Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:37 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,941,823 times

Advertisements

Ugggh. I am so mad right now. .. Countrywide currently owns my mortgage which is in both mine and my husband's names. I just got a letter stating that my husband's information was breached (including social, address, etc) and his information was sold by a former employee. Countrywide offered my husband free 2 years' worth of credit monitoring and an apology.

I called the "helpline" and explained that I wanted free credit monitoring, too, and they said no--only for my husband. They couldn't offer any guarantees that my info wasn't stolen, just that they're only offering the codes to people to whom they sent letters. I think they only sent letters to the first name on the loans because that's how they always send information. Anyway, they wouldn't let me talk to a supervisor, they wouldn't tell me who had the authority to approve the credit monitoring for me....nothing. What else can I do?

I'm already taking the usual steps to protect both of our information but this just really p**** me off. This is their stupid mistake and now I'm stuck fixing it. Grrrrrrr. I am just so frustrated. I mean when are these companies going to be forced to stop passing the buck and take responsibility for their actions? This happened because they hired an employee who, I kid you not, stuck a thumbdrive into one of the company computers and copied files! These idiots shouldn't be allowed to surf the net much less have access to sensitive information. Ok, I'm going to go calm down now......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 02:48 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,849,858 times
I received the same letter. I likely will consult with my attorney before I agree to anything they are offering, as this may release them from liability.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:58 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,249,829 times
At the very least they should offer the BOTH of you free credit monitoring for the life of the mortgage. I agree with the above poster. Consult an attorney.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:26 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,665,529 times
Same thing happened with IBM. Someone stole information or what they refer to as being compromised. They also provided a 1 year credit monitoring. Funny thing is, they want you to send your information to verify who you are by fax or email (mind you, not encrypted). Makes you wonder how good their monitoring efforts are if they don't protect that information or don't already have it.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
What makes you certain that IBM is on the recieving or sending end of the communication. A forger could simply send a false letter and have people send in their information and then rob their accounts.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:24 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times
"The FBI on Friday arrested a former Countrywide Financial Corp. employee and another man in an alleged scheme to steal and sell sensitive personal information, including Social Security numbers, of as many as 2 million mortgage applicants."

http://cyberinsecure.com/countrywide...tomer-records/

Old 09-10-2008, 12:55 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,665,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What makes you certain that IBM is on the recieving or sending end of the communication. A forger could simply send a false letter and have people send in their information and then rob their accounts.
Exactly. I ended up calling a rep at IBM (it was also in the headlines/newspaper-I believe the scenario was they "lost" personal data when transfering files for archiving) to verify if they were actually approving a 3rd party to monitor the activity. They were. However I still didn't understand if this was the case, why wouldn't they already have my information. The monitoring company's name is Kroll.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:37 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,941,823 times
Thanks everybody. At this point I've placed the fraud alert (on both of our accounts) and reviewing my credit reports. Also going to go with the credit freeze since they sold our social, too.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 5,292 times
Unhappy Countrywide mortgage

Well, it seems like I'm not the only one who received the letter of breach of confidentiality by Countrywide. But seriously, considering what they have done to me lately, this is just more paperwork to forward to my attorney showing how Countrywide has maliciously and deceitfully been representing their so called customers for awhile now.

I was one of the thousands who bought a home with a 3 year ARM, and Countrywide called me several times practically begging me to refinance thru their office, then I'd receive a letter stating they couldn't help me, then they'd call again. and and again. They finally said they would review my loan for a re-modification loan. They then sent me official documents to sign advising me "Congratulations you're re-modification loan was approved," going on to say I wouldn't have a loan payment the following month, and my new loan payment was due on the 1st of September. I was elated, I could finally pay off some debt, and then refinance alltogether!! I overnighted the documents back to them, signed sealed and delivered.

THEN in mid August I get a call from the collection department telling me my payment was late? I advised there must be a mistake as I'd gotten a re-modification loan? They advised me, "no they decided to deny that, so you're payment is due?" I freaked!! I tried getting thru to every department in Countrywide, and no one will help me. Every time I call, they tell me something new, even went so far as to blame it on the Government and tell me not to worry about my late payment, just go ahead and skip a month, because IT WON'T AFFECT YOUR CBR AT ALL?? I was given the name of an AVP of the customer rentention department named PWELLA LARBIE @ 480-457-3064. They advised me she would surely help. TEN CALLS LATER, STILL NO CALL BACK!!

Now my loan is officially in default because I spent my loan payment on other bills. All the while I thought I was moving ahead, and am actually behind. This has caused me so much stress my BP went to 228/120 and I've had to be put on BP meds.

I am seriously at my wits end, and adon't know what else to do..

Last edited by cgalle; 09-26-2008 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: spell check

Old 11-01-2008, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 7,186 times
Default Get what you are owed

Please visit CountrywideLawsuit.net - Are you a victim? Know Your Rights and Join the Lawsuit! to join the class action lawsuit. Anyone who has so much as applied for a countrywide loan is eligible. Spouse too, even and especially if you never got a letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages