Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 04:47 PM

546 posts, read 2,204,495 times

Advertisements

is it kind of like a gamble on when to lock into the mortgage i rate? is this true? like it depends on timing, when your offer got accepted, when the closing deadline is coming up..all these factors, then when it's time to lock into the i rate, you got to pretty much leave it up to your destiny? the i rate went down these days, do you foresee it to go up soon again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 06:03 PM

30 posts, read 131,766 times
well. at max you can lock the rate for 60 days. so you start looking around 2 months before your closing. if your closing date is not finalized subscribe to bankrate.com alerts. work with local agent, and ask him what you will get (bcas what you see in bankrate.com might not be the rate for YOU bcas of various factors). and if you feel rate is low, lock it.

before closing, if the rates went low, your agent can get the new rate from a diffferent lendor. you loose nothing..

Old 10-24-2008, 06:09 PM

1,673 posts, read 7,019,437 times
It can be a gamble, but rates can somewhat be predicted based on economic data. Rates over the last 2 days have increased by about .375% but in my opinion they are going to come back down.

I base this on several factors
1. Rates tend to be lower in the winter and higher in the summer. This has been accurate 8 of the past 10 years.
2. Rates follow inflation, if inflation is high or rising, rates increase. If inflation is dropping or low, then rates tend to follow it downward. All recent economic reports show that inflation is moderating and this is most obvious when looking at a barrel of oil.
3. When there is weakness in the economy it generally leads to lower rates. As a general rule of thumb, bad news for the economy is generally good news for mortgage rates.
4. The government is encouraging investors to buy mortgage backed securities. As these bonds are purchased, it drives there price higher and causing the yield to drop. Lower yield lower rates on mortgages.

However, we are currently in unchartered waters and nothing is acting on the fundamental data so it is much harder to predict. The best thing you can do to insure you get the best rate is keep you credit score is high as possible.

With all that being said, it is still my opinion we will have lower rates in the near future.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:22 PM
GMU

56 posts, read 552,972 times
Hmm, well lately it's not looking good...I am glad I already locked in on a few loans. If for some reason they drop again, most "rate-lock" agreements allow you a one-time rate-adjustment for free. Of course, you can always find another lender and lock in with them before your closing, also.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:14 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,125,137 times
The way rates have been going lately, they are likely to be back in the 5's in the next 2 weeks. it is hurting my brain watching the rate. I'm locked at 6.375 and I enter my re-lock zone in 2 weeks. Knowing my luck the rates will stay high until just after me free re-lock period ends.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:54 PM

768 posts, read 4,342,591 times
Yeah it has been tough watching rates increase, they've been at their highest in quite some time. Keep your eye on mortgage backed security prices and you'll have a good indication of where rates are headed.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:06 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile I am praying for rates to fall

There are buyers just waiting - and they want to be in the 5's. Otherwise, they'll wait.

Also, loan modifications are now happening and they see their co-worker, friend, whatever now at 5.00% fixed. So, they want that too.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
I'm locked at 6.375 and I enter my re-lock zone in 2 weeks. Knowing my luck the rates will stay high until just after me free re-lock period ends.
how do you relock if you are already locked? did you already get your offer accepted, contract back? what's the process of locking and relocking? any fees? time frame in between?

Old 10-30-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanetheMortgageMan View Post
Keep your eye on mortgage backed security prices and you'll have a good indication of where rates are headed.
where do you see this mortgage backed security prices and how to tell how it effects the next rate might be?

Old 10-30-2008, 06:30 PM

768 posts, read 4,342,591 times
Some lenders will allow a "float down" if rates get significantly better during the lock period, and usually only towards the end of the lock period. It's not standard to have a float down feature, and each lender who has one will have a slightly different policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages