these companies can get away with ripping people off. Please tell me why a 650k house requires a 9k closing costs but a 200k house only requires 3k. Please explain to me why there's an extra 6k for the bigger house..
When I tried to refinance my house last year, I receive the following quotes:

1) Original Lender. Total Closing Cost - $12,646. Interest rate at 3.5% (30 yr. fixed)
2) Alt. Lender #1. Total Closing Cost - $7,385. Interest rate at 3%
3) Alt. Lender #2. Total Closing Cost - $3,644. Interest rate at 2.88%

It pays to shop around.

Old 09-23-2021, 07:00 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Total closing costs really can't be compared from one mortgage to another. They include prepaid interest, and reestablishing escrow reserves. All of those are based on INDIVIDUAL costs.

The size of the loan, points and some other factors also affects the cost of your loan. It impossible (even silly) to compare closing costs with another person's refi/mortgage.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:52 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Total closing costs really can't be compared from one mortgage to another. They include prepaid interest, and reestablishing escrow reserves. All of those are based on INDIVIDUAL costs.

The size of the loan, points and some other factors also affects the cost of your loan. It impossible (even silly) to compare closing costs with another person's refi/mortgage.
In my case,

The commonality is me, as an INDIVIDUAL, with the same loan amount, on the same property, same market value and at the same time (prepaid interest).

The difference is what each loan company offers in term of points, interest rate, how much they decide to charge me on the "junk fees", and what they considered necessary as "pre-paid interest". For example, one company wanted my whole year property tax paid up front to them while the others did not insist on this. Why would I do that since I am more than capable in paying my own property tax?

At the end of day, all I care about is how much it costs ME. That's the discriminator.

Old 09-26-2021, 09:17 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
In my case,

The commonality is me, as an INDIVIDUAL, with the same loan amount, on the same property, same market value and at the same time (prepaid interest).

The difference is what each loan company offers in term of points, interest rate, how much they decide to charge me on the "junk fees", and what they considered necessary as "pre-paid interest". For example, one company wanted my whole year property tax paid up front to them while the others did not insist on this. Why would I do that since I am more than capable in paying my own property tax?

At the end of day, all I care about is how much it costs ME. That's the discriminator.
You are 100% correct. My wording was incorrect. Instead of saying "Total closing costs really can't be compared from one mortgage to another " I should have said "Total closing costs really can't be compared from one BORROWER to another ".

Old 10-21-2021, 10:01 PM

661 posts, read 833,425 times
Do these closing costs include the impound account and prepaid interest?

Prepaid interest is paying a month or two mortgage payment into the closing costs, hence why your first payment is pushed out a month or two.

You also pre pay property taxes and insurance too. Not a rip off because you have to pay anyways. Because we are close to NOV-DEC when most property taxes are due they have to collect for the all the previous months in your current impound account, your current lender should give you a refund of the balance you have now in that account, usually 45 days of closing.

Look at non recurring costs, those are the real cost of the loan. The recurring costs are fees you pay anyways, so they should not be of no worry.

Old 10-22-2021, 11:28 AM

47 posts, read 65,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
There are many great options out there, like take a rate with a lender credit and pay next to $0 in costs. It's being done every day.
Sorry… How does that work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages