Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2008, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 7,505 times

Advertisements

I need help, I live in NC. Last year I got a mortgage for 234,900 on a house appraised for the same. I put $0 down on a 30 yr fixed 7.6% with Suntrust.
I pay over $500 a month in PMI, which a friend recently told me is WAY too much.
My question is, is there a cap for PMI in NC? How do you get a hold of a PMI schedule that shows what you are supposed to be paying? Does anyone what I should do if this really is to much to get my money back, because obviously the bank/insurance co. is gonna fight me tooth and nail before giving a refund.
(I guess I have more than one question)
Anyone know the answer to these or where I can obtain evidence to support my "I'm being overcharged" theory, like caps or pmi schedules?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 03:21 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
I live in NC, and there's no PMI charts that show caps.

I would try to refinance if possible.

PMI rates are determined by your credit score.
You maybe able to take out 1 loan with LPMI. Lender Paid PMI with the same rate you have. This of course applies to your credit score, and doc type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoe4 View Post
I need help, I live in NC. Last year I got a mortgage for 234,900 on a house appraised for the same. I put $0 down on a 30 yr fixed 7.6% with Suntrust.
I pay over $500 a month in PMI, which a friend recently told me is WAY too much.
My question is, is there a cap for PMI in NC? How do you get a hold of a PMI schedule that shows what you are supposed to be paying? Does anyone what I should do if this really is to much to get my money back, because obviously the bank/insurance co. is gonna fight me tooth and nail before giving a refund.
Anyone know the answer to these or where I can obtain evidence to support my "I'm being overcharged" theory, like caps or pmi schedules?
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:14 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
I believe the amount of the down payment also dictates how much you pay in PMI. Once you have twenty percent of your total loan paid, PMI should be dropped.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:44 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
I believe the amount of the down payment also dictates how much you pay in PMI. Once you have twenty percent of your total loan paid, PMI should be dropped.
True, but in the OP's case with zero down, that will be a long, long time. Even when he passes the 20% number, he will have to call and beg them to remove the PMI. They don't give up their golden goose without a fight...!

Old 05-30-2008, 04:47 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
also...who did the appraisal? Was it from the current lender or an independent appraiser?

Last edited by renriq02; 05-30-2008 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: wrong one!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:10 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
True, but in the OP's case with zero down, that will be a long, long time. Even when he passes the 20% number, he will have to call and beg them to remove the PMI. They don't give up their golden goose without a fight...!

Once you are below 78% loan to value (22% equity) they have to drop it legally, so its not much of a fight. At 80% you can present an appraisal or proof and from my experience lenders are usually fairly good about working with you (of course they review the appraisal to make sure its not inflated).

The lender really does not see any "profit" from the PMI, the money goes right to the MI company. Its a nice safety net, but once you hit >20% they will work with you.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:24 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,465 times
Quote:
PMI is based on your down payment, loan amount, credit score, loan type (stated or documented income for example) and other factors. It is hard to tell where it should be without more details, but $500/month is much higher than I have ever seen for a $235,000 loan.

Quote:
My question is, is there a cap for PMI in NC?
There is no real "cap". Based on the paramaters above the underwriter at the lende will use a MI schedule to come up with what your monthly PMI. They will then order MI from one of the PMI companies.

Quote:
How do you get a hold of a PMI schedule that shows what you are supposed to be paying?
One problem is PMI schedules have changed SEVERAL times in the last year. Rates have increased and program guidelines restricted. The MI amount will be based on what was in effect when you were approved, not what is available now.

Quote:
Does anyone what I should do if this really is to much to get my money back, because obviously the bank/insurance co. is gonna fight me tooth and nail before giving a refund.
First you need to see if you have the documents from your closing. It would also be good to contact the person that did the loan. The first step is to find out if the MI company was charging the $500/month. If so you need to take it up with them.

If they were charging less and the error is on the bank side then they would be the ones to speak to.... so its about reading through the paperwork with someone you trust and seeing where the problem lies.

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Good luck... hopefully you have the paperwork from closing/application and can track down the problem. There may be a reason why the PMI is so high... but if it is $500/month then it sounds like something is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages