Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:05 AM

78,645 posts, read 60,839,402 times

Advertisements

Doesn't homeowners insurance come with some sort of living expense provision so you can rent an apt. or hotel room etc while your place gets fixed up?

For apartment dwellers, can't they um....rent another apartment?

Certainly some charitable aid etc. would come into play to help with shortfalls etc. but I'm rather wondering what the govt. doing would do there that wouldn't be handled more efficiently locally etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 07:08 AM

78,645 posts, read 60,839,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
At least these empty houses that are not even listed are used to help people who really need it and I assume the people in Texas need houses for many month to come, since it is all gone and a huge mess....why not helping these people...The house next to me is empty since Sept. last year and in Nov. the people gave back the keys to the mortgage company and at that point stopped paying the mortgage....before they tried to sell the house with numerous realtors and for way higher than the builder is building the same model...so all these professionals couldn't figure out that you have to list it for similar or less than the new construction...no they asked $ 70 K more....no wonder no one is interested!
Your neighbors weren't dumb. They decided that their house wasn't worth what it was and that they were upside down on it. So, they tried to sell it for the inflated value KNOWING they would just default if it didn't sell.

It's not unlikely that your neighbors could have made their mortgage payments but chose otherwise.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:21 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,929,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
it just has to be instituted with military precision. monthly check-ins and walk throughs etc.

just like if we wanted national health care, the military would have to do it. otherwise it would just be chaos.
Alice...time to come back to the real world!

Old 09-19-2008, 07:36 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,920,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Doesn't homeowners insurance come with some sort of living expense provision so you can rent an apt. or hotel room etc while your place gets fixed up?

Certainly some charitable aid etc. would come into play to help with shortfalls etc. but I'm rather wondering what the govt. doing would do there that wouldn't be handled more efficiently locally etc.
not when it is from a hurricane, there is hurricane insurance and flood insurance they are separate insurance policy's on top of hazard. hurricane deductibles are $5000+ for most people(its based on type of coverage and % of value) that have a policy cant afford to make a claim.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:42 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,059,901 times
it's not a terrible idea. but i think people might not take care of the house and just freeload forever. the house may get destroyed anyway.

i think a better idea might be to have people sign some sort of conditional lease. that they can stay for free up to 3 months then after that have to pay rent. or they can move out till they fixed their original damaged home or found another place to live.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:02 AM

in 30 years of renting yearly rentals and vacation rentals, i have had 5 bad renters out of probably close to 300-400 couples.

most people take care and are responsible.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:11 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,929,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
in 30 years of renting yearly rentals and vacation rentals, i have had 5 bad renters out of probably close to 300-400 couples.

most people take care and are responsible.
When someone is paying for something, the general trend is to treat it relatively well. When someone is getting something for FREE, it's different.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:54 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,233,736 times
Knowing that 3 of my friends lost their homes due to Ike...well 2 recieved storm surge of 6+ feet, and one had her home wiped off it's piers. I still would not advocate doing this. FEMA and their insurance companies (and friends) will take care of them until their houses are livable or rebuilt.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Knowing that 3 of my friends lost their homes due to Ike...well 2 recieved storm surge of 6+ feet, and one had her home wiped off it's piers. I still would not advocate doing this. FEMA and their insurance companies (and friends) will take care of them until their houses are livable or rebuilt.
i was saying it would be through fema

Old 09-20-2008, 08:58 PM

475 posts, read 1,306,330 times
A nice idea but I don't think it would ever work for reasons others have listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages