Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 04:47 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Don't speak on what you don't know. Go to ForRent.com, look up San Diego, CA and filter by price.
I know what the rents are like in the San Diego area. Decent one-bedrooms in downtown San Diego aren't even $1,800. What area do you live in?

Quote:
A cottage in Santa Monica that rented for $1500 back in the late 90s would rent for $4500 or more today. A Venice bungalow that rented for $3000 three years ago just rented for $6000 this month.
Rents in both of these areas aren't as bad as what you are saying unless you are talking about property that are right on the beach. I know someone that rents a 2-bedroom (in a house converted to 3 apartment units) for $1,800 in Venice and they are a few minutes from the canals

Quote:
Speak on what you know. You don't know me and it's likely you've never been here.
I've been to San Diego plenty of times. Now unless you are at the absolute bottom as far as income goes you could save money, as there are a number of other people that make 10, 20, 30% less than you a year and are able to live just fine. You could reduce your living costs by 10% and save the difference if you truly wanted to, or you could pretend that its impossible. Whatever you like.

http://www.amazon.com/Richest-Man-Ba...6766932&sr=8-1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 06:58 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I know what the rents are like in the San Diego area. Decent one-bedrooms in downtown San Diego aren't even $1,800. What area do you live in?
"Downtown San Diego" is 30 miles from my job - which is in Poway. That contradicts your suggestion that I should move closer to work to save gas. Fail.

Quote:
Rents in both of these areas aren't as bad as what you are saying unless you are talking about property that are right on the beach. I know someone that rents a 2-bedroom (in a house converted to 3 apartment units) for $1,800 in Venice and they are a few minutes from the canals
Stop talking out the side of your mouth and do the ForRent.com search. Then come talk to me about what rent is or isn't.

Quote:
I've been to San Diego plenty of times.
What, 10 years ago?

Quote:
Now unless you are at the absolute bottom as far as income goes you could save money, as there are a number of other people that make 10, 20, 30% less than you a year and are able to live just fine.
I live just fine too - but those people can't save 20 grand and neither can I. And we're not talking some 5-10 years, I'm talking about within the span of maybe a year.

Quote:
You could reduce your living costs by 10% and save the difference if you truly wanted to, or you could pretend that its impossible. Whatever you like.
My living costs are bare minimum for the lifestyle I require. That means, close proximity to work, safe neighborhood, low noise, and yes...attractive. Sacrificing any one of those is unacceptable - and I could care less what you say, you wouldn't settle either. The only other option is to live in a ghetto, which I did, and inevitably ended up here because I just could not tolerate that to save a few bucks.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
"Downtown San Diego" is 30 miles from my job - which is in Poway. That contradicts your suggestion that I should move closer to work to save gas. Fail.
My point wasn't that you should move there, but rather downtown is one of the more expense areas and even there you can one-bedrooms for under $1,800.

Quote:
What, 10 years ago?
I was just there 5 months ago.

Quote:
Stop talking out the side of your mouth and do the ForRent.com search. Then come talk to me about what rent is or isn't.
ForRent.com isn't exactly where you go to find good deals. Regardless that site shows most of the one-bedrooms in Poway starting in the $1,000 range. Poway isn't a particularly expensive area of San Diego county.

Quote:
acrificing any one of those is unacceptable - and I could care less what you say, you wouldn't settle either.
Right you don't want to sacrifice, you want to complain. But its not my problem, I am able to save plenty of money because ahem....I made particular sacrifices.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
My point wasn't that you should move there, but rather downtown is one of the more expense areas and even there you can one-bedrooms for under $1,800.

I was just there 5 months ago.

ForRent.com isn't exactly where you go to find good deals. Regardless that site shows most of the one-bedrooms in Poway starting in the $1,000 range. Poway isn't a particularly expensive area of San Diego county.

Right you don't want to sacrifice, you want to complain. But its not my problem, I am able to save plenty of money because ahem....I made particular sacrifices.
You want to live in a ghetto, do you. I refuse to. Not in the interest of saving money.

Since you refuse to do the search properly:

Orange Gardens: (1 bedroom which is essentially the size of a closet, no security whatsoever)

Pomerado Glens: see Orange Gardens.

Parkview Village: numerous complaints, no security, no washer/dryer (the root of the complaints has to do with the so-called laundry facilities)

Willow Creek: size of a closet, no security.

Countryside: No security, high deposits, laundry facility complaints

Summerlyn: No central air conditioning, no security, price nearly $1400

Another issue is your deal with 1 bedrooms. I only deal with 2 bedrooms. I don't like to pay separately for storage space.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:36 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
"
My living costs are bare minimum for the lifestyle I require. That means, close proximity to work, safe neighborhood, low noise, and yes...attractive. Sacrificing any one of those is unacceptable - and I could care less what you say, you wouldn't settle either. The only other option is to live in a ghetto, which I did, and inevitably ended up here because I just could not tolerate that to save a few bucks.

Exactly! You've made a lifestyle choice...then you complain about it. Some of us made the alternate lifestyle choice and suffered a little bit (no bells and whistles) so that we could save for a down payment. Guess what? It pays off in the end. BTW, yes I did live in a less than salubrious apartment and drive a beater because my job required a car and could not use public transport. Saving gets to be a habit, paid cash for the new car 2 years after buying the house with 20% down.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Exactly! You've made a lifestyle choice...then you complain about it. Some of us made the alternate lifestyle choice and suffered a little bit (no bells and whistles) so that we could save for a down payment. Guess what? It pays off in the end. BTW, yes I did live in a less than salubrious apartment and drive a beater because my job required a car and could not use public transport. Saving gets to be a habit, paid cash for the new car 2 years after buying the house with 20% down.
You're not in this city. In Texas, yes I'm sure I could put money away. The word "suburb" is almost an urban myth out there, whereas it's next to impossible to find decent paying jobs in the urban areas out here.

Look gents, here's the bottom line to this:

• San Diego is overpriced;
  • Income is not commensurate with the price of everything;
  • California has so many taxes, fines, fees, and allotments that the money you end up making will equal roughly half of what got reported;
  • If you don't already own a home and are taking advantage of a tax break, you're losing money...money you can't save; and
  • Back when I was in a position to save, home prices started to ramp to three times their true value, making saving a moot point. Now that they're down, I don't feel that I should have to put my life, car, or belongings at risk to save a few bucks to make a bank happy.
Period. Point blank.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
You want to live in a ghetto, do you. I refuse to. Not in the interest of saving money.
I don't live in a ghetto. I don't think any place in Poway is a "ghetto", perhaps you've never been to an actual ghetto? And my god...Now security? No washer/dryer in the unit! How could you even live in such an environment! hahaha...

Quote:
Another issue is your deal with 1 bedrooms. I only deal with 2 bedrooms. I don't like to pay separately for storage space.
This keeps getting better. 2 bedroom so you can store some junk.

Anyways, good luck with your future.

Quote:
California has so many taxes, fines, fees, and allotments that the money you end up making will equal roughly half of what got reported
Wow, I seem to be really lucky. This doesn't happen to me.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:12 PM

84 posts, read 491,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I'm glad you feel better but I have some news for you. Home ownership is not a RIGHT that is owed to you but a PRIVLEGE to be earned. Saving is not easy - you have to give things up to do it. When we saved for our home, we put every cent we could in our savings account. That means we did not eat out, go to movies or go on vacation. We shopped at Walmart for clothes rather than a department stores and the thermostat was set 5 degrees higher in summer and 5 degrees lower in winter to save on electricity...I can go on and name a thousand other little things we did to save money. Long story short - it took almost 10 years to have enough money saved that we could buy the home that we wanted - with a down payment. We did it a dollar at a time. Stop making excuses and and lookiing for someone to hand you your dream - work for it and make it work. You will appreciate it much more in the end. Yup - I feel better now too.
#1. I never said it was my RIGHT to own a home, it would sure be nice to be able to though!

#2. My parents purchased their home 30+ years ago with one child and another on the way WITH NO MONEY DOWN, and they NEVER missed a payment and we never had the lights turned off. We did without a lot of extras and still had good lives. Now that same home is worth over 10 times the original purchase price.

#3. Living in an apartment with no yard and a 1yr old sucks! It sure would be nice to be able to play outside without having to drive to the park. Is that wrong of me to want that for my child?

#4. I would love to put the money that is basically p*ssed away on rent each month towards a home that was my own.

#5. I never said that we have NO savings and that we purchase everything we desire & take lavish vacations & go to movies every week. Quite the contrary, we do without many "extras". For instance, I just cut my husband's hair tonight instead of him paying to get it done. I'd cut my own if I could, but I go for about 6 months (or sometimes longer) to get it done. I only buy clothes on sale ( I got a great deal on 2 bras last week...$10.00 each on sale, originally $38.00 each, I needed it pretty bad because I only had 1) We haven't gone to a movie in over 2 years. I could go on and on, but I think my examples are sufficient. We have savings, just not quite enough yet, I think.

#6. I don't want to wait 10 years to buy a house, and I don't think I'll have to. Most of the homes we have looked at are under $200,000.

#7. I wasn't making excuses, I was just stating that it is a bit tougher now a days for some people that are young & "credit-worthy" to get a home. It just blows, I was just venting & not "talking down" to anyone.

#8. I'm glad you got the chance to feel "high and mighty" while responding to my post.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:21 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamazing75 View Post
#1. I never said it was my RIGHT to own a home, it would sure be nice to be able to though!

#2. My parents purchased their home 30+ years ago with one child and another on the way WITH NO MONEY DOWN, and they NEVER missed a payment and we never had the lights turned off. We did without a lot of extras and still had good lives. Now that same home is worth over 10 times the original purchase price.

#3. Living in an apartment with no yard and a 1yr old sucks! It sure would be nice to be able to play outside without having to drive to the park. Is that wrong of me to want that for my child?

#4. I would love to put the money that is basically p*ssed away on rent each month towards a home that was my own.

#5. I never said that we have NO savings and that we purchase everything we desire & take lavish vacations & go to movies every week. Quite the contrary, we do without many "extras". For instance, I just cut my husband's hair tonight instead of him paying to get it done. I'd cut my own if I could, but I go for about 6 months (or sometimes longer) to get it done. I only buy clothes on sale ( I got a great deal on 2 bras last week...$10.00 each on sale, originally $38.00 each, I needed it pretty bad because I only had 1) We haven't gone to a movie in over 2 years. I could go on and on, but I think my examples are sufficient. We have savings, just not quite enough yet, I think.

#6. I don't want to wait 10 years to buy a house, and I don't think I'll have to. Most of the homes we have looked at are under $200,000.

#7. I wasn't making excuses, I was just stating that it is a bit tougher now a days for some people that are young & "credit-worthy" to get a home. It just blows, I was just venting & not "talking down" to anyone.

#8. I'm glad you got the chance to feel "high and mighty" while responding to my post.
Not feeling high and mighty and certainly not talking down to you. I have an opinion and I'm just stating the facts as I see them. Tough times are not new. Every generation has had its own set of obstacles to overcome. I'll say it again, if you save $50.00 per week, you will have a down payment on a $200,000 FHA house in less than 3 years. $25.00 per week and you have it in 5 years. Nothing wrong with wanting a house of your own but I stand by my belief that zero down mortgages are not a good thing. In that I guess we will agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages